Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:33 am 
Viridis

The pose is one thing - it looks like it is standing up completely straight to attention, and has been asked to lift one of its front legs. No movement in it at all, super static. The other thing is the face, which to me doesn't really look realistically like a tiger, and also looks derpy. Like it's a cartoon tiger meant to look stupid.

In the artwork, it is crouched down and looking threatened and angry, like it is about to leap out at you. Great art, very disappointing model.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:45 pm 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
The pose is one thing - it looks like it is standing up completely straight to attention, and has been asked to lift one of its front legs. No movement in it at all, super static. The other thing is the face, which to me doesn't really look realistically like a tiger, and also looks derpy. Like it's a cartoon tiger meant to look stupid.

In the artwork, it is crouched down and looking threatened and angry, like it is about to leap out at you. Great art, very disappointing model.

After going back ad looking at him for a couple days now, I think I might buy him when available and work on sculpting a new head. The body is boring but really technically good. My greenstuff skills aren’t strong but I did some sculpture back when I was an art student that wasn’t half bad so I’m tempted to give it a go. There are enough tips/tricks/advice/tutorials out there now that I’m pretty sure it won’t be terrible - and worst case scenario, I can always go back to the original head.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:27 am 
Viridis

Gomez wrote:
After going back ad looking at him for a couple days now, I think I might buy him when available and work on sculpting a new head. The body is boring but really technically good. My greenstuff skills aren’t strong but I did some sculpture back when I was an art student that wasn’t half bad so I’m tempted to give it a go. There are enough tips/tricks/advice/tutorials out there now that I’m pretty sure it won’t be terrible - and worst case scenario, I can always go back to the original head.

Your comment is making me wonder if I should try something similar. I definitely won't have the skills to sculpt a new head, but now I have some ideas.

I feel like I would want to modify both the body and head. For the body, I was thinking of cutting it up so it is moving and looking sideways instead of straight ahead. I could see that doing wonders for getting some tension/dynamism into the pose. When it comes to posing, I find that I often cannot predict what reposing a model will look like until I actually do it. So I'll start with an idea, but it will come down to trial and error.

For the head, it looks to me from the pictures like my main issues are that it looks strangely bug-eyed, and it has its teeth sticking out weirdly. It should theoretically be possible to modify these traits with a knife and green stuff. Worth a try. Also, the head could be lowered so it looks like a more sinister prowly deal.

Thanks for bringing it up, now I actually feel good about getting him...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:46 am 
Noxius

Does anyone else's card say "Snatch" instead of "Drag"?

Also for those thinking about converting, the model comes with 5 pieces, the body, the head, tail, and the two right legs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 am 
Noxius

After reading Atrox's fluff I see now why they went with a stalking look instead of something more like the art

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:33 pm 
Crudus

I am almost tempted to try filing down the mane on a Leo model and starting there, rather than use an Atrox. When I think of a tiger, I think of that scary ears-back pose like in the concept art. If I could swing it, I'd just flip his ears back, and cut Leos face off and stick it on the Atrox model, but I think at that point, I'd be murdering two models to get one. Maybe I'll cut Leos head off, put it on Atrox...and put Acerbus' spare head on the Leo model as some kind of chimera beast or Low-Rider Proximo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:45 pm 
Crudus

Had a bolt of inspiration strike me today and thought about using this guy as a proxy...

Obviously I'd need to rebase him, but he already fits a 50mm base well and looks suitably "beastly" to be a decent substitute. Plus, I think his skills could be a decent match for crocodilian traits.

Spent an hour or so on this...
et voila!

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:21 am 
Viridis

Ha! That is a super brilliant idea. I have always adored the Snapjaw model, by far my favourite big gator, and he looks like he should fit in the arena very well. I salute you and your idea for a crocodilian Atrox!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:42 am 
Crudus

Awesome! I was kicking around a gator idea, and have also been casually looking around for sabretooth tiger models.