Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:32 am 
Noxius

Hey everyone. First off, why are all the text boxes in black type with a black background? Is that just me? It makes it so I have to highlight the box to see what I typed. Is that normal?

Anyway, I just discovered this game. I watched some battle reports on Youtube to get a good feel for the game and how it plays. I really like the smaller skirmish sized gameplay, with a handful of models on each side. I also like the fact that it can scale up to having larger monsters that account for 2 (or more maybe?) cards. The very fluid and tactical combat is also interesting.

The one thing I don't really like are the miniatures. It's not like they aren't beautifully sculpted, as they are, but I just don't like the style. I more enjoy heroic scale fantasy miniatures, like from Warhammer. The realistic style I don't like. It's hard for me to tell one model from another. I'm still willing to give it a chance if the gameplay is solid.

Here are some of the questions I had for you all:

1) How much record keeping is required in the game? I know you track HP on the cards, and your favor dice. I don't like a lot of record keeping in my games. Does it slow down the game at all?

2) Does the game scale up at all to using more models? How many models is optimal per side? How many models do you think would be too many per player to slow down the game?

3) How flexible is the game to being modified? Maybe making new characters or rules?

4) Are there any ranged attacks in the game? I think it would be cool to have a few models with ranged attacks, even though the focus is on melee combat. Back to number 3, do you think you could create a hero with a bow or javelin or something?

5) How crazy can you get with terrain? I've seen pillars, pits, and spikes, but I'm wondering if you can make multiple levels. I think it would be cool if you had wooden platforms that are elevated in the middle that you could fight over, and you could knock fighters off. Are there rules for stuff like that?

6) Anything else you think someone new should know about this game? I might try to proxy some models and play some games just to get a feel. Maybe explain the ebb and flow and the meta to me a bit?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:42 am 
Viridis

Big problem with the forum here - new people come in and ask questions, but their posts are only approved at a later date, at which point they don't appear as new anymore, so nobody notices the post.

Anyway... only a year late.

1) How much record keeping is required in the game? I know you track HP on the cards, and your favor dice. I don't like a lot of record keeping in my games. Does it slow down the game at all?

A) Not really any record keeping other than what you mention. HP on the cards, favor dice as dice, and fatigue as fatigue tokens. Can't think of anything else really.

2) Does the game scale up at all to using more models? How many models is optimal per side? How many models do you think would be too many per player to slow down the game?

A) To me, the fact that you only activate one model per turn, no matter how many models you have, means that there is not much point in having large numbers of models. All it really does is make the game longer. I personally thing small 3-model games are really great, and going up to 5 or 6 models makes the game still great, but take more time. Going over 6 seems pointless to me, because at that stage I would rather just play two short games rather than one long one.

Again, gameplay isn't really slowed down by adding more models, since even if you have 20 models on the table, you still only get to activate one per turn. It will just take a really really long time for you to chew through all those models.

3) How flexible is the game to being modified? Maybe making new characters or rules?

A) Very easy to do. If you want to make your own models, you just either have to forego having cool cards, or be creative and make your own cards.

4) Are there any ranged attacks in the game?

A) Not at this stage, and there are no rules for line of sight or anything like that in the rules, so it doesn't seem like it is intended. Zahra has a whip with long range, that is the closest we get. You can obviously make your own rules if you want, and only you can find out whether you think it improves the game or not.

5) How crazy can you get with terrain? I've seen pillars, pits, and spikes, but I'm wondering if you can make multiple levels. I think it would be cool if you had wooden platforms that are elevated in the middle that you could fight over, and you could knock fighters off. Are there rules for stuff like that?

A) No, not much. The rulebook mentions that you should go nuts with terrain, but there are no actual rules for things like multi-level, so you have to make those rules up yourself. Which should not be difficult.

6) Anything else you think someone new should know about this game? I might try to proxy some models and play some games just to get a feel. Maybe explain the ebb and flow and the meta to me a bit?

A) The fatigue system takes some getting used to, but I think it is super clever and fun. The reason you don't need many models is that you really have to "fence" with your opponent when it comes to attacks and reactions, making the most of your most precious resources, health and fatigue. It's not a game of mass charges - it's a game of ducking and weaving and positioning, which I enjoy.