Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:18 pm 
Crudus

A few things to respond to & ask here:

1) Magnus: Jumping on the Viatrix love train. She is great, great, really fucking great. Another model that doesn't seem like much on paper, but she has so much impact. Using movement reactions to be like "not today, fucker!" is so valuable. Not to mention her defense stats are superb, and is in the category of "favor fountain".
-I've been considering using Septimus (sans Nero), and it sounds like he's a solid choice. I've also heard that he really isn't all that spectacular. However, I like how he can choose to be a good pusher or damage dealer.
-Currently, I have Urbicus in my Magnus cohort, and h's kind of bleh. His abilities make him good for using the "rouse" tactic, but not much else.

2) Beasts: I'm undecided on how I feel about the beasts. They have some pretty clear weaknesses, such as becoming exhausted when you defeat one stage, and in the case of Acerbus, being forced to take a second stage that isn't all that great. There are some tradeoffs to be made, but they're also powerhouses. Like a double-edged sword.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:35 pm 
Noxius

I did the same thing with Viatrix, "nothing special in her card...seems a bit meh" but all of her strengths lie in her stats. A 3/2 becoming a 6/2 with the aid of Iason is awesome, and like you said a simple move reaction can bone someone's plan of attack with taunt.

I also like septimus for the exact reasons you said. If I need to bang out some damage...he is there. If I need to push someone around regardless of base size...he is there.

I ran a silly comp using Mago, Marcus, and Micon against a Zeph cohort. Having them go into exhaustion when trying to run away is pretty hilarious.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:50 pm 
Crudus

Chabbernackle wrote:
I ran a silly comp using Mago, Marcus, and Micon against a Zeph cohort. Having them go into exhaustion when trying to run away is pretty hilarious.

That actually brings up a rules point I want to make about disengage, but I won't clutter the forum with it here.
On that note though, I'm surprised the Zeph player didn't just stay there and try to take out your models. It sounds like they played right into your hand.

Glad to hear good notes about Septimus. Although, I'll probably just use Ywain as a proxy.
I thought having Ywain, Viatrix, Otho, and Hermes in a cohort would make for a team that's just a pain in the ass to attack, but long story short, Ywain really needs to be with his Legio.

Anyone have any good stories with Gladiator mixing, like the one above? More interested in 5v5+ size matches.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:59 pm 
Noxius

GonzoGarbanzo wrote:
Chabbernackle wrote:

That actually brings up a rules point I want to make about disengage, but I won't clutter the forum with it here.
On that note though, I'm surprised the Zeph player didn't just stay there and try to take out your models. It sounds like they played right into your hand.

Glad to hear good notes about Septimus. Although, I'll probably just use Ywain as a proxy.
I thought having Ywain, Viatrix, Otho, and Hermes in a cohort would make for a team that's just a pain in the ass to attack, but long story short, Ywain really needs to be with his Legio.

Anyone have any good stories with Gladiator mixing, like the one above? More interested in 5v5+ size matches.

What about Ywain makes you say he wants to be with Legio? Curious because I've been wanting to use him with my Ludus Magnus cohort.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:51 pm 
Crudus

Chabbernackle wrote:
What about Ywain makes you say he wants to be with Legio? Curious because I've been wanting to use him with my Ludus Magnus cohort.

Primarily, he's meant to be used with Valen. Valen has "reverse taunt", where you can't attack him if you're also engaged with another enemy model. So, you're forced to attack Ywain, who then he uses redoubt. Also, with the maniple and whatnot from the Legio, you're always able to rotate Ywain to your frontline. Without being forced to attack Ywain, you rarely have opportunity to make him the wall he was meant to be, leaving him just sort of there. If you're going to react to an attack, I think counterattacking is just better anyway.

It's a shame, since Ywain is such a beautiful model. I could just be using him wrong, but at the very least, I can proxy him for Septimus or Iaison.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:43 am 
Noxius

Makes sense, thanks for the insight!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:32 am 
Noxius

GonzoGarbanzo wrote:
A few things to respond to & ask here:

1) Magnus: Jumping on the Viatrix love train.

Welcome to the light! Haha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:07 pm 
Viridis

I'm riding on the train. There's a reason I chose her as my avatar. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:14 pm 
Crudus

I now feel inspired to write rules for a game mode called "Viatrix's love train".
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe something where she's a neutral character/living hazard, but never gets fatigued, acts after every player's turn, always counter attacks, and mirrors any favor you add to your rolls. First team to take her out wins.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:06 am 
Viridis

Loving the special Viatrix scenario idea. :D

I also want to thank Chabbernacle and Reece for being newcomers to the forum and helping to generate more discussion and fun here. When I look down over the forum threads here in general discussion, I was the last poster on a long string of threads, and it felt very slow here. But now you guys have showed up, it feels much more active and interesting.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next