Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Meta in Arena Rex
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:19 am 
Noxius

So, playing other games obviously gamers know at some point armies, rules, models, factions become top tier or at least a large group of players use them.

I've seen some so far, and I'd like to ask about your experiences as well.

Here's what I've noticed:

Morituri benefits are popular. Whether a small portion of an army is them, or even in the case of beasts with Morituri model or models. Theirs benefits are so good.

Gaius Pallidus is a throw in. I've seen him in multiple non Legio factions.

Titans are awesome throw ins as well. Can't move em and some come in 1 card form. Thats amazing. I imagine in competitive armies people will be bringing a lot of them.

I didnt notice anyone forego faction benefits for their choice or random models mostly, but I anticipate that at some point.

Anyone been to Adepticon and Gencon and seen any trends?

Post subject: Re: Meta in Arena Rex
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:27 am 
Crudus

I have never played in an official tournament, so I can only speak to my casual gaming group. But the combo of Hermes, Otho and Viatrix comes up quite a bit, and is very frustrating to play against. Right now, I only play Zephyri, so Favor is scarce and at a premium, so shutting that down even more is just mean.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:31 am 
Viridis

Once people start being interested enough, I figure someone will start collecting data about what models people use in tournaments at various cons, and we can start seeing who and what are most popular in a more systematic fashion. I think at the moment we are more at an anecdotal stage.

My powers of observation seem to suggest to me that Anum and the beasts are very popular, whether they use Morituri or Bestiae benefits (I kinda like that there is a real choice there and bestiae aren't purely better). I attribute this to people just loving the beast models. I know I do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:43 am 
Viridis

Josh of the Cool Guys posted in another thread that he used this list to good effect in a recent tournament, local from the sound of it:

"Ur-Keck
Zahara
Iocasta
Gaius Palidus
Wendigo
Dextarius

using Morturi Benefits :P"

It reminds me that Gaius Pallidus seems very popular in general as far as I can tell. So taking him, Iocasta with her "wow!" piercing ability, and Morituri benefits seems to me to be three elements of a "general good stuff" list.

Wendigo and Dextarius seem a little more unusual, but are both one-stage titans, which automatically has game I think, from being both inexpensive (normal cost as opposed to double cost) and unpushable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:39 pm 
Noxius

Yep, Titans help block pits and such, help control the board space too. Gravy Fatigue control then for them!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:38 pm 
Noxius

KaptainWalrus
-Oh totally good point....I've played that combo at least 4 times in around a couple dozen games in my career.....very overused combo.

Wishing-

First comment-Beasts are not that popular over here. Two guys, and only one person plays them consistently.....I do think from a standpoint of whats competitive, you take Morituri over the beast benefits hands down. To me, the Morituri have the best faction benefits clean cut

Second Comment-yes.....one card titans that dont change your faction % are great and honestly both their profiles are just really good too IMO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 pm 
Noxius

Oh and Wishing Im huge on list building and just trying things out thats why I am probably one of the people who will try to gather this information as much as possible.

In other game systems I purposely look for ways to beat the meta to help make sure the entire game doesnt turn into one big battle of everyone using the same armies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:31 am 
Viridis

OnceAgainJupiter wrote:
In other game systems I purposely look for ways to beat the meta to help make sure the entire game doesnt turn into one big battle of everyone using the same armies.

Do you mean that you look at what most other people are playing, and then try to do something else to show that you can be successful in different ways?

If so, then I think that is a great approach. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:55 am 
Noxius

Wishing wrote:
OnceAgainJupiter wrote:

Do you mean that you look at what most other people are playing, and then try to do something else to show that you can be successful in different ways?

If so, then I think that is a great approach. :)

Generally in a way yes though I admit I dont use the 'weakest' armies on purpose.

When I started this game I was at a convention and saw loads of people walking away with the boxed set starters and I didnt know what to choose.

One of the creators mentioned I could use only animals, and I was sold. I figured they would be not so competitive but probably tough in combat at least and more rare to use. At least locally, they are rare to use primarily but they actually are pretty tough too.

I also wanted to build an army without Ludus benefits to see if I can just pick guys I like and still succeed.

Basically in most games I will use the top combinations to compete but love trying out new things. If the meta in a game is shooting armies, I try to defeat them. If its magic, I try to stop magic etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:25 am 
Viridis

So your current mission is to work to beat Morituri, Gaius Pallidus and titans?