Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:39 pm 
Noxius

We have had a great time recently, playing (and painting) our first few games. We had a few questions, but none that interfered with the games.

Zahra – When using Lash to pull, can she step away from the target as her follow up? (We played no, RAW says move towards the target, but it seemed natural to allow this.)

Reach – When using models with Reach and deciding if they are engaged, are you forced to use the Reach? For example, Zahra Reach 3, ends a Reposition 2” from the target. Is she engaged or not? (We played “Yes she was”.) If the opponent then activates, still 2” from Zahra, is the opponent engaged? (We played no.)

Reposition (a) – if you are forced to end your activation after a reposition, as opposed to choosing to end your activation, can you still get the “remove a fatigue” benefit, assuming all other conditions are satisfied? (We played yes.)

Reposition (b) – if you are exhausted, can you still get the “remove a fatigue” benefit? (We played yes.)

Living Hazard (a) - Is it only a model being literally Pushed that triggers a Living Hazard? RAW seems to be a clear yes, but we thought it a little odd that you can move, shift, follow up move, dismount, etc, in the vicinity and the beast ignores you.

Living Hazard (b) – When does the Living Hazard attack? We interpreted the “ultimate result of the attack” to mean at the end of the attack (not at the moment the push movement happens), meaning the Living Hazard interrupts the turn of models taking two actions.

Living Hazard (c) – If the defender is already in base-to-base contact with the Living Hazard and the get Pushed, does the beast attack? (We played yes).

Living Hazard (d) – The Defender is pushed into base-to-base contact with the Living Hazard. The Living Hazard attacks the Defender and pushes it back into base-to-base contact with the original Attacker. Do either of these trigger the “pushed into base contact with a friendly unit” effect? (We played no; the original Attacker controls the beast/rolls for the beast, but the beast is not a friendly unit.)

Living Hazard (e) – The Defender is with 3” of the Living Hazard. The attack generates one and only one Push. The Defender is large and resists the Push. Does the Living Hazard get triggered? (We played yes; the push is resisted, not ignored or abandoned. Some part the push is happening, since the damage still applies.)

Looking forwards to the next game!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:11 am 
Crudus

Will try to answer some of the questions I think I know an answer to without looking in the rulebook since I don't have one handy right now.

AGN1964 wrote:
Reach – When using models with Reach and deciding if they are engaged, are you forced to use the Reach? For example, Zahra Reach 3, ends a Reposition 2” from the target. Is she engaged or not? (We played “Yes she was”.) If the opponent then activates, still 2” from Zahra, is the opponent engaged? (We played no.)

To be engaged is passive. You are engaged if an enemy model is within ITS engagement range. For example: Zahra is 2 inches away from an enemy model with 1" melee range. Then Zahra engages the enemy model (this one is engaged), but Zahra is not engaged by the enemy model, since she is not within its melee range.

AGN1964 wrote:
Reposition (a) – if you are forced to end your activation after a reposition, as opposed to choosing to end your activation, can you still get the “remove a fatigue” benefit, assuming all other conditions are satisfied? (We played yes.)

Don't see where this could happen, but in that case I would treat it as choosing to end the activation as you did.

That's all I can do for now. I hope to come back with some more answers if necessary when I have my rulebook at hand.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:13 pm 
Noxius

Thanks!

Engaged question - Now you have said that, it's completely obvious. I don't know how we got it wrong.

Quote:
Reposition (a) – if you are forced to end your activation after a Reposition.

Quote:
Don't see where this could happen

Take an action and become fatigued. Then attack and become exhausted. Roll exactly the number of net successes that your last damage tree result is Reposition (eg 3 net successes for Zahra). Now there is no choice about whether you stay active - this attack is over and no more fatigue to fund more actions. We did this twice in one game.

To me, this situation did seem a little different, as Zahra did not have to sacrifice anything to trigger the fatigue benefit from Reposition. If she had 5 successes, then it a tricky choice, do you abandon the 2 Pushes to remove a fatigue?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:50 pm 
Crudus

Welcome to Arena REX!!
Let me gives these a shot as well.

AGN1964 wrote:
Zahra – When using Lash to pull, can she step away from the target as her follow up?

No, the rules define a follow-up move as being toward the defender. Under [push] in DAMAGE TREE RESULTS (PDF pg. 8): "...The attacker may make a follow-up move of up to 1", which must be toward the defender." Zahra's card does not mention any changes to the follow-up rules.

AGN1964 wrote:
Reach – When using models with Reach and deciding if they are engaged, are you forced to use the Reach? For example, Zahra Reach 3, ends a Reposition 2” from the target. Is she engaged or not? If the opponent then activates, still 2” from Zahra, is the opponent engaged?

While Zahra is activated her engagement range is 3", if she repositions to 2" away she is still engaged and does not get to remove fatigue. When her activation ends and the opponent activates, her engagement range is back to 1" so they are both outside of each other's engagement range. So if the opponent were to make a move, Zahra would not be able to react with an opportunity attack.

AGN1964 wrote:
Reposition (a) – if you are forced to end your activation after a reposition, as opposed to choosing to end your activation, can you still get the “remove a fatigue” benefit, assuming all other conditions are satisfied?

Yes, the only trigger to remove fatigue is that you end a reposition outside of engagement range. Under [reposition] in DAMAGE TREE RESULTS (PDF pg. 8): "... If a model is not engaged at the end of its reposition movement, it may immediately end its activation to remove a fatigue." So you can do this even if you woul dhave had to end your activation after that anyway. Ending your attack on a [reposition] is pretty optimal.

AGN1964 wrote:
Reposition (b) – if you are exhausted, can you still get the “remove a fatigue” benefit?

Yes, in the rulebook under Exhausted (PDF pg. 4): "... You may only remove fatigue from an Exhausted model during a clear turn or as the result of a special ability." This would be one of those special abilities.
Confirmed by RRG_walker in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33939&hilit=reposition

AGN1964 wrote:
Living Hazard (a) - Is it only a model being literally Pushed that triggers a Living Hazard? RAW seems to be a clear yes, but we thought it a little odd that you can move, shift, follow up move, dismount, etc, in the vicinity and the beast ignores you.

Yes, thematically it seems a little odd, but it makes the Living Hazard a more tactical factor in the battle rather than a purely situational one.

AGN1964 wrote:
Living Hazard (b) – When does the Living Hazard attack? We interpreted the “ultimate result of the attack” to mean at the end of the attack (not at the moment the push movement happens), meaning the Living Hazard interrupts the turn of models taking two actions.

Yes, the Living Hazard activates at the end of an attack... so you could potentially get pushed into the 3" Living Hazard range and then get pushed out of it during the same attack and the Hazard would not trigger as you did not end up in range as the ultimate result of the attack.

AGN1964 wrote:
Living Hazard (c) – If the defender is already in base-to-base contact with the Living Hazard and the get Pushed, does the beast attack?.

Yes, the Push still happens (it's just a 0" push) so you technically end up within the range of Living Hazard as the ultimate result...

AGN1964 wrote:
Living Hazard (d) – The Defender is pushed into base-to-base contact with the Living Hazard. The Living Hazard attacks the Defender and pushes it back into base-to-base contact with the original Attacker. Do either of these trigger the “pushed into base contact with a friendly unit” effect? (We played no; the original Attacker controls the beast/rolls for the beast, but the beast is not a friendly unit.)

Friendly is not actually defined in the rulebook, but the assumption I go with is that friendly means "a member of the same cohort", so then a Living Hazard would not have any friendly units, regardless of who controls it.

AGN1964 wrote:
Living Hazard (e) – The Defender is with 3” of the Living Hazard. The attack generates one and only one Push. The Defender is large and resists the Push. Does the Living Hazard get triggered? (We played yes; the push is resisted, not ignored or abandoned. Some part the push is happening, since the damage still applies.)

Hmmm. I play this one as the opposite, the push is resisted, so it does not occur. The damage is still applied, but in the rulebook the symbol [push] is defined as having two different parts. Under [push] in DAMAGE TREE RESULTS (PDF pg. 8): " [push] Push + 1 damage". To me that implies that the actual Push and the 1 damage are two parts of the [push] tree result. With the former being the one that triggers the Living Hazard, so if that is resisted, then no trigger occurs. But that's just my interpretation, I have found no official confirmation.

Hope these help a little... got me thinking about those Resister Pushes too!!