Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:39 am 
Crudus

I am new to Arena Rex I just became an emissary and am waiting on my models to arrive! Zephyri - Starter Set with a Leo is what I received. Would any one like to mentor me in this game? I am looking for someone to kinda guide me through what I need to do!

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:11 pm 
Viridis

Hello!

Happy to help online-wise, but I think maybe I need a bit more info to go on. Have you read the game rules and/or played the game?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:42 pm 
Crudus

We stand at the ready.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:04 pm 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
Hello!

Happy to help online-wise, but I think maybe I need a bit more info to go on. Have you read the game rules and/or played the game?

I have read the rules but never played in a game (there is no one here that plays, I seen the game at Adepticon 2018)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:59 am 
Viridis

In that case, my best suggestion would be to start with getting experience. You would need a set of at least six models, like two starter sets, and presumably the way forward is to ask some of your friends that like games to play with you.

You need dice, measuring tape, the usual stuff, and a game surface. A few hazard pieces are nice too. You can start with playing two starter sets against each other, but one of the beauties of the game is that you can mix it up any way you like, so I would suggest swapping models around between the two teams between games, so you get a feel for the variety of playing with and against different models.

You can do solitaire games too, if you just want to get familiar with the rules fast. I.e. just play against yourself.

When you run into things that seem confusing, you can come back here and ask questions of us, that we can probably answer. Answering questions is what we are good at. Your job is to get organised, play games and have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:19 pm 
Crudus

my models should be arriving today!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:22 pm 
Viridis

High five. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:42 pm 
Crudus

The way I like to teach people at first is to use only the front of the cards for the first couple rounds. Basically, get the mechanics down and ignore all ludus benefits and special abilities. Then, once people/you have the gist of the turn structure amd mechanics, read everyone’s special abilities and play a few more rounds. Once you are done with that first game, swap forces and play a fresh game with the new characters.
That way, everyone gets a feel for the basics and a few special rules.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:36 pm 
Crudus

I got the Zephyri Starter kit today with a Leo! I'm hoping to get the Legio-XIII starter set next, I already almost have Leo together! in this community is there a strict color scheme to use? My favorite color combo is Green and White and I don't want people getting irate over colors.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:29 am 
Viridis

You can definitely paint the models any colours you want! And one of the more important things to remember about this game is that you don't have to stick to one "faction" when you are designing cohorts. Depending on what benefits you want, you can mix and match as you please. So there is less reason for painting each school in different colours in this game compared to other similar games. You can do anything whatsoever you want.

If you have the Zephyri starter and Leo, and your intention is to get playing, next step would be to get some more models to act as opposition to your first team here (of course you can proxy with models from other ranges if you like). Any thoughts on where you want to go next?