Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:21 pm 
Noxius

So I've only recently started playing but I've came up on a few questions.

Firstly intervene would seem to make more sense if you could declare an assist from farther away with that model. Is the intent that you can do so long as you end the first 3" move within an inch of either attacker or defender, or is it just to provide extra move to reposition?

Also Leo has the ability pounce which yet again seems to make me feel he could declare an attack from further away.

Also was wondering whether living hazards went wild during a clear turn? Seems logical to me but because it's referenced as beasts in a cohort so I wasn't sure.

Also with pushes, if your final success results in a push can you opt to not move your model forward after the opponents model is moved the mandatory inch directly away? The sentence makes me feel you still have to end within an inch of the target.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:38 pm 
Noxius

1). You can declare an assist with anyone who can react who isn't the target of the attack. The kicker is the bonus defense is only applies if you are within range. So those models declare the reaction, move, and then are fulfilling the benefit's requirement

1.5?) Leo can declare an attack action while Unengaged, trigger pounce, then the action begins to resolve. This falls in line with other rulings under similar situations.

2). Living hazards do not go wild as wild requires them to be a part of your cohort first

3). Following up is always an option, not mandatory (as opposed to the push which is mandatory). It's a "may" clause.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:53 pm 
Noxius

OK, very cool thanks for the clarifications.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:47 pm 
Noxius

psychogeek wrote:
1.5?) Leo can declare an attack action while Unengaged, trigger pounce, then the action begins to resolve. This falls in line with other rulings under similar situations.

Is this in a faq? I can't find how this works. You must declare an attack against an enemy in an engagement range. You can reposition after declaring an attack.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:35 pm 
Noxius

Attacking requires a target in engagement.

Attack Cost: Gain 1 fatigue. Effect: Target an enemy model within the engagement range of the attacking model. Resolve the attack as described in the Combat section.

Leo doesn't have an extended range. This just shows him to reposition prior to attacking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:54 pm 
Noxius

DillionDai wrote:

Attack Cost: Gain 1 fatigue. Effect: Target an enemy model within the engagement range of the attacking model. Resolve the attack as described in the Combat section.

Leo doesn't have an extended range. This just shows him to reposition prior to attacking.

That's how I understand it as well.

But there's a FAQ (unofficial?) saying he can declare an attack against a model outside of his engagement.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:46 pm 
Crudus

I haven't seen this explicitly addressed... the only similar case is the above-mentioned Intervene ability where you can declare the Assist Reaction with Iason and Frigge while they are out of engagement range of the target and then they can use Intervene to move within range prior to the effect of the Assist Reaction taking place.
The implication there is that any model could declare an Assist Reaction even if they are outside of engagement range, but without the Intervene ability to allow them to move into engagement range the reaction would have no effect.
I guess, technically (if you want to push that interpretation a bit) you could argue that the requirements to declare an action are: a) it must be your turn, b) the model must be activated, c) you must pay the cost, and d) you must meet the required trigger, if any.
After that you would go ahead and apply the effect of the action as described in the rulebook.
For the Attack Action (PDF, pg 6) the Cost is 1 fatigue and there is no trigger requirement... so technically you could declare Attack against any model. However, when it's time to apply the effect, there would be none if there is no model within range to target and your action would be wasted. If that's the case, then you could use Leo's Pounce ability to reposition yourself within range.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:26 pm 
Noxius

Reece wrote:
DillionDai wrote:

That's how I understand it as well.

But there's a FAQ (unofficial?) saying he can declare an attack against a model outside of his engagement.

The FAQ you're mentioning is maintained by a guy here in Richmond, VA though that particular nugget doesn't appear to have any backing on either the card NOR the rules and I'm not seeing anything on the forums about it either.

Pounce states "When this model makes an attack during it's activation it may reposition before resolving that attack." Attacks must be declared within engagement range. While thematically a lion should be able to pounce at a distance but if that were the case it would be stated differently.

Perhaps this was the intention and RRG will adjust the wording or weigh in here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:54 am 
Viridis

I feel like we had the Pounce discussion in another thread recently, but I cannot find it... hmm.

But anyway. Right now, I am thinking that Leo is supposed to be allowed to Pounce before having a target in melee range. I think I argued the opposite in the other thread, but that is the intent I see just now.

Just for the record, the Pounce rule actually says ""When this model *declares* an attack during it's activation, it may Reposition before resolving the attack."".

So the question is whether you are allowed to declare an attack without being engaged with a possible target. The rules don't specify, because at the current time, AR doesn't have an attack timing chart that lists the chronological steps involved with attacking (which most games eventually end up having to have for this specific reason). The attack action description just says "Target an enemy model within the engagement range of the attacking model" - it doesn't mention anything about whether this targeting is a prerequisite for being able to declare the attack in the first place or not, so we don't know.

My expectation is that the timing for actions and reactions in general is meant to be like this.

1. Declare action/reaction. This step generally has no restrictions unless explicitly specified, such as the triggers that are needed to declare a reaction.
2. Pay cost of action/reaction.
3. Trigger and fully resolve any triggered effects based on declaration of action/reaction, such as Pounce or Intervene.
4. Choose a target for the original action/reaction if relevant.
5. Resolve the action/reaction.

This is how I think the rules are meant to work. Which would allow Leo to make the Reposition move at step 3, before he has to choose a target to attack in step 4.

Last edited by Wishing on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:37 am 
Viridis

Reading forums is so dangerous. Now I really want to get a Leo...