Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Failing a Counter attack
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:32 am 
Noxius

When a counter attack is made and you fail to exceed the attacker's successes, does you opponant get ALL of the successes or do the defenders results still cancel out the attacker's, essentially becoming a stronger defense?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:55 am 
Crudus

The defender's rolls still count, so it is really a very strong defense. At the expense of a fatigue and the inability to activate that model on your next turn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:13 am 
Viridis

Cool, I was wondering that too actually, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:36 am 
Noxius

Wishing wrote:

That's why I asked here :) the rules sections of game forums are great because you might have the same question as another person and everyone can benefit from the answer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:31 am 
Noxius

Due to a debate in my local group. Can we get an a link to aloe a comment of official ruling?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:38 am 
Crudus

Hmmm. I thought I saw something about. I'll have to search... but other than the stuff specifically altered by the Counterattack rules (PDF pg 6), the regular combat rules (PDF pg 7) still apply, which state that the defenders successes are subtracted from the atracker's successes. Counterattack simply has you replace your DEF with you ATK and then provides further resolution rules if the defender has more net successes.

Last edited by RidiQles on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:58 am 
Viridis

psychogeek wrote:
Wishing wrote:

That's why I asked here :) the rules sections of game forums are great because you might have the same question as another person and everyone can benefit from the answer

I also feel that bringing up questions about the rules is also useful for RRG, because they get to see which parts of the rulebook that trip us up in terms of understanding. Asking questions like this is us providing a QA service.

The rules simply say "Roll your ATK instead of DEF against the attack. If you roll more net successes than the attacker, resolve those net successes as if you had made a successful attack."

I suspect that RidiQles is right, and the reaction is meant to make an attack-defense combo that both functions as a normal defense, only with ATK dice instead of DEF dice, and with the potential to damage or push the attacker. It could also be read as you saying that instead of defending, you are going to attack, and hope your attack connects, because you are giving up your defense for it. But I think that it would be spelled out more clearly if that was meant to be the case.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:43 pm 
Founder of the Republic

RidiQles wrote:
The defender's rolls still count, so it is really a very strong defense. At the expense of a fatigue and the inability to activate that model on your next turn.

and with a kicker of possibly getting a little damage to swing the other way.

If model A rolls 4 successes on attack and model B rolls 3 successes on a counter-attack, model A resolves 1 net success against model B. if model A rolls 3 successes on attack and model B rolls 4 on counter-attack, model B resolves 1 net success against model A

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:20 am 
Viridis

Sounds good, thanks! It might be helpful to add the sentence "Subtract your successes from the attacker's successes in the same way as for a normal defense roll" or something similar in between the two sentences that are there now for clarity.