Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:38 pm 
Viridis

I thought maybe a new thread for discussion of this brand new release might be appropriate.

Just to confirm... the new subfaction, the Exilii, can actually include any model. It is the complete opposite of the gorgons. The only condition is that the cohort include Cato.

And... the benefits in it are not restricted to either ludus models or gladiators.

So you can swap Anum for Cato in a Bestiae cohort and have a valid Exilii cohort where the beasts can benefit from the benefits (healing and relentless). You can swap Cato for any model in the entire game, and that cohort will now be eligible for Exilii benefits, no matter what it consists of.

It seems a bit extreme to me... we now have to ask for any ludus benefits, present and future, would Exilii be better? Because they are always an option.

Pretty interesting I gotta say. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:07 pm 
Viridis

And Cato comes with a mount, apparently, Ladon the Lizard. Which is also interesting. I would never have guessed that they would do a mount and rider that are effectively independents.

It means that you can do a cohort of only mounted riders and they can get Exilii benefits. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:12 am 
Noxius

*deleted due to me not thinking*

Saw the Komodo dragon mount in the Adepticon display and it is awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:05 pm 
Viridis

Yeah I like the dragon too. :) The exile and his pet.

I wonder if he will be popular with the gorgons... if you want to play gorgons in something other than a six-card game, you can use Cato. Cato plus two gorgons is five cards and the awesome-seeming Exile benefits. Seems good to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:32 pm 
Viridis

One question.

One of the exile benefits is called "No Fate". It just says "Cost: 2 Favor. A friendly model with 5 or fewer vitality recovers 3 vitality."

It doesn't say that this is a tactic. And it doesn't cost fatigue from a specific model, it just costs favor from your generic favor pool.

So... can you use it at any time, as many times as you can afford? I don't see any restriction, implied or otherwise, on when you can use it.

Would be super annoying if you can use it while an opponent is attacking you...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:37 pm 
Crudus

Where are you homies seeing all this? I haven't come across any photos or info yet!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:04 pm 
Crudus

ripper.mcguirl wrote:
Where are you homies seeing all this? I haven't come across any photos or info yet!

Not my photos, but I have them saved on my Dakka Dakka gallery...
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:26 pm 
Noxius

Cato seems... pretty crazy strong. Average durability before including a pretty insane defensive ability (a successful favor along gives him average Def). Average/lowish initial damage that ramps up significantly. He's scary. Probably not broken, but pretty scary. His lizard could easily nudge him over the top.

Exilii has some interesting quirks. For one, it looks like you have to be sure to include at least 2 other Ludii to keep from accidentally qualifying for another. Not a big deal, but its not like the Beastai situation where you can just choose to be the stronger Moritori. Powerful bonuses too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:35 pm 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
I thought maybe a new thread for discussion of this brand new release might be appropriate.

Just to confirm... the new subfaction, the Exilii, can actually include any model. It is the complete opposite of the gorgons. The only condition is that the cohort include Cato.

And... the benefits in it are not restricted to either ludus models or gladiators.

So you can swap Anum for Cato in a Bestiae cohort and have a valid Exilii cohort where the beasts can benefit from the benefits (healing and relentless). You can swap Cato for any model in the entire game, and that cohort will now be eligible for Exilii benefits, no matter what it consists of.

It seems a bit extreme to me... we now have to ask for any ludus benefits, present and future, would Exilii be better? Because they are always an option.

Pretty interesting I gotta say. :)

So, after looking at Cato's card and the Exilii benefit, I don't think this is quite accurate. It reads: "Any cohort that includes Cato and does not qualify for any other benefits may use the Exilii benefits." The way I'm reading that, if you have three Legio gladiators plus Cato they would NOT be eligible for Exilli since they also qualify for the Legio benefits due to the 75% threshold. But if you had two Legio, one Zephyri, plus Cato you'd be OK because you don't have three of four from the same ludus. Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:56 am 
Viridis

Gomez wrote:
So, after looking at Cato's card and the Exilii benefit, I don't think this is quite accurate. It reads: "Any cohort that includes Cato and does not qualify for any other benefits may use the Exilii benefits." The way I'm reading that, if you have three Legio gladiators plus Cato they would NOT be eligible for Exilli since they also qualify for the Legio benefits due to the 75% threshold. But if you had two Legio, one Zephyri, plus Cato you'd be OK because you don't have three of four from the same ludus. Does that make sense?

Yep... I get it now too. I read it as "and you do not choose another benefits card", but you're right, it says that if you simply have the option of being another ludus, then you can't be exiles.

Which is kind of harsh - it means you need to know all other ludus benefits cards in the game before you know whether you can be exiles! :D Not a real problem in practice at the moment, but could be weird in the future if more altenative ludus benefits are released. Like, I could make an exiles cohort today, and if RRG release a new ludus benefits card in the future that my cohort happens to qualify for, then I am no longer allowed to have them as exiles...