Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Minotaur!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:25 am 
Noxius

I got this Minotaur from http://www.sygill-forge.fr, and it's the perfect scale for use with Arena Rex. Now I just need to come up with stats and stuff for it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Just quickly threw this together in Illustrator but I haven't actually decided on any stats or abilities.

Post subject: Re: Minotaur!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:02 pm 
Noxius

Very cool! Is that a 60mm base? To me that says "titan" and with 2 stages and an ATT of 8 I could see this guy as a special scenario objective. As for balancing him for a ludus, his damage tree should be pretty brutal, but with an ATT of 8 that might make him a little too good. I could see him with some sort of bonus when he attacks directly after a move action too, or maybe Nero's GORE ability. Maybe give him HATED? That might help balance him (shudder thinking him using 2 favor with an ATT 8 during a power attack!).
I love this idea and honestly don't know why a minotaur isn't already in the current line up, as well as a centaur. One word of advice: once you are done creating his rules for the first few games give it to a buddy to play AGAINST you. Creating a fighter then using it is well and good but you get a much better balance perspective when you must face your own creations!
I cannot wait to see how Asterion turns out!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:17 pm 
Noxius

Yep 60mm base, I do think 8 ATK might be too much but I think I'll reduce armor to 0 so he won't be quite as irritating as Proximo is when he's on the other team. I do like the idea of giving him Hated as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:00 pm 
Viridis

Very cool idea. :) I think a minotaur isn't my first choice of mythological monster to add, mainly because we already have a bull in Nero. A centaur or cyclops I would be into though. But the important thing is that you have fun in your games with him, since he is your creation!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:02 pm 
Noxius

Here's a work in progress photo to show how THICK this model is. Still haven't taken the time to sit down and work on the card but I'll get there soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:29 pm 
Noxius

Very cool! I am looking forward to how this turns out!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:15 pm 
Noxius

Let me know your opinions on balance and also the paint job!

If anyone is looking to get an Arena Rex custom card layout for personal use let me know I can share the .ai file I created (as long as the AR folks are okay with that).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm 
Noxius

I like it! The damned rule seems to really balance him out. Personally I would change the laurel icon on the damage tree to a 3 or 4 damage (since he is damned, I think brutal damage fits better than favor) and I would change the "0" icons to 2. That's just me though at a glance. I am just thinking that with damned (which is a great balancing tool) he will score 4 successes on average and that is before subtracting the opponents successes, which means that every success should hit hard. Like i said, just my opinion. Still I love the rules and the paint job!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 pm 
Noxius

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm gonna try him out soon to see what it plays like but i like your ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:59 pm 
Noxius

Played a game with him tonight and I actually think maybe he shouldn't be a beast because he's already very powerful and that wild attack is also very powerful but I'm not sure yet I'll have to have a few more games.