Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:49 am 
Viridis

I dunno about anyone else, but I think that beasts, and the fact that some of them can be ridden, are one of the coolest things about Arena Rex.

So far, at the time of writing this, we have three potential mounts.

Nero, the angry bull.
Sereqet, the big-ass scorpion.
Caho-Ta, the flailing horse.

Nero is my personal favourite, but I'm not a big fan of Sereqet. I think it's the fact that the scorpion body sits so low to the ground that makes me feel like it doesn't look that good as a mount. The new horse looks pretty cool too though, even though it looks a bit like it has swallowed a poisonous toad and is in its death throes.

The obvious elephant in the room* though is that there is one great ludus left that doesn't have a mount. The Legio needs love.

I saw a post somewhere here that said they should have another horse, but personally, I would prefer either a bear or a giant dire wolf. The Legio is from the northern forests, and has a wolf as its symbol, so these suit very well I think. I like the dire wolf idea because it is a bit mythological - Nero and Caho-Ta are both mundane-looking animals, so I would appreciate another giant magical beast to accompany Sereqet.

* I guess the Legio could also get the elephant in the room. If it was a mini-elephant.

Once we have one mount per ludus, I imagine that will be it for a while. I don't imagine RRG will go mount-crazy and make a bunch of new ones, although I would like that for sure. But the mounts we have are impressive centrepieces, and I feel like each ludus having access to just one makes sense for now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:17 am 
Noxius

Crosspost from the Arena Rex subreddit (UgLove is one of the RRG guys)-

RFarmer 2 points 3 months ago
Actually now that you mention it I remember talking to the creators at Adepticon. I think they mentioned Legio was getting a war horse. Not a quick stallion like the Zephyri, but a monster Clydesdale or something. I totally forgot until just now.

UgLove 2 points 3 months ago
The gladiator knight is coming... clip clop.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:27 am 
Viridis

Thank you! That's probably the thing I remember reading somewhere else then. I still think it would be a shame to not get a ridden dire wolf or bear, but I look forward to seeing this supposed upcoming warhorse.

If it's a warhorse, will it have armour and barding and stuff I wonder? If so, might that not look weird when it's fielded as a riderless beast? Things I ponder.

I'll just have to lobby to get a giant wolf or bear as a normal living hazard beast then... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:28 pm 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
I'll just have to lobby to get a giant wolf or bear as a normal living hazard beast then... :mrgreen:

I know Nick has mentioned lobbying for a bear in RRG dev meetings, which would be awesome. I've been a big proponent of more beasts all along - wolves, jackals, tigers, leopards, bears, gorillas, mandrills, chimps, whatever...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:54 am 
Viridis

Totally. A bear sculpted with the same detailed realism and sense of gravity as Leo would be totally amazing, I'm sure.

I'm certainly looking forward to the upcoming tiger. That the gladiatorial arena has wild animals as individual character warriors is one of the foundations of the atmosphere of the game I think.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:21 pm 
Founder of the Republic

We do like other animals as well. Not sure how many of them will be mounts (or exactly which ones at the moment) but you can certainly expect both more mounts and more beasts from us over time. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:51 am 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
Totally. A bear sculpted with the same detailed realism and sense of gravity as Leo would be totally amazing, I'm sure.

I'm certainly looking forward to the upcoming tiger. That the gladiatorial arena has wild animals as individual character warriors is one of the foundations of the atmosphere of the game I think.

You should play the Beastia Ludus, it is a LOT of fun. Anum is great :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:13 am 
Viridis

zreef wrote:

It is inevitable!

I really heart the Proximo model, so I think he would be the cornerstone of any beast pack I would run with Anum. If I then also get a Nero model, then the three of them would form a nice 5-card beast cohort, I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:29 pm 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
zreef wrote:

It is inevitable!

I really heart the Proximo model, so I think he would be the cornerstone of any beast pack I would run with Anum. If I then also get a Nero model, then the three of them would form a nice 5-card beast cohort, I'm thinking.

I have been running Anum, Sereqet, and Leo as my main three. I have Nero, Acerbus, and an unassembled Proximo too. I think I will try a double team of Leo and Proximo. I also want to use Nero and Acerbus for some pushing shenanigans.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:17 am 
Viridis

Your trio sounds like the logical approach to a "starter cohort" - Leo and Sereqet are currently the only two beasts with only one stage, right? So this way you get a 3-card cohort like the other starters.

Leo and Proximo were also my first picks for a cohort that would look really cool together. But a 4-card cohort feels a bit wrong to me currently, since the rulebook suggests either a small game size of 3 cards, or a normal game size of 5-8 cards - the 4 card game size is skipped over entirely. But that's just me being silly, obviously you could play that too. :roll:

I'm not a fan of the Sereqet model myself (although I can see myself warming up to it some day), so if I were to take a 3-card beast cohort, it would probably just be Anum + Proximo. Which doesn't really feel right, to only start with two models - but maybe it will be just as fun to play. Who knows?

Hmm, now I'm thinking of how I could convert Sereqet to have its body raised up higher from the ground. Which would obviously make it look less like a real scorpion and more like a fantasy monster. But I can live with that...

I think that I have only seen playtest rules for Caho-Ta, but I am not sure... is he/she a one- or two-stage beast mount?