All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: Anum and the Beasts
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:44 pm 
Noxius

Reece wrote:
Wishing wrote:
Reece wrote:
Which is also in favor for Beastia.

Forgot to comment on this... I'm not sure about that. You can play your turns in such a way that you don't take clear turns when it would be a disadvantage to you, i.e. when your beasts would attack each other, but when your beasts are all closest to the enemy, then you start taking clear turns and thus letting your beasts loose with free attacks. I still maintain that wild attacks are a powerful thing, and that Obedience is thus also a restriction and not just a bonus.

Unless you are saying that if you don't take clear turns anyway, then Obedience doesn't matter, and then Obedience cannot be a restriction... which is true, but then it can't be a bonus either. So I don't think either point means a point in favour for the bestiae. ;)

No, you're correct. I used poor wording. I meant more that the drawback of Obedience is hardly felt, with proper management, in the Beastia. Make no mistake, losing Wild attacks is a drawback.

I would like to see Obedience be contingent on Anum being on the table. Losing Anum in the Beastia is rough, especially considering you're also losing Wild attacks.

I think over anything else this is what keeps Beastia balanced. Amun is the linchpin. If he dies your efficiency and almost all benefits go out the window. A lot less risk involved when running with Morituri benefits.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:02 am 
Viridis

Chabbernackle wrote:
I think over anything else this is what keeps Beastia balanced. Amun is the linchpin. If he dies your efficiency and almost all benefits go out the window. A lot less risk involved when running with Morituri benefits.

Hmm. Sounds like you are saying that bestiae are so awesome that they need a weakness, and that weakness should be that the beasts will really struggle if you take out Anum.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that bestiae are *that* awesome, and I feel like it would be quite flavourful if the beasts lose Obedience if Anum is no longer around to keep them obedient. So I think I would suppport adding a "while Anum is in play" clause to a v2 of Obedience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:54 am 
Noxius

Haha!

I'm not sure I think the benefits are THAT awesome but I dont think someone should automatically think that the Morituri benefits are superior when running an Amun cohort.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:48 pm 
Viridis

Point well made. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:04 pm 
Crudus

Just played a couple of games using both Bestiae and Morituri. I think the Morituri benefits work better with my style of play (using two-stage Titan Beasts to control the pushing and hazards game and reduce the chance of self-wild attacks; maximizing damage through power or double attacks, etc.)... but once my opponent figured that out it was countered pretty easily (brought his own Titan in, used reposition wisely to avoid wild attacks, focused on dodging evading until my models were Exhuasted, etc.)

While I struggled with the Bestiae, my opponent used them really well and showed me their advantages.

Glad to see there isn't really a clear cut winner there and it's just a matter of maximizing the advantages each bring.

In a tournament setting I wonder how early one would have to declare the benefits they'll use. It could lead to some mind games.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:22 am 
Viridis

RidiQles wrote:
In a tournament setting I wonder how early one would have to declare the benefits they'll use. It could lead to some mind games.

I imagine that if the tournament requires pre-made lists, that choosing the benefits would have to be done at the same time as choosing the cards in the list. That feels most intuitive to me anyway. Treating the benefits card just like the rest of the cards in the list, just a "free" one. :geek:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:08 pm 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
RidiQles wrote:

I imagine that if the tournament requires pre-made lists, that choosing the benefits would have to be done at the same time as choosing the cards in the list. That feels most intuitive to me anyway. Treating the benefits card just like the rest of the cards in the list, just a "free" one. :geek:

I agree with this assessment. The other way just feels to "gamey".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:18 pm 
Noxius

Wishing wrote:
Yes, this is a new AR inspired band name.

Also a thread topic I pondered. I remember Zreef posting many pictures before of him playing 3v3 games of AR using his Anum cohort. It was basically made up of the only way that you could build a Bestiae cohort with 3 models and 3 cards that I could think of, at the time - Anum, Leo, Sereqet. The other beasts were all 2 stages and so wouldn't fit, but those two were single stage.

Since then, we have gotten two new beasts, both horses, and both single stage. So a new Bestiae cohort option which could be quite cool-looking would be Anum and the Horses. Anum, Caho-Ta, Dextarius. Hoof to face.

Zreef's early configuration is probably more environmentally appropriate, since Anum is a Morituri and thus desert-based, and I can imagine both lions and scorpions in the desert quite easily. The horses seem more northern. But I like that you can have two of the same animal this way. :)

OK, so it must be just me, but I never seem to be "happy" with any of the basic, run of the mill, groupings in tabletop games. I always seem to gravitate towards the "odd Ball" army build options. In this case, I first fell in love with the Anum model. A guy who has a pet Hyena, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!!???? Absolutely have to have him. Then I realized I could run him and beasts as a cohort and I was in hook-line-and-sinker. Now I have my Morituri and I'm waiting breathlessly for Anum to get back in stock. So now comes the question of (other than Sereqet) who should I add. Leo is an obvious choice, but what model should round out my possible cohort roster.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:24 pm 
Viridis

Shonsue wrote:
So now comes the question of (other than Sereqet) who should I add.

Caho-Ta! :D

I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what you like. Share more thoughts. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:47 pm 
Noxius

Shonsue wrote:
OK, so it must be just me, but I never seem to be "happy" with any of the basic, run of the mill, groupings in tabletop games. I always seem to gravitate towards the "odd Ball" army build options. In this case, I first fell in love with the Anum model. A guy who has a pet Hyena, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!!???? Absolutely have to have him. Then I realized I could run him and beasts as a cohort and I was in hook-line-and-sinker. Now I have my Morituri and I'm waiting breathlessly for Anum to get back in stock. So now comes the question of (other than Sereqet) who should I add. Leo is an obvious choice, but what model should round out my possible cohort roster.

For a 5 card team, I'd recommend Acerbus or Proximo (both are 2 card/stage models).

Proximo has better high end damage on his tree and does some funky stuff with Favor. He can also run hot (Relentless) and not be hosed.

Acerbus has bum total damage, but good damage for very few results and at just 4 results he nets you two favor. The 2" pushes and follow ups are no joke either.

Both of them are great models. They also have some interesting abilities on the second card, but I've never used them.