Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Home-brewed Scenarios
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:06 am 
Crudus

There isn't a category for house rules and stuff, so I thought I might start a topic to discuss scenarios that you might have come up with for your games.
I'm not talking about big rules changes, but more like small adaptations you have made to create a new and unique scenario, either to push a specific tactic or just for a more immersive ambiance.

Someone had posted in another thread about controlling a cohort of made up solely of Sereqet beasts and an Alpha ridden by Zahra. I thought the idea seemed pretty interesting, but was not quite ready to buy additional Sereqets just quite yet, so I tweaked it a little and came up with The Scorpion Pit:

If you are unlucky enough to enter the Scorpion Pit, you will be facing Sereqet as a living hazard and 4 of her minions as wounding hazards. The wounding hazards will have the following added rule "During a clear turn all minions shift 2 inches towards their nearest model. If two or more models are tied for nearest, choose randomly."

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 124.04 KiB | Viewed 6516 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:25 am 
Viridis

Hahaa, that is really cool. I like the idea a lot, and I like the little scorpions. When I read about the other idea, my first thought was that the cohort would look a little boring if it was just the exact same Sereqet model repeated 4-5 times. If there should be a leader and a bunch of minions, the leader should be bigger. So this image here works perfectly for me. And it should be pretty easy to find some smaller giant scorpion models I imagine.

I'd like some more detail for the scenario though. What you describe sounds like something that would happen to a single gladiator. Do you see the scorpion pit as a pit that is located within a normal arena?

And I imagine that the hazard scorpions move towards the nearest gladiator, not the nearest scorpion?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:10 am 
Viridis

I also take it that the intention with the wounding hazards is that they wound you if they move into you, not just if you get pushed into them?

I think my best idea for a scenario is similar. The idea of having more than one scorpion on the field is based on wanting to break out of the restriction that is very iconic for AR, which is that every model is a unique character. In the design spotlight for Leo, on why Leo is a character and not generic, RRG comment: "It fit with the design aesthetic of the whole line -- after all, we weren’t making generic myrmillos or dimacherii (or even noxii, despite Nick’s deep desire for a field littered with them); we were making characters."

I think making unique characters is a great choice for AR, but it is really difficult to resist wanting some generic options that can be fielded in multiples.

So I would go for the noxius idea. Basically make a scenario which is the same as the Primus Superiorum scenario in the rulebook, with two titan-rounds in the beginning, and one final round. The difference would be that instead of titans, each cohort has to battle a group of "lesser" noxii. I'm thinking a number of noxii equal to the number of gladiators they are fighting plus one. And for stats, I am thinking that a noxius would be like the character Noxius, except with only five generic vitality points. And the opponent playing the noxius cohort has no favor, and can gain no favor.

Makes sense?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:16 am 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
I also take it that the intention with the wounding hazards is that they wound you if they move into you, not just if you get pushed into them?

I thought about that but I think that would make it a little too unpredictable and make be too reliant on the environment if they wound you by running into you. That's why I used the term shift instead which would make them stop just short of hitting you. This way I feel it is still up to your enemy to use them to their advantage.

I guess this isn't really a scenario, but just more of a setting since the objectives don't change from a regular Munus game, it's just the arena that changes a bit with these moving hazards.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:31 am 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:

So I would go for the noxius idea. Basically make a scenario which is the same as the Primus Superiorum scenario in the rulebook, with two titan-rounds in the beginning, and one final round. The difference would be that instead of titans, each cohort has to battle a group of "lesser" noxii. I'm thinking a number of noxii equal to the number of gladiators they are fighting plus one. And for stats, I am thinking that a noxius would be like the character Noxius, except with only five generic vitality points. And the opponent playing the noxius cohort has no favor, and can gain no favor.

Makes sense?

That seems interesting, but it might get a little boring for the opponent to play a whole round with weaker Noxii... although he is a beast (metaphorically)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:34 pm 
Viridis

RidiQles wrote:
That seems interesting, but it might get a little boring for the opponent to play a whole round with weaker Noxii... although he is a beast (metaphorically)

True. Being a kind of GM for a bunch of identical mooks could very well be a dull chore for the person running them. With the titan, it's your own model, and just one model, so those rounds aren't going to take that long. Excellent point.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:32 pm 
Noxius

Awesome ideas, we play one where your champion is chained to a Hazard that is "reeling " him in and you have to free him. He is chained to a Hazard and each clear turn he moves 1 inch closer to the hazard. If he is pulled all the way in he\she dies. Also question where did you get the smaller Scorpions?