Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:00 am 
Noxius

It seems like I keep botching a rule or two in pretty much all all my past games. I'm hoping I did everything right this time. That said, this one did raise a few questions/issues, mostly in regards to Zahra and the much talked about "lash" ability...

My final 3v3 before moving to 5v5's was a solo game using the Blood Brothers vs the Morituri. I used:

Blood Brothers
- Frigge
- Vargr
- Sven

Morituri
- Zahra
- Tiet-Khebi
- Ur-Kek

Board set up as usual. 4 pillars set in a square, 2 pits, 1 on each left/right board edge on the centerline.

Game Play:
- Tactics wise, I really only used the BB Passive, and the Morituri's trigger ability once. None of the others really came up or were really needed in this game.

- In general, I avoided the pits, since they were the cause of so many deaths during my previous games. As such, most of the fight took place in the center of the board.

- After completely botching how "Disengage" worked in my last game, I corrected myself on how it should have been used. This time around, the disengage ability didn't get used at all.

- Reactions wise, each side used some move reacts in the first couple of turns until everyone got "stuck in". Frigge tried an assist or two, but they were not working. In general, I used a lot of reaction: counterattack as I usually do. Several of the Counterattacks were perfectly timed, and I think it could be safe to say they were definitely game changers this time around.

Model specific thoughts:
Urk-kek - He did alright. He was first in, and took a beating from then on. His taunt kept things focused on him for the most part, although there were some moves to get out of his range that could have warranted an Opportunity Attack if I wasn't all fatigued up. His attacks all seemed to get thwarted by good rolls on counterattacks, as such, I don't think he ever got off more than a single push whatever target he was striking. When he did die, the only model that was in his melee range was Sven, so his death trigger only got one target.

Tiet-Khebi - She's got some nice abilities in "killer", her "Asari" ability in the bottom of her tree, and in her Death trigger ability. I never really got all the way down her damage tree, no matter how many dice I rolled, again mostly due to counterattack. 3 successes was about all I could ever get out of her. The only time I got a 4th success out of her was the free one I received for attacking a badly wounded, exhausted Vargr. She did manage to kill him in that attack. It was probably just due to the poor die rolls, but I found her a bit underwhelming, given what I read about her form others.

Zahra - She was interesting, and fun to play with. Her lash ability raised a few questions, that I'll ask below, but I'll search on the forums to see if they've been answered already as well. That said, she was far from scary or OP imho. She did slap people around all over the place, but wasn't able to send anyone far enough to get anywhere near a pit. If the fight had taken place anywhere near either of the pits, I could see her being the death of more than a single gladiator.

Frigge - MVP of the match. She was face-rolling this game! She dealt 11 damage (10 after ARM) to Tiet-Khebi for the kill, and also scored the killing shot on Zahra after doing 8 (7) damage to her as well. She also went untouched that game. Intervene came into play once, she tried an assist once on Vargr to no effect, her retaliate ability only came into play once. In the end, the Blood Brothers won, and I'd say it was all due to her...

Vargr - I didn't get a lot out of him this game. He ran up, put 7 (6) damage on Ur-Kek, but I recklessly exhausted him for a power attack to do so, and he didn't live to see a clear turn. His abilities: Intercept and berserk, really didn't come into play. In hindsight, maybe I could have used disengage there at some point to save him from dying. But as they say, hindsight is 20/20...

Sven - He mainly kept beating on Ur-Kek all game, but once again, I never really used his abilities. Swift never came into play, as the morituri were always either fatigued out, or in a position where a move reaction wouldn't really do much good. Berserk also really didn't seem necessary that game either. He ended the game alive, but with only 2 hp remaining.

Questions that came up:
- If Frigge does a reaction: counterattack and succeeds in rolling more successes than the attacker, does retaliate go off? I assumed it would, but the whole "treat it as if you were the attacker instead" wording on counterattack makes me want to be certain...

- In regards to Zahra's lash, I know it's been stated in her specific thread in the rules section, but I feel either the wording on her lash, or the wording on the reactions need some alterations to come inline with what was intended. Currently, the reactions all state "within melee range" but lash merely states Zahra engages models 5" out, it doesn't clearly state anyone I saw that this is her actual melee range for reaction purposes.

- Also in regards to Lash vs Counterattack, things seem a bit wonky here as well. Counterattack doesn't mention the defender needing to be in melee range of the attacker to make a counterattack. As worded, the defender could make a counterattack vs Zahra's attack from outside the defenders melee range, but doesn't clearly state if that is intentional, or what should happen should the defender roll more successes than the attacker as it would be outside their normal melee range. (I know it was briefly covered already, just reiterating it)

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...