Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: Entering the arena
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:31 am 
Viridis

I am home on my computer, so as asked, you shall receive.

Overhead map that shows the layout of the Ludus Magnus school buildings that have ruins left. It seems like they left the ruins of the northern half, and paved over the southern half. You can see the colosseum off to the west, where apparently there used to be a tunnel running from the LM to the arena underneath the street.

And what it looks like when you are actually standing there. Colosseum in the background. You can see that it was a square building with a round central arena inside the courtyard.

Ahh, the taste of history. :) Sadly no signs of the remains of Micon or Hermes...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:25 pm 
Noxius

Looks awesome! thanks for the pics

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:24 am 
Viridis

No problem. The ludus gallicus - which must be the same as the Legio XIII I think - apparently had their building just to the south of the LM. There just aren't any ruins of that left. But my book has an artists' impression of them. I should take a picture of the book picture too.

I feel like my collection for AR is starting to get quite large. Which makes me wonder - if there a risk that I might go nuts and ending up having a full collection? I dunno. Probably not. But I do feel like most of the models I'm not that interested in have potential for making interesting projects.

Have I spent too much money on my hobby? You could argue so, but I feel like this niche toy collection and personalization gives me a lot of joy. So it feels worth it to me, even though we are just talking about small pieces of metal and resin. I have the disposable income, and I buy AR models instead of warhammer or warmachine models, not in addition to.

Ideas for future projects:

Give Noxius a makeover by covering him in bones and fur.
Repositionings of Marcus and Infelix.
Rework my custom Euryale's upper body.
Masks for Sulla, Aquila and Urien.
Complete deconstruction and re-assembly of Urbicus.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:06 am 
Viridis

Had a game last week which was my first time taking Euryale. I tried playing the gorgon trio against a team of Ludus Magnus with Nero.

I got wiped out, as I always do because my friends are much better at games than me, but there were some interesting moments.

Basically, I moved Euryale up first, and she ended up getting charged by Nero, Septimus and Viatrix. I thought it would be cool to use her constriction to inflict damage on all three of them (I assume that it would inflict damage on both of the mounted pair), but she got her first form taken out and got exhausted, so I never had a chance to activate her before she was defeated (we weren't using ludus benefits in the game).

Medusa was supporting her in this fight, and she used her Ichor to take out Nero's first form with the two damage, which was kinda fun.

Stheno was fighting Tribune and Otho on the other flank, and she used her Dance of Death to good effect to continually fling them into hazards to exhaust them, and she ended up taking out Tribune without him having made a single attack all game. He was also very sad that her Inevitable ability completely cancelled out his Sanction ability (he gains a Favor whenever an attack against him is unsuccesful - but her ability means that she always gains one success and cannot make an unsuccesful attack).

My thought on the gorgons so far is that they seem to suffer from the fact that their second forms are much more powerful than their first, and that makes it hard to be aggressive with them I think, since there are so few of them and they need to take a lot of damage before they can shine.

Also, Stheno is really hit or miss. She has armour zero and really low damage - her second form only has 8 damage in her damage tree in total. Yikes. So she really needs to throw people into hazards with her Dance of Death ability in order to do work. But her Violent ability on her second form giving her an extra attack obviously helps with that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:58 am 
Noxius

Medusa is the only one with a chin sturdy enough to take a hit, so her taunt is fairly important. It also seems fairly important to combo that up with Ichor, though I'm not sure how much that's going to hurt the team overall on Favor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:11 am 
Viridis

Makes sense, although Taunt can be quite easy to get around - just move out of engagement range of Medusa before you hit her sister. I know that it is more complicated than that though. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 am 
Viridis

Seems like I remembered wrong about the school buildings. The one that was next to the Ludus Magnus was apparently the Ludus Aemilius, not represented in our game, though the Ludus Gallicus had a small building near that one too. Artists' rendering like thus.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 am 
Viridis

There has really not been a lot of forum activity over the last few months, which I think is a shame. Mainly, I think, because to me it relates to the interesting question of how to stay interested in a game and hobby like this one.

Keeping interested in a hobby should not be difficult - we do it because it is fun, after all. But I feel like I can see that when it comes to my leisure time, a lot of activities only really keep my interest if something *happens* around them. I watch Netflix when new episodes or shows come out that capture my interest. And the same kind of thing applies to miniature games. I work on them when something activates them. If there is no discussion on the internet, and if there are no new releases, then interest gradually fades and I get attracted by other things that seem new.

It seems like a shame because why should external activity mean something for a hobby? The hobby - collecting and painting models, arranging games with my friends - is something I do on my own initiative.

I think it is simply to do with the fact that this kind of hobby is very "fantasy" based, and it engages a part of the brain that is all about creativity and imagination. As such, it's a completely different type of experience than, say, meeting up and playing a game of pool with your friends. Pool is a game and a hobby activity, but it's not about using your imagination. I think the creative engagement that these creative hobby games require is what makes them need some kind of "fuel". And that fuel can be exciting new releases, or new ideas, or active internet discussions.

What has activated me over the last few weeks is the new release of Cato. He's my fuel right now. Maybe he will be enough to get me to finish painting my new arena. In addition to painting him when I get him, and finish off the rest of my unpainted models. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am 
Viridis

In November 2017, I posted the following ideas for future projects:

Give Noxius a makeover by covering him in bones and fur.
    Repositionings of Marcus and Infelix.
    Rework my custom Euryale's upper body.
    Masks for Sulla, Aquila and Urien.
    Complete deconstruction and re-assembly of Urbicus.

Basically all done now, except that I haven't bought Sulla or Urien yet, and Aquila is still on the painting table.

The cool thing is that I'm actually not that far from having a full collection now. I think the models I am missing are:

Gaius
Sulla
Urien
Wendigo
And Atrox (Cato and Ladon in the mail)

Next: Greeks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:48 pm 
Crudus

I check the forum regularly, but I have been consumed with other hobby-related projects, a baby, and my martial arts. I agree that I tend to need an external activator to really get going on a project/game. Right now, we are full-on Necromunda obsessed. I hope to swing the group back towards Arena Rex soon.
I hope/think that as RRG gets closer to GenCon and more releases, they'll up their involvement a little. I don't think the game is anyone's full time job, so it seems like they go a little longer with out any output than they'd like. Even if we got more design/painting/terrain articles, how-to videos, or what-not, it would probably help a lot in terms of keeping a presence.
Anyway, your stuff is badass, so keep it coming!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next