Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: Entering the arena
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:14 am 
Viridis

Thank you very much, and I agree that even though it can be nice that the game doesn't have frequent releases, I would enjoy a little more activity from the company in terms of news and promotional stuff.

The last news article on the website is from January 2017, about their painting competition. Before that, the last design spotlight, that talked about a model in the game, is from November 2015. That's not a lot of traffic of promotions. :)

Over the last few months I bought and painted up some Shadespire warbands myself - a game that seems heavily influenced by Arena Rex, in that it uses the same "roll attack dice as a contest vs. defense dice" mechanic that AR does, and promotes itself as a "game of tactical arena combat". It was fun to do and play a few games of, but I prefer AR, even though I like that SS uses a hex board.

Ladon and Cato seem really cool, so that is a new release I am happy about. I think I will probably end up getting Atrox too some day. We'll see about the Helleniki.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:53 am 
Viridis

Apparently my Cato is already here, being held hostage by customs. That was only 10 days or so since I ordered - it used to be like three weeks. Very impressed. :)

Prices are always high when I order direct from RRG tho. Import tax on Cato plus Ladon ran at 40$. So rounding off...

Cato 20$
Ladon 45$
Shipping 25$
Tax 40$

130$ total - or 830 Danish Kr - where shipping and handling is exactly half of that. Not exactly cheap, for one rider and one mount. But I know they are luxury models, and that I enjoy that this game is built around individuals, not units. The most important thing is that I have the income to not have to feel bad about expensive hobby purchases.

I know I have done the pricing post before, sorry for repeating myself - I just like reminding myself what the actual costs of my hobby are. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:19 am 
Crudus

I am a cheap and budget gamer so that is way beyond me at this point!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:25 pm 
Viridis

It looks like you are planning to get Cato and Ladon too though (I think everyone is, they just seem so cool). I'm guessing the difference is just that you are in the states and therefore don't have to suffer the international tariffs. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:59 pm 
Crudus

very true

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:20 am 
Viridis

So last night I got my hands on my largest single order of AR models yet - all the new Greeks from Gencon, plus Urien, so seven models in total. Phew.

This means I am getting closer and closer to actually having a full collection - all I am missing is Sulla, Gaius, Atrox and Wendigo. Plus the two I sculpted myself, Euryale and Acerbus. Even though I "have" them already, they don't really count from a collecting standpoint. ;)

Having a full collection isn't actually anything I care about as a goal - but since I enjoy buying and working with the models, as long as I keep wanting to do that, I will probably get there eventually.

My main source of satisfaction is when I get to do modifications to the models, and I have already started chopping up the Greek guys real good. Not all of them - I imagine Theophania will remain untouched other than assembly. But the other ones.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:25 am 
Crudus

Cant wait to see them! you should post disassembled pic after they are cut up!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:47 am 
Viridis

Like this? This is the most cutting up I did outside of Antaeus...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:28 am 
Crudus

YES! mini man in pieces!
Wishing wrote:
Like this? This is the most cutting up I did outside of Antaeus...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:05 am 
Viridis

I actually cut his shield arm into two pieces after I took that photo too.

One thing I am wondering is: Now that we got a huge bundle of Greeks recently, when will we get anything new after them? Was that our allocation for the next two years? Or will they ramp up releases and release many more models each year than they have so far?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next