Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:33 pm 
Crudus

So I am in need of some clarification for resolving movement effects when not part of a character's activation.

To start with, the Zephyri's Ambush tactic. Paying for it is pretty straight forward, 1 favor for 1 net success with a model of your choice. Let's say I do it with Hagal, and I choose the reposition. If I end my movement the proper distance away from an enemy, would I still clear a fatigue? Similarly with counterattack, let's say I reposition; would I still clear the fatigue, or not, since I'm not technically "ending my activation", since it's not my turn and I'm reacting instead of activating?

On a somewhat different note, how does damage apply to pushes and repositions outside of the damage tree? For example, Ywain has his effect where if you fail to deal damage to him, he resolves a push against the failed attacker. Does that push add 1 damage, or is it just a 1 inch movement of an enemy model, since it didn't originate from Ywain's damage tree?

Similar question with Hroka's war cry: does the reposition add 1 damage and clear fatigue to the effects, or do the models just move 3 inches?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:45 am 
Viridis

Good questions. The only part I can answer is about the Ywain push, because it has been asked before. The answer is that it counts as a damage tree result and therefore includes damage. But it is also reduced by armour. So it will almost always end up being zero damage.

As for repositioning, very good question. My guess is that you would only get to remove fatigue if you actually made the attack that caused the effect during your activation. Out of activation fatigue removal doesn't sound intended to me. But that's just my first reaction to how I would handle it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:27 pm 
Crudus

I honestly agree about the repositioning; it would seem a little busted if you could just clear fatigue all the time. The answer to the Ywain question points out something interesting, and I wonder if we can use it for all of these ability type questions. Ywain's thing comes from the damage tree, and his wording uses the [push] symbol. Hroka's war cry uses the word reposition, not the [reposition] symbol. Perhaps it's symbols that denote damage, and words would not. If Ywain's wording said "he pushes them 1 inch away" instead of "resovles a push", then maybe he'd do no damage.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:30 pm 
Viridis

The thread where I asked about the Ywain thing is this one: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34004

With Hroka, my guess is that the ability is meant to be identical with "models may [reposition]". However, I don't think it's meant to include the ability to damage. Mainly because it doesn't talk about targeting an enemy model with it.

This leads me to feel that when War Cry has a [reposition] reference, it refers to it as not an attack. This is in the same sense that [favor] is a single icon, but is found in two different places: In the damage tree, and on the vitality track. The thread linked above explains that when it is on the damage tree, it includes damage, and when it is on the vitality track, it doesn't.

That's what I'm thinking about the reposition part of War Cry. It is considered to be like a [reposition] icon on the vitality track. I.e. it has the 3" move effect, but does no damage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:32 am 
Viridis

Alright, reading the rules a bit more closely, I think we actually have some help here. It says on page 8:

Caveat : Reacting models are not activating, therefore do not remove fatigue after Repositioning.

There we go. A model that is not activating does not get to remove fatigue.

Also, I think I am starting to agree with your assessment that "Reposition" and [reposition] is not the same thing. Page 8 describes that [reposition] = Reposition + 1 damage. And then explains that Reposition means "may move 3 inches".

So it seems clear enough really. The word "Reposition" is just shorthand for "may move 3 inches, and if the model is currently activating and ends up not engaged, it may end its activation and recover one fatigue". It only includes damage if it actually shows the icon.

I then have a follow-up question to that. Leo has an ability called Pounce: "When this model declares an attack during its activation, it may Reposition before resolving the attack".

Can he use the "end activation and remove fatigue" effect during a Pounce, to get extra speed?

I.e. move forward 6" for free, declare an attack against an enemy (spend 1 fatigue), use Pounce, move 3" past the enemy, be disengaged, lose the ability to resolve the originally declared attack, then end activation (and recover 1 fatigue)?

As I'm reading it now, I don't see why he couldn't. But the ability says "before resolving the attack", which could be read to imply that he has to stick around and actually resolve the attack he originally declared, which would mean he can only move around his target, not disengage from it... (but it could also just be a timing explanation, not a requirement.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:58 pm 
Crudus

Thank you for finding the caveat; I should probably get the actual rulebook instead of using the unfolding pamphlet.

I think the reposition question has put to rest, but in response to your Leo inquiry: I would think that he can do what you said, so long as he's activating. Not only does the errata and wording seem to suggest that he can, it also adds more versatility for what you can do with Leo, making him more present on the battlefield, and in essence, more fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:15 pm 
Noxius

What about Ambush vs an Exhausted model? Would you get one success then add an additional and a single [push]?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:16 pm 
Crudus

Per the rule book under ZEPHYRI BENEFITS (PDF pg 16)
"Ambush - Tactic - Cost : 1 Favor - Choose a Zephyri gladiator model in your cohort, and immediately resolve an attack with 1 net success against a model engaged by it. This tactic may only affect each gladiator once per clear turn."

I think the use of the term "1 net success" means it's not modified, as in there is only one success after anything else that would impact it is applied, otherwise I don't think there would be any need for the term since there is really nothing else that could affect an out turn activation like that. So I don't think you would get the additional push and success against Exhausted models.

Again... it's all just my speculation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:47 am 
Noxius

RidiQles wrote:
Per the rule book under ZEPHYRI BENEFITS (PDF pg 16)
"Ambush - Tactic - Cost : 1 Favor - Choose a Zephyri gladiator model in your cohort, and immediately resolve an attack with 1 net success against a model engaged by it. This tactic may only affect each gladiator once per clear turn."

I think the use of the term "1 net success" means it's not modified, as in there is only one success after anything else that would impact it is applied, otherwise I don't think there would be any need for the term since there is really nothing else that could affect an out turn activation like that. So I don't think you would get the additional push and success against Exhausted models.

Again... it's all just my speculation

I think saying that it is 1 net success after anything else is applied is a bit over reaching. The rule simply says an attack with one net success. It doesnt take into account anything else. Bjarrhvit has a push as her first result, if she were to push an enemy into a friend would she also not get the +1 net result from this as well?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:53 am 
Viridis

Just want to resurrect this, because I think we covered Ambush pretty well in the other thread, but we didn't talk that much about the other type of ability - the one where models like Sulla and Ywain can resolve straight up [push] results against opponents outside of their activations.

We agreed here that the result includes one damage. But it's also clear that the push will have no other effects, right? Pushing an exhausted model does not add an additional push, and pushing a model into a friendly model does nothing. This is because both of these bonuses specify "during an attack", and unlike Ambush, Exploit and Rebuff do not say that they are resolving attacks, they are just resolving damage results directly.