Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:02 pm 
Viridis

The Legio benefits seem hard to quantify though. Maniple seems quite situational, letting you move all your gladiators 3" instead of two models their full movement for the same cost. It lets them stick together in a clump more, and Echelon allows them to not get in each others' way, but... I would say it seems like a "quality of life" kind of upgrade, where it makes some things easier probably, but it doesn't do anything spectacular on its own.

Would love to hear stories of situations where the Legio benefits made some sort of big impact on a game. For inspiration.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:38 pm 
Noxius

It's very hard to use. I honestly need to buckle down and start taking Legio exclusive lists so I can focus on abusing it. Things I will say:

- Triangles are super powerful. They can't realistically be pushed and the rule lets you generate them with no real effort or drawbacks.

- Slower speeds aren't nearly so bad when you never have to walk around your own models.

- Along those lines; there's a lot of opportunity to use models like Ywain and Luca up front when your guys don't have to walk around them to get to whatever hit them.

- Rescuing models from bad push angles away from hazards is fun. You can often do it in such a way that your opponent doesn't have a good push angle against either model.

- On the flip side, your opponent can't really rely on your fatigued/exhausted models protecting them from push angles either.

That's a few things I've noticed. I've certainly not pushed the ability to its limits. I do feel like Maniple needs to do more for 2 favor. Much like Sula, I feel like its designed for 8v8 and probably is a little iffy even then. Most of the other Ludii benefits feel like they scale better or are more powerful in the 3v3-5v5 that's currently fairly common.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:27 am 
Viridis

Hmm, what I hear you saying is that you can do tricks with displacement - i.e. if you want to move one of your exhausted models, then you can take a ready model and move them in such a way that they slightly overlap the exhausted model, and then you get to "flip" the exhausted model over to the other side of the moving model due to displacement?

See, that's a clever trick that I had not thought of, because I have never used or seen used these benefits in action. Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:19 am 
Crudus

The displacement thing is definitely possible, and something my Legio-playing friends do routinely. The legio mambo is a huge part of what makes them amazing, and a simple overlap, even a millimeter, and the model in front can hop to the back, or side.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:38 pm 
Noxius

My personal fave 5v5 list is Amelia, ban Luca, Aquila, Ywain and Dextarius. I have had Amelia as my MVP as she was able to kill two models in one turn by pushing into allies and using her reposition. Dextariiusa and Ywain are both tanks and movement manipulation. I love this group as it truly feels tactical like a military. I add in Sulla for 6v6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:42 pm 
Noxius

Andand the legio tactics are amazing. Since I normally play 5v5 or more, I tend to see the benefit. In lower game sizes, 2 favor is quite a bit for the repositions. Do remember though that repositions cant trigger movement reactions so your apponant can't run away from the models you just positioned.