Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:31 am 
Noxius

When performing the Ambush tactic during a clear turn against an exhausted enemy do you also gain the extra net result and push due to it being an "attack"?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:18 am 
Noxius

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38269&p=45059#p45059

RidiQles wrote:
Per the rule book under ZEPHYRI BENEFITS (PDF pg 16)
"Ambush - Tactic - Cost : 1 Favor - Choose a Zephyri gladiator model in your cohort, and immediately resolve an attack with 1 net success against a model engaged by it. This tactic may only affect each gladiator once per clear turn."

I think the use of the term "1 net success" means it's not modified, as in there is only one success after anything else that would impact it is applied, otherwise I don't think there would be any need for the term since there is really nothing else that could affect an out turn activation like that. So I don't think you would get the additional push and success against Exhausted models.

Again... it's all just my speculation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:49 am 
Noxius

I think saying that it is 1 net success after anything else is applied is a bit over reaching. The rule simply says an attack with one net success. It doesnt take into account anything else. Bjarrhvit has a push as her first result, if she were to push an enemy into a friend would she also not get the +1 net result from this as well?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:01 am 
Viridis

I agree that the whole point of including the word "net" in the rule is to say that the final end result of the attack, no matter what else happens, will just be one success.

What else is the point of the word "net" in there?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:33 am 
Noxius

Wishing wrote:
I agree that the whole point of including the word "net" in the rule is to say that the final end result of the attack, no matter what else happens, will just be one success.

What else is the point of the word "net" in there?

Ok, I understand a bit better now from your reasoning and combing over the wording in the book a bit more. I didnt feel like it was right but just wanted to be absolutely sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:47 pm 
Crudus

My question is, does armor factor in? I think I read somewhere that it does, and it makes sense to have armor work, since it says "resolve an attack", which means the damage comes from a damage tree. That just means "ambush" isn't really great for damaging, and mostly useful for doing a push or reposition to move people around. That's my two-cents anyway.
As for the extra success from base contact pushing is concerned...I would say it works, since everything is an attack+damage tree type of thing. But I main Zephyri, so I may be biased ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:24 pm 
Noxius

GonzoGarbanzo wrote:
My question is, does armor factor in? I think I read somewhere that it does, and it makes sense to have armor work, since it says "resolve an attack", which means the damage comes from a damage tree. That just means "ambush" isn't really great for damaging, and mostly useful for doing a push or reposition to move people around. That's my two-cents anyway.
As for the extra success from base contact pushing is concerned...I would say it works, since everything is an attack+damage tree type of thing. But I main Zephyri, so I may be biased ;)

I agree with an extra success from pushing in to a friendly if your first box is a push.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:33 am 
Viridis

RRG wrote in another thread that Ywains ability that makes an opponent suffer a [push] result is reduced by armour, because all damage that comes from a damage tree result of some kind is reduced by armour. The only damage that is not reduced by armour is the damage that is just described as a text, like "suffers 3 damage". (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34004)

So I agree that you should only rarely be able to do damage with Ambush, such as when you are ambushing an armour 0 model.

As for extra successes, it would obviously work if it just said "resolve one success". But it doesn't, it says "resolve one net success". "Net", as the dictionary tells me, means something like "final, after all subtractions and deductions".

So I still feel like the only possible reason for RRG to put the word "net" into the rule is to say that the final number of successes you will achieve is always one. Allllways.

If you push the enemy into another model, normally that would modify your number of successes by plus one. But the word "net" means "the final number will always be one, no matter how much you try to modify it before you reach that final".

So I really don't see how you can reconcile the meaning of "net" with the idea that you can count the plus one success from pushing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:11 am 
Noxius

Wishing wrote:
RRG wrote in another thread that Ywains ability that makes an opponent suffer a [push] result is reduced by armour, because all damage that comes from a damage tree result of some kind is reduced by armour. The only damage that is not reduced by armour is the damage that is just described as a text, like "suffers 3 damage". (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34004)

So I agree that you should only rarely be able to do damage with Ambush, such as when you are ambushing an armour 0 model.

As for extra successes, it would obviously work if it just said "resolve one success". But it doesn't, it says "resolve one net success". "Net", as the dictionary tells me, means something like "final, after all subtractions and deductions".

So I still feel like the only possible reason for RRG to put the word "net" into the rule is to say that the final number of successes you will achieve is always one. Allllways.

If you push the enemy into another model, normally that would modify your number of successes by plus one. But the word "net" means "the final number will always be one, no matter how much you try to modify it before you reach that final".

So I really don't see how you can reconcile the meaning of "net" with the idea that you can count the plus one success from pushing.

Net successes are the difference in dice between what you and your opponent have rolled.
Upon pushing an enemy into a friendly model you immediately gain an additional success. It is not an increase in net successes. I see where using Ambush on an enemy wouldn't work because it adds to your net successes from the beginning of the attack. I do not agree that Ambush would not be able to benefit from pushing into a friendly model.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:42 am 
Viridis

Chabbernackle wrote:
Net successes are the difference in dice between what you and your opponent have rolled.
Upon pushing an enemy into a friendly model you immediately gain an additional success. It is not an increase in net successes. I see where using Ambush on an enemy wouldn't work because it adds to your net successes from the beginning of the attack. I do not agree that Ambush would not be able to benefit from pushing into a friendly model.

It sounds like you feel like there is a timing issue here. That you don't get the exhausted bonus because that bonus success would be established already before the dice for the attack are rolled. But the push bonus is only added to the attack after the dice have been rolled and the resolution of the attack is underway, and therefore you feel like this is a new and separate bonus success that is no longer under the "net" restriction?

I can sort of see the logic in that. And I think it would be more fun to play that way too.

But then I don't see why RRG included the "net" restriction in the first place, rather than just let us get the bonus success from ambushing an exhausted target too.