Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Basic rules questions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:11 pm 
Noxius

1. Do beasts like sereqet, when taken in the cohort they are mounts for count as part of your ludus for achieving ludus benefits?

2. Does an Opportunity Attack count as making an attack action? For interactions with things like hermes Aegis of Fame.

3. Is it possible to make a Counter Attack a Power attack by paying an additional fatigue?

4. Blood Brothers says may only affect each model once per turn. Whom is considered to be affected when it is used? The model being damaged, the model being healed, or both?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:40 pm 
Viridis

I know the answer to the first one because I asked this myself.

The key is that only gladiators are counted for ludus benefits. Beasts are not gladiators. So if your cohort contains four Morituri gladiators and two beasts, it is considered to have 100% Morituri gladiators. Beasts count as not exisiting for the purpose of ludus benefits.

I'll leave the other questions to more knowledgeable people.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:49 pm 
Noxius

Wishing answered the first one.

I'll try to answer the second and third one. As far as I remember, reactions are not attack actions, so an opportunity attack or a counter-attack shouldn't count as attacks. This serves well too for the third question: only attack actions can be upgraded to power attacks, so, no, you can't upgrade a reaction.
Though, I can't recall where or when this was discussed, and there's no hint on the rulebook neither.

About the last one. Not sure. I'd say both of them, but it's just my opinion there.

Last edited by iolaran on Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:29 pm 
Crudus

1. Answered already. Only gladiators count to ludus benefit.

2. Not sure on this one actually. Well I agree that opportunity attacks are not attack actions as actions only happen during your activation (unless an ability specifies otherwise), BUT... Hermes's Aegis of Fame doesn't require it to be an action, it simply says "...an enemy gladiator mode must spend 1 Favor to attack this model." So I think it might actually trigger that particular effect.
Note how further down the page in the rules (PDF pg 6) Counterattack specifically states that it is not considered declaring an attack, but opportunity attack has no such disclaimer...

3. As mentioned before, a Power attack is an action that can only be declared during your activation (unless otherwise specified by abilities, like intercept).

4. It counts for both. It was mentioned here.
viewtopic.php?t=33896
The third response is from Walker and towards then he mentions that it affects both the model taking damage and the one healing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:06 pm 
Noxius

Counter attack is not considered declaring an attack. So it would no trigger things such as Hermes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:48 pm 
Founder of the Republic

1. Answered above, only gladiators count.
2. Opportunity Attack does not trigger Aegis of Fame -- it skips right to the dice and resolving.
3. No, Upgrading to a power attack is an action, and Counterattack is a reaction. Active player gets actions and reactive player gets reactons, unless otherwise specified (e.g. Aemilia)
4. Both models are affected

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:45 pm 
Viridis

RRG_walker wrote:
2. Opportunity Attack does not trigger Aegis of Fame -- it skips right to the dice and resolving.

I think I need to ask an in-depth question about this answer.

Aegis of Fame says "An enemy gladiator model must spend 1 Favor to attack this model."

Note that it does not say "to declare an attack". It just says "to attack".

We know that declaring attacks has certain rules and restrictions about it. But simply "attacking", without a declaration, is something else. For example, Taunt and Fade prevents you from declaring attacks against certain models. But it doesn't prevent just attacking those models. Spite is an example of an attack that doesn't declare. So Spite would ignore Taunt and Fade.

So why exactly is it that neither Opportunity Attack nor Counterattack trigger Aegis of Fame?

Neither of them declare attacks. They both declare reactions, and the rules for neither of them mention anything about declaring attacks. But Aegis of Fame doesn't require you to declare an attack. It just requires you to attack.

I have a hard time imagining that making an opportunity attack doesn't count as attacking. If it didn't, then Ywain's Rebuff wouldn't work against it, Envenom wouldn't work with it, just as a few examples.

The reason I thought of this is because Stheno has her Inevitable ability that works when she makes attacks, and it seems like she has a special Desultory rule that prevents her from making counterattacks, because otherwise Inevitable would work with counterattacks, and that would be too strong. This suggests that counterattacking counts as attacking. Which makes intuitive sense to me. Attacking means rolling your attack dice.

So as I see it, as the rules are written, Aegis of Fame works against both opportunity attacks, counterattacks, and Spite attacks. But it's not meant to. But if you say that it doesn't, without changing any current rules, then logically, lots of other things stop working the way they should.

Trying to guess intent, it seems to me like Aegis of Fame is actually meant to say "An enemy gladiator model must spend 1 Favor to declare an attack against this model."

Then you can say that both counterattacking and opportunity attacking counts as attacking, but not as declaring attacks, and then everything seems to work in what seems to be the intended fashion as far as I can tell.