Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:24 am 
Viridis

I just noticed in the photo on facebook that Valen comes with two head options, one with a helmet and one without a helmet.

That is super cool. As a huge helmet/mask fan (http://redrepublicgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33982), it makes me much more interested in getting him that I have the option of giving him a cool mask instead of his beard-face.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:43 am 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
Sheijtan wrote:
Both are Legio XIII, yes.

Oy, weird to have a Legio gladiator that both looks like and is coloured like a Magnus gladiator. But he looks super cool. :D

I was thinking that Valen looked like Zephyrii and Ywan looks like Ludus Magnus :).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:53 am 
Viridis

Totally, me too. :lol: Valen has green pants on, right? The same colour green as RRG paints their Zephyri models?

Since you can combine the different gladiators any way you want, it's actually really interesting to think about how to paint them. With most miniature games, it feels most natural to me to divide my models into distinct separate forces and then paint them in a specific scheme. But when you can mix and match your fighters across categories, I find it harder to keep them separate in terms of how I want to paint them.

Anyway, that's a topic for another subforum I think...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:49 am 
Crudus

Keep in mind that the paint jobs on the miniatures don't necessarily match their artwork. Many of the Legio characters have red as a featured color on their art - Sulla, Urien, Aquila...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:32 pm 
Viridis

True enough, and it does seem to be the case that it can be really hard to tell what ludus a gladiator belongs to from appearance alone. Apart from Morituri I guess - any Egyptian features and it's a given. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:21 pm 
Viridis

But to restate the original point of this thread - it would be super sweet if we were lucky enough that someone other than Sheijtan's friend bought the Ywain pack and could spoil us with the rules. *fingers crossed*

Valen seems a bit like an assassin type, while also having great defensive stats. He Isolates his prey, stabs it to death with his short sword, then Fades into the shadows.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:27 pm 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
But to restate the original point of this thread - it would be super sweet if we were lucky enough that someone other than Sheijtan's friend bought the Ywain pack and could spoil us with the rules. *fingers crossed*

Valen seems a bit like an assassin type, while also having great defensive stats. He Isolates his prey, stabs it to death with his short sword, then Fades into the shadows.

My friend just got for me Ywain :) woot! I am going to try to nag him to take a photo of his card, but I feel a bit bad always nagging him (he went back to the booth and picked him up for me).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:34 am 
Viridis

Hurrah, congrats! So that's two Ywains from ninja shoppers incoming to the forum. I presume that they will be returning home soon, and so even if the ninjas can't spoil the stats, that we can get them within a few short days. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:18 pm 
Crudus

Someone posted this on the Arena Rex reddit. http://imgur.com/a/GAHTY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:25 pm 
Viridis

Fantastic, thank you! I love him. I wasn't a big fan of most of the other Legio XIII gladiators, but I really like both Valen and Ywain, so these guys increase the appeal of that ludus to me greatly.