Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Three-player scenarios
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:42 am 
Viridis

I think I might be in a situation where I can get two of my friends to play with me, so I was thinking that rather than play them separately, it would be great to play them together in a three-player game.

Others have commented before that this works well, but as I recall, all the scenarios in the rulebook are for two players only. And just playing a total free for all with three players tends to mean that the best way to victory is to fight as little as possible, and wait until you can deliver the killing blow at the end, which is a kinda boring way to play.

So I was thinking of using some kind of simple scenario, like...

Premise: The scenario has two possible victory conditions.
Victory condition one: Place a dueling ring in the middle of the arena. Whenever a cohort starts a clear turn and they are the only cohort that has any combatants in the dueling ring, that cohort scores a Glory point. If any cohort gets to two Glory points, that cohort immediately wins.
Victory condition two: If the above win condition is not met until all three cohorts only has one or fewer combatants left, then the game ends, and the winner of the scenario is the cohort that has defeated the most enemy combatants during the game.

Does this make sense? The second victory condition doesn't have to be there, but I like rewarding aggression, and so I like the idea of being able to win even if you are wiped out, if you have defeated enough opposing combatants.

And I have a bunch of red and white poker chips that I use for playing Shadowfist - they would work well for using the red ones to track enemies defeated, and white ones to track Glory points.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:59 pm 
Noxius

King of the Mountain is a great way to keep all 3 ludi in on the action!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:29 pm 
Viridis

Is that what that's called? It makes sense, right?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:57 pm 
Viridis

Well, I just played a game which wasn't three players, just two, but we ended up using the king of the hill idea anyway.

My friend suggested that we play the duellum scenario, but modified with the rule that if one player can start their turn with one gladiator in the duel zone, and no opponents in it, then they automatically win.

It was actually really fun, and both the games we played were won by clever use of the scenario condition. Which all boils down to being smart about activations and movement, so you aren't accidentally locked out from being able to move into the zone at the wrong time.

I could see this being the standard scenario for us from now on, it was that much fun. And the principle should work for three player too, with some minor changes.

(I lost both games, but had a wonderful time, so that's a good sign at least. )