Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:58 am 
Noxius

Wishing wrote:
Chabbernackle wrote:
Net successes are the difference in dice between what you and your opponent have rolled.
Upon pushing an enemy into a friendly model you immediately gain an additional success. It is not an increase in net successes. I see where using Ambush on an enemy wouldn't work because it adds to your net successes from the beginning of the attack. I do not agree that Ambush would not be able to benefit from pushing into a friendly model.

It sounds like you feel like there is a timing issue here. That you don't get the exhausted bonus because that bonus success would be established already before the dice for the attack are rolled. But the push bonus is only added to the attack after the dice have been rolled and the resolution of the attack is underway, and therefore you feel like this is a new and separate bonus success that is no longer under the "net" restriction?

I can sort of see the logic in that. And I think it would be more fun to play that way too.

But then I don't see why RRG included the "net" restriction in the first place, rather than just let us get the bonus success from ambushing an exhausted target too.

Sorry, I am not able to convey my thoughts into words the best I can. I dont think it is so much as a timing issue but rather the use of the words "net success" is a bit ambiguous in the rule book. I do think this is a valid rules question simply because of that. Throughout the rule book net success is used in a couple different ways. Its used on the front end dice results (roll dice against the defenders and this is your net successes) and then on the back end as well (combine your net successes to calculate damage on your damage tree).

Also, if definition of the word "net" is going to be used as a talking point it technically means "the remains of all charges, outlays, or loss". Nothing is being deducted (enemy dice roll) the push into a friendly is an addition.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:09 am 
Viridis

Hmm. Interesting, and I agree that it is definitely a valid question.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 am 
Noxius

I agree with Chab, but my logic IS based on the timing.

Assuming the "net" applies to the attack vs exhausted as what would be your total after all dice are finished*.

You only get the extra result from a successful push. So if it's a titan or larger base, you wouldn't get the extra result from a successful push.

*For example you get 3 attack dice hits and your opponent gets 3 defense dice hits, you still "net" 1 vs an exhausted model.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:18 pm 
Crudus

I can see the logic behind getting the extra success from pushing the enemy into a friendly unit. It's a subsequent effect after net success is accounted for. I agree that it also makes for meaningful strategic and decisions. Unless we get official clarifications that say otherwise, I think that's they way I'll go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:28 pm 
Crudus

Reece wrote:
*For example you get 3 attack dice hits and your opponent gets 3 defense dice hits, you still "net" 1 vs an exhausted model.

Actually, I don't think that's correct. The rulebook explains what a successful attack is (PDF pg 7):
"The defender’s successes are subtracted from the attacker’s; if the attacker has any remaining successes (net successes) it is considered a successful attack. "

... and then it explains when you get the bonus from attacking an Exhausted model (PDF pg 9):
"Exhausted models are easier to push, and successful attacks against them generate a free push result ( ) for the attacker, resolved before or after any box on the attacker's damage tree. This is in addition to the free additional success."

So in order to get the Exhausted bonus you have to have a successful attack, which means at least one net success before he onus is applied...

Base on this, however, I pretty much have to reverse my stand. If the Exhausted bonus is applied after a successful attack is determined... then it should apply after the Ambush ability is triggered.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:57 pm 
Noxius

RidiQles wrote:
Reece wrote:

Actually, I don't think that's correct. The rulebook explains what a successful attack is (PDF pg 7):
"The defender’s successes are subtracted from the attacker’s; if the attacker has any remaining successes (net successes) it is considered a successful attack. "

... and then it explains when you get the bonus from attacking an Exhausted model (PDF pg 9):
"Exhausted models are easier to push, and successful attacks against them generate a free push result ( ) for the attacker, resolved before or after any box on the attacker's damage tree. This is in addition to the free additional success."

So in order to get the Exhausted bonus you have to have a successful attack, which means at least one net success before he onus is applied...

Base on this, however, I pretty much have to reverse my stand. If the Exhausted bonus is applied after a successful attack is determined... then it should apply after the Ambush ability is triggered.

Ahh, nice catch. Thanks.

So... it's either all or none.

Either, you get a net success then stack on bonuses (exhausted, pushing in to a friendly) OR it's a flat single net success with nothing added on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:51 pm 
Noxius

Having all the rules all laid out like that I think I'm also reverting back to question whether or not the exhaust bonus would apply. RAW, all applicable bonuses should be applied. Unless an official ruling is made I can see where it's all speculation though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:55 pm 
Viridis

Chabbernackle wrote:
RAW, all applicable bonuses should be applied.

But... if all applicable bonuses are applied, then what on earth could any possible difference be between "one success" and "one net success"?

Did they just think the extra word sounded nice, despite not doing anything?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:24 pm 
Crudus

Yeah, that's what's been throwing me for a loop... maybe they put the word there to confirm that that attack would be considered successful?

Maybe it's future proofing for characters that will be able to spend a favor to generate an automatic success anytime an attack is resolved against them?

I don't know. Hopefully we get some official word on this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:35 pm 
Noxius

Ok so this is my thought process about the whole thing.

You activate your clear turn.
Pay a favor to use Ambush on Bjarrhvit.
You immediately resolve an attack with one net success.

A net success is describe as how many successes you have remaining after subtracting any of the successful defensive dice rolled. No dice are rolled by either party and the end result is 1 net success, resulting in a successful attack.

Is the opponent exhausted?
No-
Perform your 1 success on the damage tree
Yes-
Because it is a successful attack gain an additional success and also a [push]

With your success you elect to push the enemy model.

Will your push cause the enemy model to come in contact with a friendly model?
No-
Resolve the push, follow up, and damage.
Yes-
The first time during an attack you push an enemy model into base contact with a friendly model generate an immediate additional success on the attack.

The wording for the attack states that the difference in successful results between the attackers dice and the defenders dice generates the net successes (if any).

Successful attacks against exhausted opponents add an additional success, it does not add to your net success. Same is said for pushing an enemy into a friendly model, you add a success.