Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:06 am 
Noxius

Hello
I recently picked up some Zephyri models for Arena Rex and I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any input.

I have every Zephyri model except the horse and Vargr. I plan to stay away from Vargr as I want my force to be Norse themed. I will try to modify Hroka to fit my theme.

For my starting list I was thinking of using Hagal and Frigge, but I cant decide on the 3rd.

I do not understand what makes Leika worth fielding.

-Her damage is nothing impressive unless you reach the bottom of the tree.
-Her snare that sounds good is avoided by pushing from 1" away.
-Encircle only seems useful if you engage an enemy who happens to be near a trap AND you have to roll above average to get any useful push distance.

Assuming Leika is as bad as I think is Zephyri so favor starved that I need Hroka?

Who would you pick for a 3rd?

Additionally my opponent is going to be playing Morituri, so I dont have to worry about the gladiators that take all my favor away that I hear horror stories about.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:04 pm 
Viridis

I haven't played Leika yet, but on paper I agree with you that she doesn't seem particularly impressive to me. But in a previous thread on here, other posters argued that her abilities might be more useful in practice than they seem in theory. I dunno.

How about Bjarrhvit for your third?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 am 
Noxius

She's definitely nothing special on paper, but her abilities are interesting none the less. Encircle messes with hazard angles in a way that makes her a little similar to Zahra where you can't hide behind a pillar. It's also nice that Encircle auto triggers Snare. The latter would be better if the combo didn't leave her fatigued and unable to react in response, but its definitely interesting to walk B2B to someone and threaten a reactive attack if they try to move.

3v3 games tend to be a little more DPS races than even 4v4. Adding the 4th gladiator really opens up some of the tech slots. In any case, if you've already got the fighter; give them a go. The worst that can happen is they lose and you'll learn something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:42 am 
Noxius

First of all, 12 damage in 5 successes isnt that common.

I like her special rule a lot...you can use it to push other models into your own army. Maybe team her up with Aemelia and get MAJOR damage in.

The double push and encircle can also push into living hazards with maneuverability.

Judging by the wording of ensnare, you can put her in base contact with those like Nero, Acerbus, Micon.....other things that can push and they no longer continue to follow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 am 
Noxius

Pushing for the extra success is probably the right strategy. Makes her a solid finisher if someone has already gone in to set it up. The big problem is just that she's got a huge drop off between 4 and 5 success and 4 successes isn't exactly easy or likely. It's also worth noting that while 12 is quite rare (actually unique, but there's 2 higher), 11 is half the models in the game.

The issue with stopping the pushes is just that unless she is clear of stress to react, the opponent can just step away. It does make using her reaction to walk up to something after it moves interesting though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:09 am 
Noxius

Leika's value comes as a support character. She can help set up push enemies out of position or set them up to be pinballed between your characters. Her Snare is great for locking down pushers like Urien or Acerbus. Especially handy if another model is in danger of getting knocked into a pit. Also, it prevents models from Repositioning.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:36 am 
Viridis

DakkaDakka12 wrote:
Additionally my opponent is going to be playing Morituri, so I dont have to worry about the gladiators that take all my favor away that I hear horror stories about.

I was just reading this, and wondering... the only gladiator I can think of that can actively take away your favor is Thoth... and he is Morituri, so if your opponent plays Morituri, then you specifically *do* have to worry about that. :)