Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:53 pm 
Noxius

Last night I picked up Euryale at my LGS (used to love Naga for L5R, so I couldn't resist a Naga model) and was thinking about getting some more models. What do the different Ludus play like? Is there one that likes to take Gorgons? Also, because she is a two stage Titan, she counts as 2/5 of my models correct?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:27 am 
Viridis

I saw your post on reddit, but always good to spread out for more input. :)

Yep, if you are playing a 5-model game, Euryale will count as 2/5.

You got some comments on what the general idea behind the ludi are on reddit. However, I think the important point is that you don't have to pick a ludus. You can buy any and all models that you think look cool and play them together. Team composition rules in this game are totally freeform. Sticking to one ludus gives you some special rules, but it is not required.

Brainstorming ideas... if I wanted to build something around Euryale, I think I would pick Anum and a titanic beast as the rest of a 5-model cohort. Probably Nero. Or maybe Proximo. That would give you two titans of two cards each and one Morituri gladiator. You could then select the Morituri ludus benefits card, since 100% of your gladiators would be Morituri. Anum could run around with Nero, since the beast will never wild attack him, and Euryale could run around by herself. Anum can make Nero attack on clear turns using Cleopatra's gift. And all three of them would benefit from Will of Antony.

Mysterious Egyptians also seems like the best conceptual fit for a naga monstrosity. I just can't see it looking harmonious if she hung around with Celtic legionnaires or Norse indians.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:46 am 
Noxius

Wishing wrote:
Mysterious Egyptians also seems like the best conceptual fit for a naga monstrosity. I just can't see it looking harmonious if she hung around with Celtic legionnaires or Norse indians.

Since she's not a Beast Anum doesn't directly benefit her (not that that should stop you from taking him) but I do agree that a Naga goes best thematically with Morituri. She also really really wants to power attack in her second form (not only due to Hot Blooded, but also because her damage improves quite a bit deeper in the tree) so getting to clear that completely is really helpful. Euryale's biggest weakness is survivability, so it might not hurt to include something to buff that up. She might really benefit from Khepros or Ur-Kek to help protect her.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:14 pm 
Viridis

Indeed, Anum can't make Euryale frenzy, but he could do it to a beast if he brought one.

My main thought in that regard was that taking a two stage model would make for a cohort of three models, making Euryale one of three. If you don't take a two stage model, Euryale would be one of four, making her percentage in terms of numbers of models less. :)

If you took three Morituri gladiators and Euryale, it would just be adding her to a Morituri cohort. But if you took two unaligned models - Euryale and another titan - and one Morituri gladiator, it would feel mainly like a titan cohort, with a Morituri guest. In my logic. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 pm 
Noxius

Euryale has absolutely no problem standing out in a crowd from what I've seen. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:43 am 
Viridis

Is that a joke about her height? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:29 am 
Noxius

Why yes, yes it is. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:18 pm 
Noxius

Thanks, I picked up the Morituri starter and the scorpion as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:38 pm 
Crudus

The morituri is an interesting choice to mix with Euryale. I have limited experience with morituri, but they seem like the ludus that "doesn't play nice with others", since half of their gig is triggering those skull effects, of which Euryale has none, so that's two stages of not having a [skull] . But, one of the things I like about this game is that I'm always surprised to see how certain combos mix and how being unconventional can end up working well. I'm looking forward to seeing how she works out, from the perspective of someone who keeps his ludii pure, with the exception of a Wendigo that's coming my way.

I can see Euryale adding some nice heavy hitting and map pressure, and thematically, she does fit with morituri the best.

As for your question about different ludii taking gorgons, it depends on the gorgon. The three are very different from each other in terms of the role and function they serve as part of a team. One of my buddies has claimed, and I agree, that Medusa would work quite well for the legio. When she gets in nice and close, she can use ichor to heal, stacking with the heal from Gaius Pallidus, giving you a ghastly regeneration comp. Personally, for Euryale, I think she would work great with Legio XIII as well. With her being a titan, she can move through units and get behind your enemy, then trap them between her and your other Legio gladiators, triggering coordinated strike and keeping them in range of her constrict.

I'm sure there are other combinations that work well, and probably better, but that's what comes to mind.