Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:15 am 
Noxius

Glad to be of service. ;)

I may have some more insight on things next week. We plan to get a few games in tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:46 am 
Noxius

Should be some good games. We are also going to try the whole blind draft mode as well with some others that have started playing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:58 am 
Crudus

I too am grateful for the spike in activity. It's fun :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:16 pm 
Noxius

So we did some 5v5 games and a single 3v3v3 using a blind draft format.

For the blind draft we made 3 separate stacks of cards. After you pick you pass the deck. If you grab a 2 stage miniature you were obligated to get the second stage at some point during your drawing. I ended up getting Hermes, Frigge, and Viatrix which worked out well enough.

5v5 game we tried to make it quick. I took Hermes, Valen, Septimus, and Nero. WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA!

I was against Amun, Proximo, and Acerbus.

Game was definitely quick.

I neglected to go after amun and lost a horrible damage race against the two monsters. Some strong dice rocked septimus and Nero taking them out early. It was pretty much a wrap after that.

I want to keep using Nero and Septimus for a while so I can learn the pair. My next cohort will be Wendigo, Iason, Septimus, and Nero.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:32 pm 
Viridis

Sounds interesting and awesome! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on Septimus and Nero.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:20 pm 
Noxius

So I got to play a few games. In the 3v3v3 draft, nothing remarkable happened. I just picked some high def gladiators and went from there.

In my first 5v5, I went with Zahra, Sereqet, Thoth, Tiet Khebi, and Ur Kek. The star was easily the mounted Combo. Zahra can pull guys in if Sereqet isn't in range OR she can go second and get a reposition for the pair. They ended up doing a lot of work. I didn't get Thoth involved soon enough though since Sereqet was able to activate over and over due to second wind and repositions.

The last 5v5, I decided to run Anum, Proximo, and Acerbus as Beastia. As you saw in Chab's post, it went well for me. I love three Acerbus model but I don't think I got the most out of him. I know folks generally say Mori benefits are better than Beastia, but I'm not convinced. Alpha is really strong. You can get a lot of back to back actions with one of your monsters. Mori benefits are only during a clear turn.

I considered moving that last part to the Beastia conversation, but five dudes on the forum will read it here. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:58 am 
Noxius

Looking at it more I think comparing the Morituri benefits to the Beastia ultimately comes down to ones play style.
Each one has its own strengths and weaknesses that can be exploited or used to get a leg up. For example, Reece played very conservative with his beasts, never running them hot. Alpha is an amazing skill. Letting you react with beasts during an opponents move, only to have amun use alpha to make the beast attack constantly makes you have to second guess all the different attack vectors the beast cohort can pull off.

Now if you like to run your beasts hot and force clear turns as fast as possible I think Mori benefits are the way to go. You just need to be super aware of your positioning to prevent friendly wild attacks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:47 am 
Viridis

When it comes to cohorts and composition, I still don't have much experience, but my friend showed me one of Zahra's cool tricks last night - that if she maxes out her damage tree, she can pull an opponent towards her 2 inches, then repostition around them anywhere she wants, and then push them in any direction for the last 2 inches. Which is a crazy amount of extended direction control to be able to have.

So I was just going to write that maybe she would work well with the Legio gladiators that have Coordinated Strike. But just as I am writing that, it hits me - their bonus is that Zahra would get extra damage tree results, but that wouldn't actually help her if she has maxed out her damage tree already. Then it would just be extra wasted successes.

So nevermind me. :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:25 pm 
Noxius

I am a big fan of using Otho and Hermes as a duo. Counter attacking and assisting with Otho while preventing any attack on Hermes while he attacks and generates a boat load of favor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:37 am 
Noxius

With 3" reach, what she can do instead is stand behind the Legio line and pull a model into a Coordinated Strike to generate the successes to push them away after the reposition. Might be hard to pull off reliably, but it seems reasonably powerful, particularly against an exhausted opponent.

On the subject of Viatrix; she's among the hardest to kill models in the game, in a tier with Gaius, Ban-Luca, Otho, Urbicus, Serequet and Acerbus's first Stage. Of them, she and Acerbus are the only ones that are Speed 6 and she's the only one that's Def 3. She definitely makes excellent use of Taunt. She does pay for it offensively though, with very average damage that dips below average at several points and not a lot of pushes. Probably more of a reaction piece overall.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next