Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: Going Wild
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:43 am 
Crudus

Yes. Reactions are allowed on both those cases per the normal rules (must be opponent's turn, must be Ready models, etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:45 am 
Viridis

I don't see why not, yeah. As long as the attack takes place during the opponent's turn, and the requirement for the reaction is met.

So if the Wild attack is your own beast attacking you, then you cannot react to it because it is happening during your own turn.
If you defeat Anum with a normal activation, and his Frenzy ability makes one of his beasts attack you, then you also could not react to that, because it is happening during your own turn.

But if the Wild attack or Frenzy/Incite attack takes place during your opponent's turn, then you can react to it. This will normally be the case if Anum or the Incite tactic is activated during their turn, or if it is an enemy beast making the Wild attack.

Amusingly, if Anum attacks you, and you react with a counterattack, and the counterattack defeats Anum, and Anum makes one of his beasts Frenzy and attack one of your other models, then that model could react, since then Anums death would happen on Anums own turn. :) (Edit: This does not work because you can only do one reaction per turn, see below.)

Last edited by Wishing on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:54 am 
Crudus

You may only make one Reaction per turn, though (PDF pg 6 "REACTIONS"). So if you alread counterattacked to kill Anum and trigger Frenzy, you cannot react to the Frenzy attack.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 am 
Viridis

I did not realize. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:16 pm 
Crudus

Not positive about Anum's skull ability, but with wild attacks, you cannot react to them, as it's technically not the same thing as declaring an attack.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:22 pm 
Crudus

Hmmm. Excellent point on that.

I believe Anum's Frenzy is still something you can react to since it says (Anum's card):
" [skull] Frenzy - Target a friendly beast or Living Hazard. Take a single action with targeted model. If targeted model is a living hazard, treat it as part of your cohort for the duration of the action."
Based on that definition, I believe you would be declaring an attack if that is the action you decide to take, so a reaction would be allowed.

The Tactic Incite has a similar definition, so I think the same would apply there.

You are definitely on point on the wild attack... it's not an action declared by an opponent, so no reaction could be triggered.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:25 pm 
Viridis

GonzoGarbanzo wrote:
Not positive about Anum's skull ability, but with wild attacks, you cannot react to them, as it's technically not the same thing as declaring an attack.

Hmm. I think I see your point. The reactions all specify they can be used "After an enemy model declares/resolves a Move/Attack Action". I can see how it could be argued that a Wild attack does not count as an enemy model declaring an Attack Action, as the rules just say that the beast must attempt to attack the nearest model, it's not described as an "Attack Action".

(From this perspective, I would probably argue that a beast going Wild means that the beast takes a "Wild Action", i.e. a forced move+attack combination against the nearest model, and that this is neither a Move or Attack Action.)

But Anum's Frenzy specifically says that the beast takes an action, which must be a normal Move or Attack Action. So surely you can react against that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:25 pm 
Viridis

Ridiqles, this is the second time today you have posted the same thing to this same thread that I was in the middle of posting, just 2-3 minutes ahead of me. I gotta up my game. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:13 pm 
Crudus

Alright, that makes sense. If the skull is "take an action", then you're right, it's something you can react to. As for my wild attack reasoning, it falls in the line of "not all instances of swinging shit at your opponent are created equal" :lol:
Sort of like how you can counterattack Hermes without paying a favor, but with declaring an attack you must.
With this, I assume it's the same for the extra success after exhaustion: yes on declaring an attack against exhausted model, but nay for counterattacking a newly exhausted model...I assume...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:46 pm 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
Ridiqles, this is the second time today you have posted the same thing to this same thread that I was in the middle of posting, just 2-3 minutes ahead of me. I gotta up my game. :D

Ha. Not sure if that puts us in the "great minds think alike" or the "fools seldom differ" category...