Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: To Mask or not to Mask
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:34 am 
Viridis

When I think "gladiator", the prime image that springs to my mind is that of a gladiator mask, you know the smooth ones with the holes everywhere. Don't know if there is a technical term for them. Quickly followed by a trident and a net.

What I'm wondering is how other fans of AR feel about the masks. I'm a huge mask fan myself, as I think they look great, and make the models look more sinister and combat-like than just a human face.

Looking at the model range, it is clear that Ludus Magnus is the prime mask ludus. The only other ludus that has any mask models is Morituri, that have Mago and Khepros (and Zahra has a veil that kinda counts too). Legio and Zephyri have no mask-wearing gladiators at all. But Ludus Magnus only has two models that *don't* wear masks. Annoyingly, both of them are in the starter set for LM, which is the main reason I skipped over the starter myself.

When I look at my Ur-kek model I've ordered, I'm pondering whether I should sculpt a mask on him with green stuff when I get him.

Any thoughts on masks?

P.S. In retrospect, I am thinking that this thread should have been in the model forum. Maybe a kind moderator can move it at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:00 am 
Crudus

Actually, it doesn't really bother me. I have fun painting helmets/masks, but don't mind a nice facial expression on the gladiator either.
Therefore, I have to admit I cannot agree that this is a reason to skip over the Ludus Magnus starter ;).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:10 am 
Viridis

Well, I should say that the reason I skipped over the starter wasn't the lack of masks per se, just that the two unmasked guys didn't interest me that much, and there were so many other LM models I was really excited to get. But I feel like Infelix and Furious probably would have appealed to me more if they had had masks on. :geek:

Some people really like to paint expressive human faces, this much I know. I'm just not one of those people. I'm also considering buying Thoth and sculpting a mask on him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:04 pm 
Noxius

I'm not a great painter, so masks are definitely preferable, heh.

"...To stand before the cheering crowds who secretly loathe me, to look down into the faces of the families whose children I have killed.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:39 am 
Viridis

That's an issue for me too. I feel like I'm OK at painting, but faces and especially eyes can be incredibly hard to paint well. We're talking about painting pupils that are a fraction of a millimeter, and if you get it wrong, now your model is cross-eyed or looking the wrong way or something.

I've started putting a mask on my Ur-Kek, but not sure what style to make it. I initially did one with just three face-holes, but it doesn't look good, I'll try something else.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:10 pm 
Viridis

This is how the Ur-Kek mask looks just now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:30 pm 
Noxius

Looks great I am still waiting for my models to show up so I can run a demo at my local store