Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Entering the arena
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:12 am 
Viridis

I just spent the last few days reading up on this game and looking at the models, and I'm firmly convinced that this is a hobby game project I could really get into and enjoy.

So this is a kind of "potential new player looking for advice and thinking out loud" type of thread. I see that Zreef, a username I recognise from elsewhere (lava kriels), is here, which is a good sign.

I'm located in Europe, so I figure that I will have to order models with a significant shipping cost added, but I can see that if I decide to splurge on a large order of 150$, I get free shipping, which is nice.

In my gaming environment, I tend to get into games and introduce my friends to them using a collection of my models. So in order to play, I need two gladiator groups at a minimum.

One of them is a given - I really like the Morituri, and really like their starter trio. So they're definitely on my list. Not really into the viking thing, but the other two appeal to me as well. My issue is that my favourite model is Septimus riding Nero. So amazing. But I don't really like the Ludus Magnus starter trio models much. I guess it makes sense to just buy some individual LM gladiators to go with Septimus, but skipping over the starter for them feels a bit weird.

Having read the game rules, they remind me a bit of a mix between the World of Darkness RPG combat system and Blood Bowl / Dungeonbowl. Which is awesome.

My current thinking is that I could see collecting two distinct "factions" for my own collection - one Morituri faction, mixing normal gladiators and Anum's beasts, and one Roman faction, mixing the coolest models I can find from Ludus and Legio.

I hope this all makes sense, and I look forward to posting a thread in the painting forum once I get some models. Comments and suggestions are welcome, so I can learn the ways, since I am a total newbie here.

Post subject: Re: Entering the arena
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:13 pm 
Crudus

Totally make sense! Its OK to skip the starter, but I must say the Magnus models look really cool in person. I was not initially drawn to them, but playing vs them and seeing them painted up, you cannot go wrong with them.

:) I am glad to see you here too Wishing, you will love this game its an absolute blast and yep I did the Lava Kriels.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:07 am 
Viridis

Thank you very much!

My thinking is that since I like the LM but not the starter models, I am better off picking ones I like individually. My current thinking is that I will get Septimus, Iason and the lady with the goggles. Then I have three LM fighters to go against the three morituri fighters.

The second stage of my plan is then to get the three Gorgons. The gorgons being six cards in all, I can have the two other ludi join forces to take them on.

Then, if I still want to keep buying these models, I am thinking I will have to get an Anum bestiae cohort too. I am in love with the idea of a Leo-Proximo team. I think Proximo is my fave AR model so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:14 am 
Viridis

And... I always have the option of going back and getting the LM starter set at a later time. :D

I'm quite happy that this game has such a simple AoS style of force construction. I think I will paint my models with only minor variations in their colours based on ludus, so they will look good together also when I mix them up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:29 pm 
Viridis

Alright, so my first order has now been placed and contains:

3 Morituri (Mago, Ur-kek, Zahra)
3 Ludus Magnus (Septimus, Viatrix, Iason)
1 Proximo
1 Medusa

Which ended up being $162. I am OCD about symmetry, so it had to make up two even forces, which seems like it works, since I can make two sides of 5 cards each, with three normal gladiators and two two-stage gladiators.

I was initially going to go for the Septimus on Nero instead of the two last guys, since they are absolutely gorgeous, but then I wouldn't have had two even forces. For future orders I plan to get the other gorgons, Nero, Anum, Leo, and probably more stuff. Let's see how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:39 am 
Viridis

It will probably be a little while before they can ship the order since Gencon is this week, but that's OK as I am not in a hurry.

It's funny to think about though. My other planned game purchase for the current time is the Deathwatch Overkill boardgame from GW, which costs $135 for the box. That would be the equivalent of 7 of the 8 Arena Rex models from my order. But the Deathwatch box contains 50 models of high quality. That's what you get with mass produced plastic as opposed to resin I guess.

Arena Rex is a style of product that matches GW's Forge World line I figure, where the individual figures are sculpted and produced as collector's pieces rather than as mass-produced game tokens. So they are costly, and that's part of their appeal I think - they feel more special and exclusive because they haven't got the huge financial backing to produce them in huge bulk.

But for me the most important thing is the feel and atmosphere of the game. What draws me to AR is a combination of the gladiatorial theme in a mytho-historical world, and the elegance I see in the game. That the game can be played with only three models per side is just wonderful, and it seems to have a great deal of tactical depth despite its limited scope, more like a boardgame than a traditional wargame. It reminds me of Dungeonbowl, one of my favourite games of all time, that I've bought and painted hundreds of models for.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:42 pm 
Crudus

Wishing you will not be disappointed! These models are top notch quality, the detailing is excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:19 am 
Viridis

I hope so, I am sure they will be great to work with. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:30 am 
Viridis

I was just writing a post for my long-neglected livejournal (retro, I know) where I talk a little bit about my thoughts on Arena Rex. In case anyone isn't tired of reading my personal AR blog in the form of this thread, the post is here: http://senshichamber.livejournal.com/8843.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:55 pm 
Viridis

Alright, my models got here, and pretty quickly too. They look fantastic, but are definitely for advanced modellers, I would say. Some extremely small contact points to put together, knowing how to pin tiny joints is essential here I think.

Already pondering my next step, though I think I have to make a pledge that I won't buy any more models until I've painted these ones first. I'm mainly thinking that I really want at least one mounted model, preferably two, so I'm thinking my next order will include probably both mounted Zahra and Hroka. Although I still think Nero looks amazing, right now I'm more drawn to getting the other two, though I cannot explain exactly why.