Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Leaving melee range
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:31 pm 
Noxius

If my model is engaged with 2+ enemy models then manages to move one away from itself (e.g.: push, Atlas throw) and does a follow-up maneuver and/or gets a Re-position of his own:

1. Can he leave the engagement of the second enemy gladiator to Re-position and/or follow-up the initial target of his attacks?

2. If yes, does this trigger Reactions (assuming the opponent is in a Ready state and/or hasn't already used his 1 allowable Reactionary for this turn)?

Anything I didn't think to address?

Post subject: Re: Leaving melee range
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:32 am 
Viridis

I'm not entirely sure I get the nature of the question, but I will give it a whack.

1. Yes, I don't see why you should not be able to move out of the engagement range of the other enemies. Generally, being engaged has no effect on your ability to move, unless the models involved have special rules to that effect. Mago's Entagle ability, for example, would make it cost a fatigue to move out of his engagement range, and it looks like that would apply during attack follow-ups too.

2. Reactions can always be triggered under the appropriate circumstances, but I'm not sure which ones would apply here. "Move" and "Opportunity attack" reactions both only trigger after and before "Move" actions, respectively, and following up or repositioning while attacking an enemy model does not count as a "Move" action. To my knowledge, there are no reactions that can be triggered during the resolution of an attack.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:44 am 
Viridis

I'm assuming the silence from other veteran forumites means everyone agrees. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:48 am 
Noxius

Wishing hit it on the head. I think you're getting the "opportunity attack" reaction mixed up a bit. It only triggers when a model declares a move action. Shifting, being pushed, and repositioning are all not move actions, so they don't trigger opportunity attacks. The only other rule about not being able to move out of engagement range is the Entangle ability that Wishing mentioned, currently found on Mago and Marcus Furius.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:29 pm 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
To my knowledge, there are no reactions that can be triggered during the resolution of an attack.

I think the only one that might qualify is the Disengage skill as that allows you to make a free Move Action after the resolution of your attack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:31 am 
Viridis

RidiQles wrote:
Wishing wrote:
To my knowledge, there are no reactions that can be triggered during the resolution of an attack.

I think the only one that might qualify is the Disengage skill as that allows you to make a free Move Action after the resolution of your attack.

Hmm... theoretically, but seems unlikely. If I attack you, you suffer damage, and the damage triggers your Disengage, then you might be taking a Move action, but you are taking it on my turn. Can I declare a reaction during my own turn?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:40 am 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
Hmm... theoretically, but seems unlikely. If I attack you, you suffer damage, and the damage triggers your Disengage, then you might be taking a Move action, but you are taking it on my turn. Can I declare a reaction during my own turn?

You cannot. It has to be during your opponent's turn.
The scenario would only be possible if the Attacker somehow managed to trigger the Disengage skill of one its own models. The Defender would then be able make a Reaction, if possible.
As you say though, that's not very likely since the only way I can see that happening is if the Defender makes a successful Counterattack Reaction and does enough damage to trigger Disengage on the Attacker's model. However, the Defender would have already used their Reaction in that case and could not do so again in the same turn...

Hmmm. How about this crazy fringe case: Player A uses Vargr to attack Player B's Frigge. Vargr fails to achieve any net successes, so Frigge's Retaliate skill activates and she deals 2 damage to Vargr. That damage causes Vargr to generate a Favor from its vitality track, but he chooses to activate its Disengage skill instead and make a Move Action away from Frigge. Frigge, still having made no Reaction this turn, declares an Opportunity Attack.

I think that would be a legal sequence of events... though not very likely to occur.

(That mental exercise was way more interesting than it should have been... I have too much Arena Rex in the brain).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:42 am 
Viridis

Haha, yep, that seems legit. Retaliate seems like one of the few ways to deal damage to an enemy on their own turn without using a reaction. Maybe Medusa's Ichor is another way?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:17 pm 
Noxius

Hey, so I had a chance to play again recently and it did occur to me that any reactionary actions would not be available from such things as Push or Re-position, etc. because they are not "Action" based. Thus, it seems models CAN move out of enemy engagements via follow-ups and re-positions with little to no concern of retaliation.

Thanks for the help with this. Perhaps I'm used to most games whereby a consequence is imposed when trying to leave an enemy engagement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:29 pm 
Crudus

Gladiator Squirrel wrote:
Perhaps I'm used to most games whereby a consequence is imposed when trying to leave an enemy engagement.

Yes, Arena Rex is a little different than other games in that regard.
In fact, Opportunity Attacks are triggered by an Active Opponent declaring a Move Action while inside the engagement range of the reactive model... it doesn't matter whether that Move Action has the Active mode leave the engagement range or not. So if you try to use a Move Action to get into a better attack position you are still leaving yourself open for an Opportunity Attack.