Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:10 am 
Viridis

Was just reading this card and got to wonder.

Dictate: Cost: 1 Fatigue. This model's controller may activate the Exploit or Maneuver Tactic at no Favor cost. The target of this tactic must be another model within 5" of this model.

Exploit: Tactic - Cost: 1 Favor. A friendly gladiator model resolves a [push] against an enemy model within its engagement range. This tactic may only be used once per Clear Turn or activation.

Just to check that I'm reading it right... Dictate is *not* a Tactic. Dictate is a special ability that allows other non-Sulla models to use Tactics during Sulla's activation. Is that right? If so, is this the only ability so far in the game that lets you use Tactics outside of a clear turn?

And Sulla can use Dictate twice, costing one fatigue each time, and he could command one model to use Exploit and another model to use Maneuver. Because he cannot command two different models to both use Exploit, because Exploit has a rule saying it can only be used once per activation. Right?

Would I be right in assuming, I wonder that the targets of these Tactics cannot use them if they are exhausted?

I'm just wondering if I am misunderstanding, because I think it is a little tricky to figure out exactly how these rules interact...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:23 am 
Viridis

Also, just to round off the "Sulla has some confusing abilities" round:

Veteran - While defending, this model may reroll unsuccessful dice once.

It doesn't say *one* dice, so I take it that means all of them (even though he only has DEF 1). So if I spend two Favor dice on a defence roll for Sulla, and all three dice fail, then I can re-roll all three dice?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:39 am 
Noxius

Just my take, but I'd assume once per defense he gets to refill all dice, hopefully being useful with an assist or favor, but only on the first attack.

As far as dictate, I'd love to hear more about it. It's been thoroughly confusing me haha, hence not even using it in my games. I think I've only used Exploit on a clear turn to reposition

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:53 am 
Viridis

viley wrote:
Just my take, but I'd assume once per defense he gets to refill all dice, hopefully being useful with an assist or favor, but only on the first attack.

Good call on the assist being another way to get more mileage out of Veteran. But why only against the first attack? I presume that against second and subsequent attacks, the defence dice used are considered "new" dice. :)

viley wrote:
As far as dictate, I'd love to hear more about it. It's been thoroughly confusing me haha, hence not even using it in my games. I think I've only used Exploit on a clear turn to reposition

Exactly. How do you mean with the reposition?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 am 
Noxius

It says refill once, so I assume it's only first attack.

And on the followup from the push, I tap on a friendly base thus displacing and cycling whoever around

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:26 pm 
Viridis

When it says "reroll dice once", I assume it means "each dice once", not "use ability once". Otherwise it would have to specify once per what? Per game? :)

If you are saying that you use the push to push a friendly model into another friendly model, and then that would allow you to use the Echelon ability to move them on top of each other and then displace them, I'm not sure that's intended. Echelon says "During their activation, they may end their movement actions overlapping the bases of other Legio XIII gladiator models in your cohort".

I feel fairly sure that the reason it says "during their activation" is because it's not meant to work when they are being pushed by someone else. Voluntary movement only.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:34 pm 
Noxius

Nope, not push each other. They push an enemy model, and when you follow up you do the clip. You just have to move closer but not directly towards the model pushed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:59 pm 
Noxius

I think Sulla's Dictate can only be used during a clear turn because both of the elected abilities are tactics. Tactics can only be used during a clear turn.

This came up during a game night but I can't remember how we reached to that conclusion. It made sense at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:20 pm 
Viridis

viley wrote:
Nope, not push each other. They push an enemy model, and when you follow up you do the clip. You just have to move closer but not directly towards the model pushed

Still. Isn't the whole point of Exploit that since it is a tactic, it is not being used during that models activation, and Echelon says it only works during the model's activation?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:22 pm 
Viridis

Chabbernackle wrote:
I think Sulla's Dictate can only be used during a clear turn because both of the elected abilities are tactics. Tactics can only be used during a clear turn.

That's what I thought at first too. But it doesn't say that Dictate is a tactic. It specifically only says that Exploit is a tactic. If they were both tactics, it would say "Tactic" under Dictate, which it doesn't. And Dictate being a normal ability is the only way that the "during activation" part of Exploit makes sense (since Dictate allows it to be used during an activation as a special thing).