Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Table generation
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:48 am 
Noxius

Hey guys! New player in Sheffield, UK here, just started the game with a couple of friends. We had our first games today, and we were wondering if there was any kind of scenario generation guidelines which more veteran players tend to follow? It seems very important that the terrain be right for this game, especially as all of my casualties were caused by that bloody great Ludus Magnus wrestler guy Atlas throwing them into the sodding pit! So yeah any tips or experience along those lines is cool.

Post subject: Re: Table generation
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:04 pm 
Viridis

My usual approach is that a normal sized arena works well with 3-5 smallish hazards of different types. Pits are not mandatory, you can totally play without them if you think they are too dramatic.

But if Micon gets to atlas throw all of your guys, something seems a little off maybe. He still needs five successes to get to do it, right? That shouldn't be trivial to achieve, if you put favor into defense and maybe counterattack him once in a while... :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:26 am 
Noxius

Well according to my mate he can start at the bottom of the track and work upwards, hence all of the Atlas Throws! However after investigating the card I'd say the cheeky bugger was having me on, you resolve the successes in reverse order but still apply them from the top.

Thanks for the tip though, much appreciated. We're going to make a few terrain pieces I think so yeah having a few on the board seems legit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:00 am 
Viridis

Yeah, I had a feeling that there was something fishy going on from how you described them. ;)

To be fair, it is a difficult ability to understand. But Reversal just means you can start with the Atlas Throw instead of finishing with it if you get all 5 successes. If you only get 3 successes, you can start at the end of your 3 successes, but your 3 successes will all be pushes, so it doesn't matter what order you do them in.

Hmm... reading the throw ability, it says "place the model within D3 inches of its current position". "Place" is neither a push or a shift, which are the two kinds of placement that the rules cover. Are you supposed to be able to throw a model straight into a hazard I wonder?

Opinion: If the throw is neither a push nor a shift, then I guess getting thrown into a non-lethal hazard will do nothing (since their rules specify that you have to be pushed into them), but getting thrown into a pit will still work (since their rules just talk about being in contact with them). Which actually does feel like it makes sense to me...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:39 pm 
Noxius

We had some more games tonight and I think I'm getting the hang of it a bit more. This time I basically used Ban-Luca and Gaius to hold the line while Aquila whipped around the flank and stabbed people.

Using Ban-Luca to stop other Gladiators in their tracks and then bouncing someone into her for coordinated strike to trigger is something I noticed worked well straight away, but honestly? I'm finding that a lot of the time, especially when they're low on favour, I don't mind them just swinging at her. ARM 3 is nasty and especially when Gaius is healing her up, the damage gets you favour which you can use to make the counter-attack really something!