Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:52 am 
Viridis

I can now see the official rules for Caho-Ta are up in the excellent AR wiki (http://arenarex.wikia.com/wiki/Caho-Ta). And that he/she is a single-stage beast, which makes sense. Would have been surprised otherwise. Most two-stage beasts are titans too, yeah?

The thing about horses, I guess, is that it may seem a bit weird to field them without their rider. Would we want Caho-Ta as part of Anum's Bestiae cohort? I think I could learn to want it, it would just take a little getting used to. It's easy to see a giant scorpion as a pure combat beast, a horse is a bit less easy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:17 am 
Viridis

And just because I keep confusing myself, here is a current list of all the beasts sorted by how many stages they have, and noting whether they can be a mount and/or are titans. I keep thinking that Wendigo is a beast, but he isn't.

Single-stage beasts:

Leo
Caho-Ta (mount)
Sereqet (mount + titan)

Dual-stage beasts:

Proximo (titan)
Acerbus (titan)
Nero (mount + titan)

See, I kinda thought there were more. So we have six beasts we know the rules for. Five of them are currently available in the webstore. And we have a seventh beast that we have the art for, but no rules (Atrox), and an eighth beast that we have hints about, but neither art nor rules (future mount for Ywain).

And of unaligned titans that aren't beasts, we currently have two - Wendigo (single-stage) and Euryale (dual-stage). They're just big and spooky, but not bestial.

Last edited by Wishing on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:20 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Caho-Ta is a single card, and should be on the web store in the next week or so (along with Hroka).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:55 pm 
Viridis

Super sweet. I really like those two, and I look forward to seeing the new Legio mount/beast very much too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:08 am 
Viridis

We have a fourth mountable beast model just spoiled, so I feel like this thread must be resurrected.

From Gomez:

Gomez wrote:
Sooooo, this just appeared on the interwebs...

No idea who found them or where they were first posted, but they exist on the AR wiki for now. Looks suitably badass IMO.

This would then be the final beast to make sure that each ludus has its own mount. One bull, one scorpion, and two horses for the four ludi.

I really wish this horse had a name already, but I guess we will get it sooner or later. It looks big, similar in size and pose to Proximo it seems, so I'm guessing it will be a two-stage model.

It's interesting that this model will be the first beast that is the same race as another beast. We only have one lion, one rhino, one scorpion, etc., but now we have two horses. I guess we could categorise them as "small horse" (Caho-Ta) and "big horse" (new guy). (Later edit: It seems like the two horses are actually around the same size, at least base-wise.)

I still wish that the Legio XIII mount had been a giant dire wolf, but I think this model looks cool too.

Last edited by Wishing on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:40 pm 
Crudus

FYI Ywain's mount is Dextarius. (I got the info from http://arenarex.wikia.com/wiki/Arena_Rex_Wikia.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:42 pm 
Crudus

Still no official word on this horse... maybe it's just Ywain hitting some coconut halves together...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:14 pm 
Viridis

Release is the official word! And card is here:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0743/1 ... 1481902035

So he is just a single stage, and with two rules - Charger, which makes his pushes do 2 damage instead of 1, and Overrun, which makes him shift models that he displaces 1" away from him.

Only MOV 6, so not very fast for being a horse. But he's got these cool shields strapped to him so that must be why.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:40 am 
Viridis

When I browse around reading about other games that I play, and then I look back at Arena Rex, I am still struck by how cool Arena Rex looks. And one of the main things that stand out as being super cool to me is still the mounts and their riders. They just have so much character.

And I really like that now all four major ludi have their own mounted model. I currently only own two of them, but I will definitely end up with them all one day.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of the different riders+mounts in comparison?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:55 am 
Noxius

I don't have a comparison, but I feel Zahra and Sereqet are really strong. Since you get to attack in any order, she can pull them in for Sereqet, OR Sereqet can attack first and then you can use Zahra's re-position to keep the team going on and on each turn. (I guess Caho-Ta and Hroka can do that too.) Being a Titan on top of that is also super useful. Throw in Second Wind and you really get a lot of work out of them every turn.

I felt like in some areas, they were a bit strong.