Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Push Question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:37 pm 
Noxius

Came across the game (models) from pictures taken at GenCon. I have ordered minis (Septimus on Nero really sold me on it) and while waiting for them to come in, I have been reading the rules and have a question about the damage tree/pushes.

On several trees it is possible to get more than one push, under the rules for resolving the tree, all actions boxes are resolved before moving to the next, with the damage just being tallied up and done at the end.

My confusion comes from, what if I don't want to make a follow-up move (rules says the attack may, not that they have to) after a push? Does the attack stop, even though there are more successes?

An example I thought of to illustrate my confusion, I after the roll, going down the tree, I have 3 pushes, which would cause the enemy to fall into a pit, but would cause my gladiator to be too close to the pit and he would probably be pushed in on my opponents turn. If I didn't follow up, would I still be able to push 3", or just the 1, and then the attack ends, adding up the damage up to the first push?

Post subject: Re: Push Question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:54 pm 
Founder of the Republic

The answer is in the section delaing with damage trees, at the start of page 8:

Rules PDF v1.01, p. 8 wrote:
If the resolution of any effect leaves the attacker or defender positioned such that the attacker no longer engages the defender, the attack cannot continue, and any successes not yet applied are lost.

So you have it correct; you don't have to follow, but you lose anything that would no longer be in engagement range.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:55 pm 
Crudus

If, after a certain box, you are not within engagement range of the enemy model, you are not able to continue on the damage tree. Therefore, any boxes after the specific push you didn't follow up on, are ignored.

Edit: Ninja'd...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:57 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Sheijtan wrote:
Edit: Ninja'd...

Gotcha!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:11 pm 
Noxius

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:33 pm 
Crudus

Kind of a necro follow-up to this question:
Say I start in base-to-base contact with an enemy model and I successfully push the model 1". Now I am exactly 1" away from the model. Do I HAVE to follow-up in order to continue dealing damage? Or is the 1" line considered to be within my engagement range?

I have been playing it that you are within engagement range still at 1" and can continue to deal damage... but it's been challenged by other players and I can't authoritatively say that I am correct, so I thought I'd bring it up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:06 pm 
Noxius

You aren't required to follow up the full 1", so if your opponent is being pedantic, you could follow up with a tiny move forward, to maintain your position while still being less than an inch away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:31 pm 
Crudus

MysteriousRacer_X wrote:
You aren't required to follow up the full 1", so if your opponent is being pedantic, you could follow up with a tiny move forward, to maintain your position while still being less than an inch away.

That is a beautiful solution!! Not gonna lie, pretty ashamed I didn't think of that. Thanks!!