Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:33 am 
Noxius

Hello from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (USA).

Delgrieve and I are new to the game and the forums having picked up the game at GenCon.

We picked up the Ludus Magnus, Legio XIII, and Morituri starters, Anum and a Bestiae for him at GenCon, and ordered a Zephyri Starter which is waiting in the wings to be assembled. Del is working on painting the figures and a Playmobile Arena.

We have demo'd the game to a few of our friends and plan to demo at our local game store in a couple of months once everything is painted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:19 am 
Viridis

Sounds excellent!

I'm still hoping that Gomez, zreef, Ripper Mcguirl, Mysteriousracer X and some of the other names I've seen around regularly will join the community introductions game... ;)

Currently we've got a roll call for Sheijtan, me, Iolaran, psychogeek, AllDeadDave, RidiQles, and Arkadese. Three Europe, three US, and one Aussie.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:17 pm 
Crudus

All right, here goes...

I'm an original KS backer from Fort Collins, Colorado, USA. I think I opened my account here on the very first day it was started up - it was sloooooow going here for a long while, so it's nice to see a little regular activity these days. I started gaming 30 years ago with friends in middle school but have been mostly a (painfully slow) painter for the past 20 of those years.

My AR collection is made up of 23 miniatures:

LUDUS MAGNUS
Septimus + Nero
Septimus
Lupa
Otho
Micon
Hermes
Urbicus
Marcus Furius
Viatrix
Iason

LEGIO XIII
Aquila
Aemilia
Gaius Pallidus
(Both Valen and Ywain are on the to-buy list)

ZEPHYRI
Frigge
Sven
Vargr
Hagal
(I'll definitely be getting Hroka + Caho-Ta when I can)

MORITURI
Anum

GORGONS
Euryale
(Interested in Stheno and Medusa to round out the group and because they're amazing models, but not sure when I'll prioritize them)

UNAFFILIATED
Acerbus
Noxius
Leo
(Always been on the fence about Proximo - some days he's on the list but often he's not)

I've posted about it here before I think, but Noxius is the figure that got me to buy into the game in the first place - the narrative of the condemned slave fighting against the odds plus his artwork plus Seb Archer's WIP pics all seemed so evocative and I just felt compelled to help get the game made.

The Zephyri were characters I was most interested in originally, but there were so many great LM models that I ended up gravitating toward them in the end so they make up the bulk of my collection. Not really moved by the Morituri at all (aside from Anum - I mean, a hyena on a chain FFS!). Legio is definitely polarizing for me - IMO their minis are either the weakest overall or some of the best, with little in between. And of course the Beasts are my very favorite - Atrox can't get here soon enough, and I'm hoping for even more animals in the future (and man, if RRG wants ideas I've got some good ones).

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:18 am 
Viridis

Yeah, I love forums, so I am glad that we tend to get a couple of posts per day at the moment. It seems like the recent Gencon got some new people interested and generated some new forum users.

I love the fact that Anum is basically his own ludus, so it makes sense to see him as a special guy, not really part of the rest of the Morituri gang.

I notice that nobody has posted that they own Wendigo yet, as far as I can tell. Is he not a terribly popular model? I really like the artwork, but the model is a bit meh I think. It doesn't have that presence or sense of dread I see in the art.

Plus I guess he is the model in the game that is the least connected to any ludus rules-wise. All the beasts have Anum, the Gorgons are their own ludus, and Noxius can be any ludus. Wendigo is the only guy who has no ludus, is not a beast, is not specially called out by a ludus card, and has no ludus-related special rule.

Which is a shame really. Since he is clearly Zephyri-themed, being Atlantean, he would have been deserving of a special rule connecting him with that ludus somehow. Maybe RRG can think of something for him in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:10 pm 
Noxius

I also discovered the game at Gen Con. I have the Legio starter, and I just placed an order for the Ludus Magnus starter, Acerbus, and Anum. I also ordered the mat. So far I've played two starter games, temporarily proxying Ludus Magnus.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:35 am 
Viridis

Sweet. Your profile says you're in Pittsburgh, so that's another US player. I would expect that the vast majority of players would be US based, since RRG is based in Texas, right? I imagine that that is the case, but the enthusiastic forumites just aren't necessarily representative of player distributions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:46 am 
Noxius

Guess I never did an official introduction, so here it goes.

Been gaming since I was around 10 years old, started with Warhammer Fantasy Battle. Have about 20 years under my belt now. I'm located in the Chicago Suburbs.

I spotted this game just after the kickstarter closed. I waited for quite a while, and grabbed a rule book as soon as the webstore opened. If I remember correctly, there were only 3 gladiators available at that time. I waited patiently, and eventually kind of forgot about it.

Fast forward to Adepticon, I saw they had a booth and checked it out immediately. I walked out of that with almost all of Ludus Magnus, and managed to get a few buddies hooked as well.

My collection at the moment -

Ludus Magnus
Hermes
Iason (painted)
Infelix (painted)
Septimus (painted)
Nero w/ Septimus
Marcus Furius (Painted)
Micon (painted)
Otho Mentulus (painted)
Urbicus (painted)
Viatrix (painted)
Lupa (painted)

Legio XIII
Aquila
Ban-Luca
Urien
Gaius Pallidus
Valen
Ywien

Beasts
Leo
Acerbus
Proximo

I started the Arena Rex subreddit, and am currently organizing an Arena Rex event at an upcoming local convention. My FLGS was recently purchased by a new owner, but I hope to build a relationship there and have them start stocking the game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:40 am 
Viridis

Yay for Mysterious Racer and the subreddit! :D Thanks for the introduction. I really like a little bit of getting to know you-chat with these names that I see posting all the time in various threads on here.

I'm also really happy to see all the activity on the forum just now. I logged on this morning (CET) and three active subforums had new posts from overnight. More talk, more people thinking about and being interested in Arena Rex, more good.

The history/background forum is kinda dead, but I guess that is understandable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:29 pm 
Noxius

Hey everyone,

I am an experienced miniatures gamer but newly starting with Arena Rex. I am based in Ireland but managed to get to GenCon this year and just saw the booth and loved the models. I bought the Ludus Magnus and Morituri starters and Medusa ( The painted Medusa model at GenCon was stunning imho) and the game mat. So I am a 7 model only collector so far !
Models are assembled but unpainted and I have played just 1 game so far with my buddy. I really like it and feel it will be a great non competitive, relax and enjoy the cinematic fighting type game.
I also love the models and hope to spend a bit of extra painting time getting them looking nice.
Nice to see some activity on the forum, I looked at it straight after GenCon and it seemed less active. I am sure I will have rules questions pretty quickly.

Glad to meet ye all !