Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Ludus Numbers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:13 pm 
Viridis

Looking at the AR webstore, a quick analysis tells me that of the current gladiators in the game, 9 are Ludus Magnus, 8 are Legio, 7 are Morituri, and 6 are Zephyri.

I am wondering if this is intentional? As in... that their numbers are based on how commonly seen in the arena the ludi are? So the biggest and most common ludus is the LM, and the smallest and rarest ludus is the Zephyri, and that is why there are fewer Zephyri gladiators than LM gladiators available to us?

And is it cool that the ludi are not equally numerous, or would you be happier if they all had about the same number of gladiators to represent them?

Post subject: Re: Ludus Numbers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:56 pm 
Crudus

LM has the special edition, Lupa, as well. So there are 10 really.

It doesn't bother me that they are all different numbers but I would like to see one or two more Zephyri. I've taken quite a liking to them lately, so a little more variety in that group would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:22 pm 
Crudus

The number disparity doesn't matter too much to me. I too would like to see some more Zephyri (as a Zephyri main), as well as some Morituri, as it seems like you really only need to decide one thing as a Morituri player, which is, "do I take Khepros or Mago?"
I'm cool with LM having more gladiators for the aforementioned reasons, but also because each one gets to specialize in an element of AR: Micon is the best pusher, Infelix gets crazy damage, Iaison effortlessly jumps around and defends with the best of them, and Hermes has arguably one of the best damage trees (but the faction is still surprisingly balanced)

If they were to add any gladiators though, I'd just want to make sure they keep up diversity and add to the flavor. Like, if they made another Zephyri, we wouldn't really need another "runs around and goes berserk" type of character, as we get that with Vargr and Sven. Fitting with the "going nanners" theme though, I think it would be cool if there was a Zephyri who had shitty base stats, but got bonuses when they were engaged with more than one person, so they thrive on being in the middle of the action and causing a ruckus. Or, they could just do that and gain favor for being engaged with multiple models (since my Zephy babies really, really need the favor).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:54 pm 
Noxius

GonzoGarbanzo wrote:
...as well as some Morituri, as it seems like you really only need to decide one thing as a Morituri player, which is, "do I take Khepros or Mago?"

I'm pretty new and chose Morituri.

Could you elaborate please?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:53 pm 
Crudus

TL;DR - little diversity, high percentage current models are too powerful to pass up.

I don't play Morituri, so take this with a grain of salt, but what I mean is that the Morituri have a small pool of characters to pick from, and several are powerful enough that you don't want to go without them. Zahra is incredibly powerful, as are Tiet-Khebi and Thoth, with Ur-Kek providing some needed bulkiness. Most people who take Anum do so into a beast pack don't just use him as a gladiator in his own right, so you're not left with a whole lot of meaningful choice in your remaining champions. This isn't me saying the Morituri are bad, I'd just like to see more diversity from them specifically.

This is just my impression though, so I'd love for a seasoned Moriturian to weigh in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:16 am 
Viridis

Good point about Lupa. I kinda like the waterfall model of there being an order to the ludi of how numerous they are, as the situation is just now.

I like to imagine that when they introduce the Hellenic League, that they will start with 5 gladiators, and fit right in sequence. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:08 am 
Noxius

GonzoGarbanzo wrote:
TL;DR - little diversity, high percentage current models are too powerful to pass up.

Ah, ok. I understand now.

The idea was foreign to me because I have been running beasts in my cohort along with gladiators. But then, I haven't played more than 3 man teams yet either. So that makes more sense now.

But I'll probably continue to use 1-2 beasts in my cohorts. They're the biggest reason I picked up the game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:46 am 
Noxius

Speaking of Ludus numbers in a slightly different way...

What do you feel is actually a good balanced cohort size?
Book sort of outlines it as 3, 5, and 8 but I suppose they are put out there as "suggestions".

How much different do things get if you do 6 instead of 5...4 instead of 3 and so on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:56 pm 
Crudus

I tend to think 5-6 is a good game size. I find 3v3s to be a bit bland, and while I've never played a LARGE game, I can't imagine a game beyond 6 stages being anything other than a mess.

Typically though, when I imagine my team comps, I'm imagining 5v5s. It's a solid size in my book.