Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:49 pm 
Noxius

Hey all,

Working on an Arena Rex league for my Local store. Please leave feedback!

Arena Rex Campaign

Beginning cohorts:
Any Starter Box
Anum and two beasts or 1 titan
Others TBD (3 cards max)

Ideas for campaign:
Favor as Currency in between games. Does not impact favor in game but does allow for upkeep and recruitment of additional models.
Upkeep: (still working on numbers) Small bases 1 (2), Medium bases 2 (3), Titans 3 (5)
Upkeep is paid between games to maintain cohorts. Initial number is the minimum currency to maintain fighter in the cohort. Brackets number affects initial fatigue stage during game. If the bracket is not paid, models begin with an additional level of fatigue (Famished). This third level cannot be cleared except by a clear phase, morturi cannot clear this special level at the same time as other fatigue and will need an additional clear phase to remove.

Recruiting models between games:
Still working on number, but 5 for a small base, 7 for medium base and 10 for titan base.

Currency earned per game (Still working on numbers) 4 plus D3 for a loss, 6 plus D3 for a win

Betting (Additional prize/mechanic for fun)
Each noble (person running a cohort) in the league will have 50 gold to begin with. They can use this gold to wager wins/losses during the campaign. You may bet any amount on the outcome of any match in the league. You win double your gold wagered on a win, lose all of it on a loss. You may ONLY wager a win on your own match.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 am 
Viridis

Looks cool. Some questions/comments.

So the idea is that you have in-game favour, and between-game favor, and these have no relation to each other at all? If so, I might suggest renaming the new favor something else, like renown or something. No reason to create confusion where it's not necessary.

The main thing that leaps out at me is that I feel like in terms of model power, you are drawing some conclusions that the game as standard doesn't really support. Mainly in terms of base size and titans. I can use this quote as an example.

"Recruiting models between games:
Still working on number, but 5 for a small base, 7 for medium base and 10 for titan base."

You seem to be working with an assumption that the larger the base, the more powerful the model is. But that's not how Arena Rex is actually meant to work. If that was the case, then the core game would have balance issues I feel, since you can field three huge size bases, or three titans, against three small based models, and these all count as 3-card cohorts that are meant to be balanced against each other.

To break it down: The game has four different base sizes. The words are just ones I would use to describe them, because these are the corresponding terms in WM/H.

30mm = small
40mm = medium
50mm = large
60mm = huge

These base sizes do not indicate power. A 30mm based model (like Iocasta) is often more powerful than a 60mm based model (like Sereqet). And in terms of the game, they all "cost" the same.

Then there are model categories. Currently there are three in the game.

Gladiator
Beast
Titan

A model can be both a beast and a titan, or one or the other. Gladiators are all models that are neither beast nor titan.

Beasts and titans both get some special rules attached. But they are not attached to base size. As it is at the moment, all beasts and titans are either large or huge based, but in theory, you could have a small-based titan. And we do have one large based gladiator (Stheno).

Finally, you have a special model aspect called "stages". Additional cards with additional hitpoints. This is the only aspect of a model that changes how much it is "worth". So a model with two stages "costs" the same as two models with one stage.

So if you want to reference how much models are "worth" in the core game in your campaign rules, the only thing you can do is reference number of cards. So a Bestiae starting cohort, for example, would include Anum, and two cards' worth of beasts. Those cards would then either be two one-stage beasts or one two-stage beast. Since being a titan doesn't make models cost more in the core game, I don't understand why it would in your campaign rules.

I hope that makes sense. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:48 am 
Noxius

Thanks for the feedback!

I understand that base size does not denote power, It was more an effort to bring in a little reality (where it costs a ton to feed a rhino, a lot to feed the gregor clegane, and just a normal amount for a standard size human)

TBH, we could just move all costs for upkeep to a similiar amount depending on stages.

So we could split the difference and just put 2(3) for each stage.

Thoughts on gold wagering?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:01 am 
Viridis

Ahh, I see. The upkeep realism thing makes sense from a "feel right" perspective to be sure. I don't see a problem with it, as long as you keep in mind that it discourages the use of larger based models for no gameplay reason. But if you prefer to keep your games small-based, it makes perfect sense.

As for the gold wagers - the way you described it above, the gold isn't used for anything else, right? Just as a separate "gambling success" measurement device? Sounds great to me. :) You might want to address what happens if someone loses all their gold. Are they just permanently out of the betting game, or can they get a loan from the bank?

You could simplify the betting game by not having money involved, and just saying that each patron can make X bets during the course of the campaign, and the person who makes the most correct bets at the end of the campaign wins the betting game. But the gold thing sounds more fun.

Maybe specify that wagers have to be registered by some sort of authority before the game starts.

I have a suggestion for the sentence "You may ONLY wager a win on your own match." I might expand and rephrase it as "If you are betting on the outcome of your own match, you are only allowed to bet that you yourself will win and your opponent will lose. You are not allowed to bet that you will lose and your opponent will win."

Saying the same thing, but I didn't understand what the first sentence meant to begin with...