Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Forum future
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:16 am 
Viridis

Was just reading another forum for a game I enjoy, and discovered that the company is wanting to get rid of the concept of a "general discussion forum" for their game, wanting to push discussion towards social media like Twitter instead. And someone posted in response:

"I have no idea what [company] is going to do, but hosting your own forums is pretty much a thing of the past and I wouldn't blame them at all for limiting these forums and moving to social media."

This obviously made me worry about the future of our little Arena Rex forum here too.

I get that discussions on social media are more accessible to a wider number of people, and thus function more like advertising for the game. Which is a good thing. But I just love forums. I love that I can start my own little thread, and post in it once in a while, and it will still be there years from now, when I can follow the history of the thread and its comments over time. I find this very rewarding. And you don't get that on social media, as far as I can tell. Facebook discussion seems so temporary and has no organisation, subforums, project logs, and so on.

But are forums a relic of the past? Thoughts appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Forum future
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:22 am 
Noxius

I hope they aren't relics.

Like you, I rather enjoy them. It's so much easier to organize all the data here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:55 am 
Crudus

I enjoy the forum format as well and definitely prefer it to social media discussions. Although I do think this forum in particular could use with a little streamlining. For instance, I don't think we need all the Rules subcategories and it makes it a little hard to find posts. Minor quibble though for the enjoyment and benefit I get from the forums here.

The Arena Rex Facebook pages aren't very active, maybe linking to and highlighting some of the convos that are had here could serve the marketing purpose and spark more discussion.

I definitely hope they don't get rid of this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:28 am 
Viridis

Completely agreed on the rules forum subforums madness. But yeah, forums are still great. ☺

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:27 am 
Viridis

The circumstances currently seem to be that someone, Chelsie maybe?, is reasonably active on Facebook, and so if we want to ask RRG something, the best way to do it right now is to message them directly on FB or email I guess.

Walker used to answer questions in the rules forum semi-regularly, but it seems like it has been a while since he has done so. And there is another RRG employee who has been active on Reddit, giving us hints of future releases there, at least in the past.

So if RRG and Arena Rex have three main channels for public interaction, and these are the forum, Facebook, and Reddit, then right now FB seems to be the one that is mainly used by RRG to communicate with us. I wish it would be the forum more. :( I can live with Reddit too, but I really don't like Facebook.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:40 am 
Noxius

Meh, as I see things I gotta know I'll ask on FB and post back. Hopefully reprints and a future FAQ will make it less required.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:34 pm 
Viridis

Yeah. I know we have a bunch of unanswered questions that have been asked in the rules forum, maybe I should see if I could compile some of them so we could ask them on facebook... I think Ridiqles would be great at that too, he seems to have a great memory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:39 pm 
Crudus

I will start compiling some questions as well. I'll be up at Adepticon and will ask stuff in person too... maybe I can record the session and post it here after hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:07 am 
Viridis

I just had a quick look through the first page of the rules forum and came up with the following. Most of the questions we have reached a community consensus about that the "official" answer most likely is, which I have listed too, but the questions all have in common that they don't have an officially forum posted answer from RRG yet, which I personally would like to have, so we can make an official FAQ and not one based on word of mouth.

Tactics while mounted: Does a mounted gladiator+beast duo still count as a gladiator for the purposes of movement (Maneuver) or fatigue (Rouse) abilities that only gladiators can use?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38416
Community consensus so far: Yes, they probably do. But some people seem to want to house rule that pairs cannot Maneuver together, because it seems too strong.

Targeting and range: Can you legally declare an attack against a model that is not within your engagement range, and trigger e.g. Pounce from doing so?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35152
Community consensus so far: Yes, you probably can.

Exactly vs. Within: Is a model pushed exactly 1" away from an attacker still in engagement range?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38483
Community consensus so far: No idea yet, but my guess is yes.

"Net" success: Does an Ambush attack success trigger the extra successes and pushes that you would gain during a normal attack?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38329
Community consensus so far: Yes, it probably does.

To be Noxius: Is Noxius supposed to count as member of a ludus during the game? The rules say one thing, but we have an email from RRG saying the opposite.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35739
Community consensus so far: The rules are probably right, so no.

Ending the tree: Does Hermes have a shortcut to Flourish or not? We have an email from RRG suggesting that he doesn't, but would be nice to have it in public too.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35739
Community consensus so far: Seems like neither the fans nor RRG like the shortcut idea, I'm the only one that does, so probably not.

And also, How does Dextarius displace? - but We know that a correction to this is on its way. I hope it will be posted as errata in the forum somehow. Since there is a specific rules forum for errata.

Edit: However, we also have Walker promising an errata for Berserk in September 2016, which I haven't seen anywhere yet (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34611). Maybe we could be waiting for a while. Facebook? :)

Last edited by Wishing on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:17 am 
Viridis

And I guess you could also add...

Clear Turns and LMS: Is it really intended that a Last Man Standing model activation can be taken at any time during the clear turn, inserting itself in between any of the other normal clear turn activities?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38443
Community consensus: That seems to be what the rules say, but several people have expressed that they don't think this works well, and would prefer it if the model activation was the last thing to happen during a LMS turn.

And I love the recording idea. Bring a recording device and make it an official interview. I sense a podcast in the making. :)