Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: Minotaur!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:19 am 
Viridis

That paintwork is really good! He certainly looks the part for the arena. I like the troll in the background too. :D My only issue is my own OCD. I don't mind alternative models, but I feel like the bases should all be real AR bases for playing AR. Mismatching bases just feels... wrong.

My main concern with the rules is the thing about giving him attack 8. It seems like an extremely homebrew kinda thing to do - to make a model that has stats higher than anything in the real game. Like turning up the dial to 11. Nothing wrong with it in principle, he doesn't seem unbalanced, it's just one of those signals that it's fanfiction rather than real fiction, if you know what I mean. :)

What matters is that you have fun with it and that it makes sense in your games, of course. I think if I wanted to use him in my own games, I would go a slightly different route.

I agree that since he is standing on two legs and wielding a weapon, he doesn't look like a beast. Just a titan. And I would probably give him two stages. Since he is pretty big. I think I would give him more normal stats, like ATK 6 and ARM 2, but some kind of interesting special rule to represent his big chain hammer thing. Like maybe if he does a power attack, all his damage tree boxes do +1 damage. (And then rework his damage tree appropriately, obviously.) He kinda seems like a berserker, so I could see him being good at power attacking.

Just some random brainstorming. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:34 am 
Noxius

Like you said what about removing beast, dropping ATT to 7, losing damned and giving him hated as well as 2 stages of 10 damage? That might necessitate the damage tree changing a bit-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:31 am 
Noxius

I do agree about the base being different is kinda off-putting but I was to excited to try him out I didn't want to wait for a base, and just used one I had for D&D characters. (That troll is one my friend 3D printed to paint like shrek for our campaign. :roll: ) I'll do some re-working of the card with these ideas in mind and post an updated version later this week. Thanks for replying!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:40 pm 
Noxius

Here's the first phase. And for the second phase I want to give him some sort of effect (maybe upon death?) that has to do with the labyrinth. Maybe shifting all models within 3 inches of him to be in base contact with him upon death? (Because he's at the center of the labyrinth).

Let me know your thoughts on the first half.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:54 pm 
Noxius

I was also thinking maybe instead of reach, give him something like deal 1 damage to all other models in his engagement range upon a successful attack. (Like he's swinging it wildly)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm 
Noxius

I really like it! I do agree maybe replacing reach with either the flailing attack you mentioned or something like momentum to reflect less on his weapon and more on the charging gore type attacks he can make, I like the drop in movement as well, feels more lumbering as he should. That being said maybe replacing [reposition] with something like [3dmg] or [fatigue] would fit something this hulking. Just my thoughts. Great job on this guy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:19 pm 
Noxius

The concept of having a Minotaur in the game is awesome! Looks great ... I hope he works out!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:02 pm 
Noxius

Here's what i got.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:59 am 
Viridis

Looks good. Can you explain the Impale ability to me? I'm not sure I get it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:21 pm 
Noxius

I like it! Yeah so with impale is it immediately after the minotaur ends its move? And it does no damage, right?