Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:41 am 
Viridis

Stheno is also ARM 0, although we already talked about her. Though I did just notice the Violent ability on her second form, which gives her an unconditional free attack every turn (I wonder if it can be upgraded to a power attack). That seems really powerful, hopefully making up for her really low damage.

Agreed that Euryale's second form is a monster. I didn't realise that she can do as much damage as Noxius. And with ATK 7 and Hot Blooded!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:06 am 
Viridis

One thing I am pondering is if Anum is interesting to play in a normal cohort, i.e. without it just being him and beasts.

The main reason to take beasts with him is that he can interact with them in two ways: They do not wild attack him, and using Cleopatra's Gift, he can make them attack your enemy. His only other ability is a negative one. So without beasts, he is basically a guy with no special rules.

But he has DEF 3, which is unique so far for Morituri I think, and his damage tree seems nice, he can both reposition or generate favor with just two successes. Plus he is on a medium base, which is an ability in itself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:19 am 
Viridis

LunarSol wrote:
Speaking of important uses of abilities, its worth noting that Euryale has lots of reasons to Power Attack. Generally speaking, if you're Exhausting a fighter, a power attack is better than two attacks (the extra average successes almost always do close enough to double damage to be superior after armor) but even if you ignore Hot Blooded, Euryale gets one of the biggest damage buffs when she power attacks.

I would like to ask you about this. You seem to have a way of analysing damage trees that I don't quite understand yet. Can you explain?

Take Iocasta for example. Her damage tree goes 2-2-1-3-2. So she can do a max damage of 10 with one attack, which is 1 lower than the norm of 11.

She has ATK 6, so on average she should get 3 successes on an attack. If her target gets 1 defense success, she gets 2 successes in. She does 4 damage, because she ignores armour. If she didn't ignore armour, she would do 2 damage.

If she did a power attack instead, she should get 4.5 successes. We can round up to 5 I guess. After defense, it is 4 successes. So she does 8 damage. Or 6 damage if she didn't have armour piercing.

So in that example, she does the same damage with a power attack as with two normal attacks. If she didn't have armour piercing, it would be triple damage - but crucially that's only because she has that 3 node. If we round down to 4 successes instead of up to 5 successes, she only does 3 damage, so less than two normal attacks.

Is this what you mean by mapping out the game?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:28 pm 
Noxius

That's more or less it, yeah. I went through and mapped out how much damage an attack will do depending on how many successes I got to get an idea what an attack is worth. Basically, if you look across the line, models do about 2 damage per success on average, so you can get an idea of a model's damage curve by seeing if they're above or below the 2/4/6/8/10 line depending on the number of successes they get at any point. It's far from definitive, but it helps visualize a characters role in the arena.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:45 pm 
Noxius

I can't see any real reason to take Anum without beasts. On his own he's pretty average; average survivability (though you can limit him by killing the hyena and below average speed and early damage. His human damage tree is kind of interesting for the ability to generate favor, move someone around and fatigue them, but he's really only interesting in the context of Frenzy and the cohort benefits. That's true of the Moritori in general though; their special rules are generally more interesting than their base stats.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:13 pm 
Viridis

LunarSol wrote:
His human damage tree is kind of interesting for the ability to generate favor, move someone around and fatigue them, but he's really only interesting in the context of Frenzy and the cohort benefits.

And it seems to me that the Bestiae benefits are not that dissimilar to the Morituri benefits, certainly not definitively better. So if we say that his access to those benefits isn't that interesting either (since he can also use the Morituri), then really the only thing that he is about is the Frenzy ability.

Which, granted, is really cool, so I'm ok with that. As long as he can activate it without dying. So I would argue that taking him in a cohort that doesn't have either Morituri or Bestiae benefits would be completely meaningless. :)

(Unless his Musk is seen as important by someone, somewhere. I guess it can be marginally useful to be able to tag team with beast without risk of getting attacked by it.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:03 am 
Crudus

Anum is useful if there are any Living Hazards in play too as he can freely move within their threat range to get an enemy attacked without fear of being mauled.
Situational and not really a top tier ability... but still useful.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:46 am 
Noxius

Wishing wrote:
One thing I am pondering is if Anum is interesting to play in a normal cohort, i.e. without it just being him and beasts.

The main reason to take beasts with him is that he can interact with them in two ways: They do not wild attack him, and using Cleopatra's Gift, he can make them attack your enemy. His only other ability is a negative one. So without beasts, he is basically a guy with no special rules.

But he has DEF 3, which is unique so far for Morituri I think, and his damage tree seems nice, he can both reposition or generate favor with just two successes. Plus he is on a medium base, which is an ability in itself.

I took him to a tournament when I only owned a few models for the morituri benefit I took Anum.
Without the beast rules hes crap. He was weak in combat and just an easy target for opponents. I went 2-1 but he dragged me down.