Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:53 am 
Viridis

I never put magnets in my bases before, but I bought a sturdy metal lunchbox and I'm starting now. I need to wait for another magnet shipment before I can do them all though. And my magnets are only 1mm thick, which is why I felt like I needed some green stuff to attach the magnets to the bottom of the base with.

I can definitely see it being important to remember to not grab models from the box by their arm or weapon or anything, lest that part comes off and the model stays. But I would just consider that safe handling of models. Torso grabbing only.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:15 pm 
Viridis

I like photographic documentation, so.

Here is a 4mm x 1mm disc magnet stuck underneath an AR base with green stuff.

Here is the box I bought.

And the magnets seem to work well. They seem plenty strong and like no amount of shaking will get them loose. So I think I will use some weaker magnets for the very flimsy models standing on one leg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:04 am 
Viridis

Now I have magnetised most of my models for box storage. I find that the main issue is that to get models loose from the box, you have to grab them a lot harder than I am used to. Even without grabbing arms or weapons, you can end up squeezing parts that weren't meant to be. The concrete example is that I broke Ur-Keks pointy beard because it sticks out and I was grabbing him by the torso and hit it.

Grabbing by the base only works well, but that can be really hard to do if the box is full of models.

I'm definitely wary of the one foot dancing models like Zahra, Viatrix and Hroka. I have to try and never grab them by the body, otherwise there is a real risk I will rip them loose from the base.

So this solution seems good and practical in many ways, but with its own unique hazard built in. The models are much less likely to be damaged in transit, but more likely to be damaged by myself by accident.

Medusa is an example of a model who fares really well from this. She is stuck solidly to her base, but she carries a flimsy spear. As long as I don't touch her spear while grabbing her, she should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 am 
Crudus

That looks great, I love the choice of box.

Something that might help to get the models off a bit easier I would think, would be to place a small tab of paper under the base, between the magnet and the metal surface. Then, when you go to pick up the mini, you pull up on the tab of paper as well for some additional leverage? I can see that being a bit tedious, but it might be useful for any particularly strong magnets.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:19 am 
Viridis

Not a bad idea, thank you. I was considering that one option of making the magnet grip a little weaker if I need to is to insert some cardboard or something between the magnet and the box floor. We'll see. Many options.

The box I got won't fit all my models, I can tell, so I got a second smaller box.

I'm also thinking that I won't bother putting magnets into all the big monsters like Sereqet. I already did for Proximo, but there is no need really. Nothing on them is likely to break I think so I can just store them normally. Maybe. We'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:49 am 
Viridis

So my 16 ludus gladiators plus two horses fit well in the big box, with room for an extra few gladiators (got Anum on order and looking forward to Tribune). The gorgons fit well into the smaller box. That's almost my collection.

I figured out that putting the one foot dancing girls on the side instead of the bottom of the box makes it much easier to grab them by the base instead of by the body (hmm... there's almost a Trump joke in there somewhere).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:43 pm 
Crudus

Hmmm. I like the look of that... I think a metal container with some foam inside might be the way I go. I'll post some pics as soon as I put something together.

One week until GenCon!!