Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Dextarius and Overrun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:06 am 
Viridis

Was just looking over this card and got to ponder.

Overrun says: "Models displaced by this model are shifted 1" directly away from this model after being displaced".

How can Dextarius displace other models? He is not a titan, and has no special rules to allow him to displace that I can see.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:35 am 
Noxius

Only way that could happen is if Ywain is mounted and they share the Legio benefits while together.

I know it's been a point of contention, but that's the only way that could work

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:51 am 
Viridis

Good call. I did not remember that ability.

It would mean that he can only ever overrun his own friendly models - but it is one way in which the ability could theoretically come into play.

Despite this, I kinda feel like the most likely explanation here is that it was forgotten that he cannot displace enemy models because he is not a titan when the rule was written. So I would think that the easiest fix would be to add the sentence "This model may displace other models when moving" to the beginning of the Overrun rule. Or add that as a separate rule.

I assume that the intent of a rule called Overrun is that it can be used to trample enemy models.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:06 am 
Noxius

I'm betting he was supposed to have that but in this manner "This model may displace other models when resolving a [push] effect." He's a warhorse so I feel that he's designed to break up a crowd.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:08 am 
Noxius

I think it's intended to only be friendly. It would be waaaay too powerful if not. You could, with the right positioning, throw multiple enemies off into lethal hazards this way.

Ive had enough bad experiences with Zahra,s [skull] ability haha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 am 
Noxius

You may be right and I could see where that would be a big problem given the right circumstances. Would make Sulla more interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:35 am 
Noxius

viley wrote:
I think it's intended to only be friendly. It would be waaaay too powerful if not. You could, with the right positioning, throw multiple enemies off into lethal hazards this way.

Ive had enough bad experiences with Zahra,s [skull] ability haha

Zahra's is just a shift though (one of the very few in the game) and can't actually push you in to hazards.

From the rules:
Shift: A shift is similar to a push, with the exception that it stops immediately before base contact with other models or hazards. In practice, it’s easiest to place models as though they had been pushed, and simply ignore any results that would have been triggered if it were a push. Shifts are not pushes, and cannot be resisted in the same way as pushes. Mounted riders cannot be shifted on their own. If a mount is shifted, its mounted rider is shifted with it.

Caveat : A shift will not cause a living hazard to attack..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:51 am 
Noxius

Lethal hazard doesn't require a push to remove a model though.

Lethal Hazard : (Cliff, Pit, Deep Water) - If any part of a model’s base touches a Lethal Hazard, that model is defeated. Mark any remaining vitality boxes and resolve their effects (if any). Then remove the model from play. Any additional successes after a model is pushed into a Lethal Hazard are lost.

I think these are what he's referring to as bad day makers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:41 pm 
Noxius

DillionDai wrote:

Lethal Hazard : (Cliff, Pit, Deep Water) - If any part of a model’s base touches a Lethal Hazard, that model is defeated. Mark any remaining vitality boxes and resolve their effects (if any). Then remove the model from play. Any additional successes after a model is pushed into a Lethal Hazard are lost.

Shift says to stop the model BEFORE making base contact with a hazard. Hazard states that a model needs to come into base contact for it to take effect. Shift shouldnt be knocking people into a pit or any other lethal hazard.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:58 pm 
Noxius

Chabbernackle wrote:
DillionDai wrote:

Shift says to stop the model BEFORE making base contact with a hazard. Hazard states that a model needs to come into base contact for it to take effect. Shift shouldnt be knocking people into a pit or any other lethal hazard.

Well then, got a few gladiators that need to be getting out of some pits haha. Never realized her ability can't throw you into the pit