Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:27 am 
Viridis

I like the idea of cards that either take or give favor points to both players. That sounds fun.

Basically, I like messing with resources - favor and fatigue.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:10 pm 
Noxius

So basically several things maybe possible,

I was thinking that the God theme could be a deck where 1 card is drawn for the whole game which then adds something major and really fun (probably something really annoying tho :p )

Now got it in my head that maybe every ludus could have some cards and based on the different cohorts facing each other you mix the deck from which the card is drawn.

But on the other hand I also like the idea where minor effects take place and change every turn. These can be more about resources while the god thing can be more in the line of "Neptune floods the arena so start swimming"-kind of stuff :p

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:53 pm 
Crudus

I also envisioned the god things as being a sort of global continuous effect where you'd only have one per game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:18 am 
Noxius

I made a list with some ideas and poured it into a spreadsheet.
Ofcourse, nothing of this is tested.
Sadly, I do not get enough games played to test them al thoroughly :(
So feel free to add comments or maybe test some things and give me your thoughts :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:04 am 
Noxius

I glanced over the list and some of the abilities remind me of the Patreon system that Red Republic used at the Adepticon event this year. Here is some of the write up on the abilities.

Basically a patron is supporting their favorite gladiators during a match with benefits.

Before the match ups the players bid on which "patron" or set of benefits they want or bid on who chooses first, second, etc. whatever the group decides or works fastest.

Each player has 16 points to bid. Any points remaining after the bid are used to buy benefits during matches. Points do not recover between matches so whatever you have left has to last you the entire tournament. Makes bidding a bit more tense.

Benefits ranged from spending 1 point to heal all remaining gladiators in a cohort 1 health box to for 3 points you can start the game on a clear turn. Some patrons had two abilities. (I had the heal every one one health box and for two points I could replicate Lupa's Caveat Emptor). Some patron benefits were only available once per match like cancel another players reaction or get two reactions during an opponent's activation. In general there was a good variety but I do not remember them all.

I think these abilities would be a nice add. I also think a weather randomizer woudl be cool too. Like Stormy weather... Add 1/2" to push distances due to slippery conditions. Or Heat Wave... All actions cost a fatigue, including the free move. Blizzard (for those matches in the far Zephyri regions) movement is halved or lethal pit hazards are filled with snow so do not kill but cause an Entangle effect when you move out of them.

Those are just off the top of my head but I think weather should be an active element in the matches and could be really interesting.