Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Tactics While Mounted
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:32 am 
Noxius

Does the maneuver tactic work on a mounted pair? It only works on Gladiators, but how do you classify a mounted pair?

Last edited by Reece on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Maneuver Tactic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:03 am 
Viridis

Great question. I think my intuition would say that being a "gladiator" is derived from not having either the "beast" or "titan" tags. And the mounted pair, I would say, have the tags that the mount has, so "beast" at a minimum.

So my guess would be that you cannot maneuver a mounted pair. Only a dismounted gladiator.

But it's just one reasoning. You could just as well go the other way and say that you look at the rider only when determining what tags the mounted pair has.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:24 am 
Noxius

If that's the case, then NONE of the Tactics that specify a Gladiator should work on the mounted Gladiator right?

Flourish, Circus Maximus, Rouse, Echelon (how does Overrun work?), Maniple, Brave, Ambush, Blood Brothers...

Morituri is safe though. ;)

The whole thought came from a game I played yesterday. Thoth was the closest model to Sereqet and Zahra (by a hair). I decided to use Maneuver on Thoth (didn't even consider Zahra) but he died to an attack of opportunity because of this (reaction to a move ACTION).

I wondered later if I could have just spent the favor on Zahra/Sereqet. I kinda think I could have, but it seems cheesy as hell. MAYBE mounted beasts shouldn't get a Wild attack.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:49 am 
Noxius

I'm kind of in the same train of thought that the Maneuver tactic shouldnt work on a mounter pair. It doesnt have to do with giving the gladiator the "beast" tag but my reasoning comes from this line:

Movement : When mounted, use the mount’s MOV to resolve all Move Actions and reactions.

When mounted we are moving the beast, not the gladiator. So when looking to perform the maneuver tactic we check to see if that unit is a valid choice.

As for some of those others not working I dont agree...with all of them at least.

Flourish just says that if a gladiator makes his tree+1 they get a favor. The mount and rider attack separately. Mount gets tree+1 no flourish (because it's beast), rider now attacks and get tree+1, gets the flourish.

Circus maximum just allows the use of an extra favor dice for a models activation. In the book it states the mount and rider have separate limits on the favor spent. So Nero gets his normal 2 Max limit and septimus would get his 3 from Circum Maximus.

I think the rules that are move based and gladiator only will probably not work.

EDIT-
reading/thinking more...
This opens a can of worms with other skills...
I think an official word/errata would need to be made.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:08 am 
Noxius

As an example, let's look at Overrun on Dextarius. The ONLY way this works is if the mounted pair counts as a Gladiator. Friendly models are displaced further.

There's no way Maneuver can't work.

However, I believe it should be changed in an errata to stop it from working.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:42 am 
Noxius

Reece wrote:
As an example, let's look at Overrun on Dextarius. The ONLY way this works is if the mounted pair counts as a Gladiator. Friendly models are displaced further.

There's no way Maneuver can't work.

However, I believe it should be changed in an errata to stop it from working.

If mounted pairs count as a gladiator I think is the root problem really. If its a yes it breaks some rules, if its a no it breaks some rules. Ugh...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 am 
Noxius

Chabbernackle wrote:
If mounted pairs count as a gladiator I think is the root problem really. If its a yes it breaks some rules, if its a no it breaks some rules. Ugh...

What rule gets broken if you count them?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:14 am 
Noxius

Reece wrote:
Chabbernackle wrote:

What rule gets broken if you count them?

Anything that says gladiator only...

Now Nero could use all of LM benefits which clearly has been ruled as not working. This is the best example I can use right now without digging through everything.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:26 am 
Noxius

Chabbernackle wrote:

Now Nero could use all of LM benefits which clearly has been ruled as not working. This is the best example I can use right now without digging through everything.

So, Nero can't. You're not using it on Nero. You're using it on Sep. They just share the same base.

Sorta how they both benefit from Reposition results.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:38 am 
Noxius

Reece wrote:
Chabbernackle wrote:

So, Nero can't. You're not using it on Nero. You're using it on Sep. They just share the same base.

Sorta how they both benefit from Reposition results.

And thats I view it now. Septimus is using the benefits not Nero. But with dex and echelon it IS dex using the benefit to be able to use overrun...ywain has zero to do with it. I think thats why its confusing. Same with maneuver, who is using it? The gladiator or the mount? You dont use the gladiators mob attribute but rather the mounts....because the mount is moving. I guess what is messing with me is when does the line get drawn?