Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Traveling with Arena Rex
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:28 pm 
Crudus

So... last March when I went to Adepticon I brought pretty much all my Morituri and some Beasts. I packed them in plenty of foam and put them inside a hard cardboard case that fit my backpack... but alas, there were some casualties that had to be repaired.

Now GenCon is around the corner and I need to decide how I will be packing them. What do you guys do to protect your Arena Rex minis while traveling?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:18 am 
Viridis

I tend to do something similar - I put my models in a hard plastic 1 liter ice cream container, and pad it with foam where necessary. But I also get the occasional break, because it is impossible to 100% control that nothing will shift and apply pressure the wrong place during transit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:43 am 
Viridis

In fact, I just opened my container, and I see that Viatrix's foot has gotten a little bent. Damn. These girly arena models are so flimsy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:42 am 
Crudus

While I haven't really had to travel with my AR minis, I put a small magnet on the bottom of the base, and have a box with a piece of metal on the bottom. Minis stay firmly held in place.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:14 am 
Crudus

I magnetize mine as well, no breaks :)

I switched from foam to magnets a few years back and have had no regrets. Storing minis takes up less space, no breaks, no snags on the foam, no rubbing off of paint on sharp edges on the foam (I have lots of metal minis), and my cases are hard cases so when my cats jump on them no breaks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:45 am 
Viridis

I would agree that the magnet thing is definitely the best solution, all things considered. It just requires some effort put into it to set it up. I'm not sure where I would get a box with a metal inner surface for example. I usually bicycle around with my models in my backpack, so it would need to be quite a small box.

But if your models all have magnets in the bases, then you could use a big sheet of metal as your arena surface too. Then your models would never get knocked over during play. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:21 pm 
Crudus

I use a cigar box that I picked up from a liquor store. The metal sheeting is thin and flexible stuff that has adhesive on one side, and can be cut to fit. I got it from a local hardware store, but I know you can buy it online via Amazon or Walmart.

I have a buddy who uses a metal lunch box. It works just as well for a more budget route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:46 am 
Viridis

Hmm, lunch box. I like this thread. It is making me want to try this. :)

I guess magnets on the bottoms of bases would involve some green stuff as padding, because you want the magnet to sit flush against the ground, yeah?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:42 am 
Crudus

Green stuff would probably offer some additional strength to the hold, but super glue alone can work too. The standard AR bases are nice in that they have an indent underneath to place the magnet without any cutting or drilling. (Had to drill magnet holes on the bases of my Infinity minis)

Piece of advice however, make sure you mark which side of your magnet is north and south, so you don't get you magnet attached to find out your mini now repels the bottom sheet rather than stick to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:45 am 
Crudus

Very good ideas from everyone. I put magnets in my bases, but there's such a delicate balance between to little attraction (still comes loose if shaken too hard) and too much attraction (have to pull from the bases lest I rip off an arm or weapon pulling the mini off).
Maybe I'll rig up a hybrid system where they are magnetized, but still have some thin foam between them in case something comes loose in transport.
I'll play around with some ideas.