Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Alternative arena design
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:58 am 
Viridis

One thing that I feel like Arena Rex might benefit from is a supplement that deals with options to use what I here call "alternative arena design". By this I mean some kind of arena that isn't a standard arena, i.e. flat and open, with some hazards scattered around it.

As it is now, the game is designed to be played in a standard arena, and it works really well. It's perfectly cool to just leave it at that. It does make sense. The point of the arena being flat and open is that it is really easy for the spectators to look down and see all the action.

But I kinda like thinking in options and alternatives for default settings, especially when it comes to something visual.

One simple example is: How about some kind of labyrinth? I.e. instead of a big open space, you would have a bunch of interconnected corridors and passages.

If you made an arena like that, would it make sense to consider every wall to be a hazard? Then hazards would be everywhere, and basically every attack would easily be able to push the opponent into a wall (since just touching the wall at an angle would suffice). Would that be fun, or boring? Plus, there are no rules for line of sight in the core game, so in principle models would be able to attack each other through walls if the walls were thin, unless you made a house rule to change that.

Another possibility is to have elevated levels in the arena, like platforms that would require steps or ladders to get on or off. This is something that there are no rules for at all in the core rules, so players would have to make these up - which is something I'm considering doing just now. Hence this thread.

Any thoughts welcome. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 am 
Crudus

They had some elevated platforms at the GenCon tournament with ramps leading up to them. A couple of issues arose that you would need to address if that method is used.

1- at what point can a model access the ramp? Do they have to enter fully from the flat side touching the ground (the front of the ramp)? Or is there some height they can step over to get on the ramp from the side? This makes a huge difference in being able to reach enemies to attack them on the platform. I used a lot of large based Titans and having to fully walk them around to the front of the ramp in order to go up the ramp made them a bit unwieldy.

2 - while on a platform, how far over the edge do you have to be pushed to fall off the platform. Is it when you touch it (like a pit)? If so, I recommend you make the platforms a bit wider than realistically normal in order for two gladiators to be able to maneuver on them side by side.
I like the idea of it happening as you get pushed to the edge. A lot cleaner to judge if it super realistic. Some folks argued that it should be half the base or when the model couldn’t physically balance any more, but I think that would just be more fiddly and lead to challenges. Also bases could be worked to aid in balancing so you’d be more difficult to push over.

3 - what’s the result/penalty of being pushed off the platform? Personally I would like it to not just be static damage. Maybe one fatigue plus an ARM roll against 3 successes for one damage each (obviously Armor doesn’t apply after that).

4 - does engagement range extend vertically? Can someone on the ground attack some on the platform or vice-versa? I think being on the platform should give you some sort of high ground advantage since there’s always the risk of being pushed off. Maybe upgrade one of your normal dice to a favor die.

Just thoughts. I’m sure I’ll have more later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:29 am 
Viridis

Exactly. It's easy to think that this is all intuitive, but there are loads of questions like the ones you present that you have to consider.