Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Ban-Luca and stall
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:50 pm 
Noxius

I have a few questions about Ban-Luca's stall ability:
1.Enemy models don't have to move 'to-within' 3", they simply have to move while 'within' 3", correct? So, for instance, a model 2" away cannot simply walk away from a ready BL. (swift models aside)

2. Can BL stop an enemy models activation if they push and then follow up to within 3"?

3. Can she stop an enemy model during a reposition?

4. Can enemy models willingly gain fatigue? Or could they declare 2 moves, moving 0" to gain fatigue? In the event they can, is declaring a move of 0" still considered to be moving?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ban-Luca and stall
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:58 am 
Viridis

Let's do this!

1. Correct.

2. Good question. It doesn't say that the enemy has to be taking a Move action, just that they move, so I would say yes - you can stop an enemy attack action, if they are moving as part of resolving the attack. So you could stop someone trying to follow up after pushing her, ending the activation and cancelling the effects of the rest of the attack.

3. Same as 2. If she can stop a follow-up move, then she can stop a reposition move too (and whatever remains of the action that the movement was part of).

4. I would say that you can't just declare "my model is gaining fatigue". But you could declare an action that gives fatigue, and then not do anything. For example, you could declare an Attack action, and target a model out of range. That would give you fatigue for no effect. I think declaring a Move action but then not moving would count as exactly what it sounds like - so you would be both declaring and resolving a Move action, for things that trigger off those, and gaining fatigue, but you wouldn't be just "moving" for things that trigger off that (like Stall).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:40 pm 
Crudus

I would say "yes" to numbers 2 and 3. Reactions are usually very specific in terms of what triggers them, but Ban-Luca's stall is pretty much a custom reaction just for her, and the condition is the model moving while within 3 inches of her, so I'd say she can use her reaction whenever she wants when the model is moving within that radius.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:24 am 
Viridis

Which is actually pretty impressive in terms of upping her survival. You could argue that if she can react, she can just counterattack, but I can see stalling an attacker instead as being a viable alternative - especially since she can do it without it being herself that is being attacked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:29 am 
Noxius

She is very very powerful used correctly. Best case, you can cost someone a Fatigue to move and force them to exhausted to attack. Even in the worst case you can usually prevent someone from getting into the position they want for an important push or something.

If you don't mind dropping into regular clear turns (which isn't awful with some beasts on hand) you can really frustrate an opponent just by reacting with her, then clearing her fatigue each turn until your whole cohort has activated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:36 am 
Viridis

LunarSol wrote:
If you don't mind dropping into regular clear turns (which isn't awful with some beasts on hand) you can really frustrate an opponent just by reacting with her, then clearing her fatigue each turn until your whole cohort has activated.

That's what my opponent did to me with Otho last time I played - there is no point in attacking with Otho, because his role is to stand next to enemies and prevent them from using Favor. So he just moves and counterattacks as appropriate to make sure he is where he wants to be and is hard to remove.

And I like to do it with Frigge (the one time I played her) because it is much easier to do Retaliate damage when you counterattack. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:28 pm 
Noxius

Yeah, I'm definitely trying to get a better handle on the reaction game. It's tough to have models available for in 3v3, which is one of the reasons I'm excited to bump up to 5v5.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:43 pm 
Viridis

It's weird, and interesting, because different people seem to play this game in incredibly different ways. When I play 3v3, we do reactions all the time. And we tend to only have clear turns rarely and only late in the game, because nobody wants to exhaust their models, so we only fatigue them and then clear them again constantly...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:58 pm 
Noxius

Yeah. Exhausting a model is kind of a death sentence for them. I'm not entirely sure the extra success AND extra push are needed on top of the model being unable to act for at least 3 turns. Still, if a model is fatigued its often pretty easy to exhaust them against terrain and anything close enough to a wounding hazard is probably worth killing with a pair of attacks (the near auto 6 damage on top of going to exhausted feels like a little much honestly). If you're reacting at all its pretty hard to keep up with the -1 Fatigue per turn in my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:03 pm 
Viridis

True enough. I guess what I am trying to say is that games can be very different. Sometimes we take no clear turns, and sometimes we do reactions all the time...