Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:54 am 
Noxius

Greetings!

New to Arena Rex and I have noticed the forum is pretty quiet in general. Figured I could try and spark some discussion.

What is your favourite Ludi (when not totally mixing), and favourite models to take in your 5 man cohort?

When you pick members do you just use the "rule of cool" or try to find synergies or models who seemingly work together?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:50 am 
Viridis

Your attempt has failed! :P

Sometimes there is more chat here than at other times. If we get a handful of posts per week though, that's alright I think.

I think your question is a good one, but I haven't played enough myself to give much of an answer. I can say that I built the cohorts I have collected based 100% on how cool I think the models look. And that when playing in the future, my intention is to try and get my participant players to do a drafting thing, where rather than the cohorts being pre-built from the beginning, the players assemble fresh new cohorts from a limited pool of models before the start of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:27 am 
Noxius

Wishing wrote:
Your attempt has failed! :P

Sometimes there is more chat here than at other times. If we get a handful of posts per week though, that's alright I think.

I think your question is a good one, but I haven't played enough myself to give much of an answer. I can say that I built the cohorts I have collected based 100% on how cool I think the models look. And that when playing in the future, my intention is to try and get my participant players to do a drafting thing, where rather than the cohorts being pre-built from the beginning, the players assemble fresh new cohorts from a limited pool of models before the start of the game.

Haha, no harm in trying. Maybe over time it will fill out :lol:

I've only gotten a handful of games under my belt as well but so far I am really enjoying the system and the models.

I love your draft idea. Funny enough, before ever coming to the forum I had brought up a draft type format to the group of people I play with. I think it will/would be an amazing and interesting way to play the game.

Currently when building a cohort I mostly just go for who I like the look of. I am also limited in only having Ludus Magnus and one or two people from Morituri and Legio.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:05 am 
Viridis

I started a thread about the draft idea before which has some cool ideas: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35671

My situation is that the friends I play miniature games with mostly aren't painters/collectors themselves, but I'm a big fan of collecting, so everyone just plays with my models. So it works out kinda as though the game is a boardgame, since my friends don't have to buy their own models in order to play (as long as they are happy just to play with me when I bring my stuff).

I really like having variety in my collection, so rather than having lots of a single ludus, I spread out and have a few models from every ludus. With the last order I got, I have 4 gladiators from LM and Morituri, 3 gladiators from Legio and Zephyri, the three gorgons, and a handful of beasts. A good spread, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:33 am 
Crudus

I base most of my decisions for models on their appearance, and sometimes their story; as a slap in the face to critical thinking, I find a model I like, THEN justify why I should include them :P

As for my factions, I have the most fun with Zephyri; they're fairly tricky to use, I'm finding out, but very satisfying when done correctly, which is something I'm just now figuring out.

I also have Ludus Magnus because how could I play a game with gladiators and not go with the straight-up Roman gladiators? The models look great, and they're a solid faction.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:05 am 
Noxius

I like running monsters. I grabbed Anum and then a few beasts. My only problem is that a lot of the cool ones, Acerbus; Proximo; Nero, are all two card dudes. So for one card monsters, I'm limited to Leo and Sereqet (both are great) unless I wanna run a couple horses. :(

I'm really looking forward to Atrox (the tiger) and I really hope it's a 1 card model.

Since I grabbed Anum first, I also got the Morituri as I like the look.

Like Chab, I've never played a five card game. I've heard it changes things up a bit though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:00 pm 
Viridis

Reece wrote:
So for one card monsters, I'm limited to Leo and Sereqet (both are great) unless I wanna run a couple horses. :(

Yay horses! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:56 pm 
Noxius

As nice as the horses look I dont imagine I will ever take them without a rider. I mean how can I when things like a giant scorpion, or gorgons exist?!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:52 pm 
Viridis

I know, I find it really funny to think of horses as "dangerous beasts" the same way as the bull or the rhino, but they are all mundane and herbivorous animals, so why not? I like it, and could totally see myself running them as riderless beasts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:41 pm 
Crudus

Once Atrox comes out I'll be able to reenact one of my favorite paintings by Delacroix.

And to get back on thread:

I am mostly a Morituri player, but have been playing a bit of Zephyri lately. I like the one-two punch of Caho-Ta and Hroka. Caho-Ta's mobility and ability to go through small base models makes them able to reach any weakened target pretty much. I then tend to throw in a favor die or two on Caho-Ta's attack since it is automatically turned into a Power attack for free. Then Hroka's attack can usually cause some additional pain... and I can exhaust her for a second attack if it will driver a killing blow.
I also like carrying Bjarrvhit and throwing her in the middle of the battle to use her trapper skill to minimize reactions.
Finally, I round out my 5 with Vargr for some guerilla tactics with a 7inch Intercept range and Frigge to provide some defense support with Intervene when Vargr leaves himself exposed after an attack.

Attachments:
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG [ 80.56 KiB | Viewed 6756 times ]