Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:09 pm 
Noxius

I get from her the most overt "Atlantean" vibe. Less os that either Norse or Native American

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:57 pm 
Noxius

She looks like an owl to me, which is very not Norse. I could make an argument for a Valkyrie look if I really wanted to push it, but overall I think her skin tone is the way it is for the same reason Frigge's is so fair.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:18 pm 
Viridis

I agree that Leika just looks... peculiar. Not really any specific culture. My closest association is that her horns make her look a bit savage and feral, which makes sense for Zephyri.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:40 pm 
Crudus

I agree, Leika has a wildness about her that certainly fits the Zephyri look more than the other schools. I had never considered her looking like an Owl before, but now, that is the first image that comes to mind, haha. Something about those goggle eyes, just "different". Owls are certainly not known for being Norse, they are much more Hellenic. I am guessing "Atlantean" is probably the most accurate, but then that brings up even more confusion for me, as it was my understanding that Atlantean was a reference to North America, based on hints from Bjarrhvit's background and the inclusion of Native Americans.

Any idea on how long we can expect to wait for more information on her, such as her character bio?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:21 pm 
Crudus

It may be a while. Couple months at least.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:56 pm 
Crudus

Card bio doesn't give a lot of clues other than she might be some sort of courtesan... so it might be a masquerade ball mask type of thing she is wearing.

Attachments:
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2521.JPG [ 137.87 KiB | Viewed 5697 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:37 pm 
Crudus

I'm glad I was wrong - RidiQles to the rescue!

And I'm loving this description. Definitely a shit starter, Leika is. She could be a courtesan, she could also be a noble - people coming to win her heart and she goes full Princess Merida on them, but even more extreme. Or maybe she's just a regular old gal at the bar, but means it when she says "fight me IRL", which is all the time.

I like the idea of her mask being a masquerade ball piece. It's also interesting that the mask only covers her eyes, whereas most of the other gladiators, if they have a headpiece, it usually covers their face. She has these big, black, soulless unblinking spider eyes. I think it fits with her sadist streak, and .... ENSNARE

Leika is officially a spider.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:35 am 
Viridis

I can totally dig that spider vibe. She will definitely go on my wish list when she becomes available. Her creepiness is cool.

I played my first three-player game last night, which took a long time but was really fun. And what I mostly found was that I was jealous of the Zephyri player. I played Legio, and their ludus benefits just aren't interesting to me. I never used either of them. Whereas the Zephyri benefits are much more interesting and potentially useful. I love that you can berserk/brave and then transfer the damage away.

And ambush is a really cool option to have up your sleeve. Ur-keks Gift gives him a full attack on a clear turn, which is cool, but costs 2 favor - ambush only costs 1, and can't fail, and works for all of your models. And if he can ambush an exhausted enemy, Hagal can do 6 damage automatically with his ambush attack... that's just nasty.

To be fair, I probably need to focus on actually thinking about the Legio benefits while playing... maybe Echelon would have been useful but I just didn't think of it when I was moving my models around.

Also, Hroka and Caho-Ta are awesome. That super speed combined with awesome hitting power (Precise rocks) is tremendous.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:10 am 
Noxius

Hroka is pretty above the board in any category you want to talk about. The only thing she's even mildly lacking is a significant push game. :?

Zephyri's bonuses probably could use a bit more bounding. The 1 net success is limiting but I've never really considered how it interacts with bonus successes. It also mildly worries me that the Morturi stuff isn't restricted to their own models (the [skull] one obviously is) but they definitely pay for theme in their stats.

Legio's benefits are cool, but they could be a lot cooler. I know why the displacement only works when you use it during activation, but its a significant drawback. It's still very very powerful, just fairly easy to replicate elsewhere with a Titan. I also feel like Maniple would see a lot more use if it was only 1 Favor or if the Reposition allowed fatigue to clear. I feel like if you could use it to pull models out of exhausted quickly it would be a lot more worthwhile.

Magnus has solid benefits for sure, but they're odd in that they're very passive and more about enabling a playstyle. It's very much a "takes Favor to make Favor" kind of thing and until you see someone regularly spending extra Favor and using Flourish to recoup overspending it doesn't seem that worthwhile. It is very powerful though.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:42 am 
Crudus

Hroka is a great model. She's not an auto-include for me, but I take her if I need a good scrapper, and her power attacks are beast.

Zephyri bonuses are actually great, in my opinion. Brave and Blood Brothers are pretty powerful when used correctly. Ambush is good against exhausted models, but that's about it, but if you can ambush and push into a friendly model, holy shit you're golden.

The Morituri have what I think are the best benefits in the game. Just being able to clear exhaustion on a clear turn is amazing by itself. When you include beasts, holy shit. Add to that the ability to pull off a bunch of effects that your opponent can't react to...damn.

Legio benefits don't seem like a lot, but they're game-changing. They actually result in allowing the Legio to be pretty solid throughout without a lot of drawbacks. Their stats are great, both damage and defense, and they can get out of danger more easily than most others. However, they are prone to bing pushed (only Gaius has a base larger than 30mm), and their vitality tends to be on the lower side.

Magnus benefits are damn good for that favor recycling, they do, allowing you to get more successes. However, their clear turns tend to be lackluster. Rouse. Woooooo.

Also adding to Leika being a spider - in nature, when a male spider comes up and tries to woo a female, there's a significant chance she'll just eat him.
:lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next