Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: BB vs Magnus (Long)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:26 pm 
Noxius

I recently brought my Arena Rex stuff up to my LGS to give some of my gaming buddies a look at the game. We got in a 3v3 with me using my beloved Ludus Magnus while my friend played the Blood Brothers. (Like most gamers in my area, he's in love with Vikings... I on the other hand am obsessed with Rome) All in all, he seemed to enjoy the game, and will probably be downloading the rules and doing some testing on his own as well. Maybe if my buddy sees this after signing up on the forums he can chime in with his view of things. Anyways, here's some of my observations:

Magnus Cohort (just trying random/new models)
- Infelix
- Viatrix
- Iason

vs

Blood Brothers
- Frigge
- Bjarrhvit
- Hroka

We used a 36" x 36" table, with 5 large pillars placed just like the pips of a dice, and 2 pits on either side of the board edge on the centerline.

General Gameplay:
- explaining the game to him felt a bit awkward, but it could have just been due to my still relative inexperience. He grasped the game as just as well as I did, so I must have explained it okay. That said, see below..

- I realized part way through that I had been botching the tactics rules all along. I didn't realize they could only be used during a clear turn, and after that realization I don't think we really used any tactics aside from passives after that. In general, I've got some mixed feelings on tactics in general, so I'll probably have to start up a thread about tactics to dive deeper into them and see how other people feel about them. After all, it could just be an issue on my end and that I'm not utilizing them properly...

- I like Ludus magnus' passive tactics, and the Blood Brother's passive tactic seems solid as well.

- One of the pits claimed 4 out of 6 gladiators, and almost claimed a 5th.

- From my end, Disengage was extremely powerful. I would almost say too powerful against some lists, given that in most cases, after receiving 3 damage they could utilize disengage and back out of combat, and take no further damage. Basically, if I rolled anything decent, he backed out after suffering only minimal damage. Honestly, if it wasn't for the pit, I may not have scored a single kill at all. Just like with tactics, I may start up a disengage thread to see how other people view the ability and discuss it further. It could also mean that I start using models with the Entangle ability as a sort of soft counter to disengage...

- There was a bit more movement in this one, due to all the disengaging and multiple pushes, but the fight still centered exclusively around one of the pits. as with other games, once we were stuck in, we weren't going any aside from pushes. I'm wondering if the game board should be maxed at 24", with smaller sizes also remaining perfectly viable, as in all the games I've played so far, we always ended fighting in a single section of the board, leaving a ton of space completely untouched. (Fights seem to take place either center of the board, or around a pit) Tighter confines may mean getting pushed into a pillar would be far more likely without the need to litter the board with them. Personally, I just prefer the looks of a more symmetrical board, with fewer columns littered about.

Model Specific:
Infelix - He's got a ton of damage output, along with swift, but DEF 1 and ARM 0 make him a huge glass cannon. Only issue is, disengage takes away the cannon and leave only the glass part! I rushed him up, and he almost 1-shot Bjarrhvit because my opponent (being new) forgot about disengage. As this was his 1st game, and in general I'm just a nice guy, I let him take back how he did his damage allocation so he could utilize disengage. In other words, instead of doing 12 damage, I only did 3 before she backed out of his melee range. Shortly after this, he was singled out and pushed into a pit.

Viatrix - I brought her to test her taunt ability. The plan was to team her up with Infelix, to try and keep him alive by making it so the enemy could only attacker her, but she arrived a turn too late to do so. Aside from taunt, and DEF 3, she's pretty average. During our game, she did manage to push Hroka into the pit before getting pushed into it herself.

Iason - I liked his art, and wanted to give him a try. I expected his intervene to make him annoying, but it really wasn't all that useful in this particular game. Support really wasn't all that helpful this game, as I never really got the opportunity to use it, he always seemed to have a fatigue on him so i couldn't react or I was low on favor and didn't want to use it on his support ability. He felt pretty average to me, although his DEF3 was nice. Tireless + Intervene would definitely add to some movement shenanigans and make him really interesting imo...

Frigge - My opponent went from saying "she's not as good as I thought she'd be" to "omg, she's awesome!" He didn't seemed too impressed at first with intervene, but he started to see its uses, but it was retaliate that sealed the deal for him. especially once he started working in Intervene + retaliate. I had a few flubbed rolls where retaliate went off, but the real strength of retaliate is when she performs a successful counterattack. Her damage tree comes with a decent mix, and she's got DEF 3, and disengage. She's pretty solid imo...

Bjarrvhit - My opponent never really had the chance to use her spirit guide ability at all, but I found her pretty annoying regardless. I spoke briefly about my thoughts on disengage, which meant I could really only truly do damage in 3's regardless of how I rolled. Her damage tree seems interesting. It has plenty of pushes and a reposition, as well as a couple of 3's. In general, I think my opponent utilized her multitude of pushes more than anything to send 1, if not 2 of my gladiators into the nearby pit.

Hroka - We really didn't see a whole lot from her. She managed to finish someone off to get her killer effect, as well as her War Cry ability, although I'm not sure how my opponent used it, maybe to angle himself better towards a pit. Shortly after he War Cry, she ended up in the pit herself!

In the end, the Blood Brothers (or should I say Sisters) ended up with the win. I couldn't put any high numbers on the BB Gladiators without getting disengaged, and with a lot of pushes at their disposal along with a nearby pit, the BB Gladiators didn't really have to worry a whole lot about getting numbers on my Magnus Gladiators. In hindsight, maybe I could have utilized the maneuver tactic on clear turns as well as just given up Opportunity Attacks to dance around into an ideal position relative to the pits in order to force them to go for damage and perhaps then I could have had an easier time pushing them into the pit instead.

All in all, my friend seemed to enjoy the game, plus I got the chance to try out some new models, and gain a better insight into the game. I think I may try BB vs Morituri in a 3v3, then after that move up to playing 5v5's...

**edit: I've also noticed that I tend to rush in to try and get 3v1 on a target, which I could probably stop doing. I could probably also better utilize the react move much more than I have been in these last few games, which could feasibly get me out of trouble situations and make for some more dynamic games in the movement department...

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...

Post subject: Re: BB vs Magnus (Long)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:19 pm 
Noxius

WuhSawBe wrote:
IFrigge - My opponent went from saying "she's not as good as I thought she'd be" to "omg, she's awesome!"

Funnily enough that's kind of how I reacted to seeing her rules on paper (except without the initial "not as good" impression). I automatically assumed (correctly) that the damage goes right through armour.

I believe Viatrix is designed to work with a damage dealer as a team, forcing victims to lash out at her and keeping the damage dealer alive. I reckon she'd go well with Aquila, Infelix etc.

It's a shame you didn't get much sue out of Bjarrhvit. A lot of people seem to be testing Hroka which is strange as I'm seeing much better synergies in a Frigge, Sven, Vargr & Bjarrhvit lineup myself. Hroka's fast and dangerous but I'm seeing more synergy with the infantry figures.

Nice little write up there WuhSawBe. I really need to get some testing in myself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:45 pm 
Noxius

You know, I never considered using disengage in my game... May have made it much more interesting.

Thanks for that write up!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 pm 
Noxius

No problem guys, thanks for the responses!

I totally agree Viatrix, teamed up with Infelix would have been good. Sadly, I threw Infelix too far forward and Viatrix arrived just a turn too late. :(

Yeah, my buddy was the one using the Blood Brotherhood. I tried to put into my post some of his thoughts on each piece as well as my own.

In regards to playing Hroka, he chose Bjarrjvit and Frigge first, but struggled to decide on a 3rd. He threw Hroka in on a whim to play an all girls squad.

Try out Disengage, I'd be interested to see what you think of it. It annoyed me to no end, because at the start I had some insanely good rolls that ended up doing only 3 damage because of disengage. It was kind of a routine: I hit him, dealt 3 damage to his gladiator, he disengaged making the rest of my attacks pointless. It happened like that at every opportunity it seemed...

*** EDIT: Played a solo game using the same cohorts as above. It was probably my best, most dynamic game thus far. I played a bit more defensive , utilized reaction moves a lot to move out of combat and in general, a lot of movement, a lot of jockeying for position. But the game still took place in the typical 6" bubble. I got to utilize Bjarrhvit's spirit guide, which was pretty strong, and shutdown a lot of the potential counters from the Magnus side. I also managed to get Viatrix and Infelix working together this time, which was also nice until the Spirit Guide shutdown my opportunity attacks. In the end, I'd still say it was disengage, along with the strong BB passive tactic that won the day for Viking-girls. Good stuff! **

Thanks again for the comments guys!

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:39 am 
Noxius

WuhSawBe wrote:
Try out Disengage, I'd be interested to see what you think of it. It annoyed me to no end, because at the start I had some insanely good rolls that ended up doing only 3 damage because of disengage. It was kind of a routine: I hit him, dealt 3 damage to his gladiator, he disengaged making the rest of my attacks pointless. It happened like that at every opportunity it seemed...

I think you did not play disengage correctly (as per the current test rules state). See this post:

RRG_walker wrote:
Lord Nat wrote:
...you go through the damage tree moving the models as you select the boxs in the tree. Once you've run out of boxes / successes you then calcuate the amount of damage minus the armour the mark of the vitality boxes. If your alive (which if undamaged you should be. most models can only do a max of 12 damage if they get 5 successes more than the defender) you move.

The damage is applied as a lump sum at the end, so this is correct.

The resolution in order and loss of extra successes was initially and primarily centered around attackers with re-position leaving halfway through their damage tree. We'll chat about it, though -- combined with the discussion on hazards and multiple pushes, this is something I plan on looking at closely.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:10 pm 
Noxius

You are correct, I did apparently do the disengage wrong.... Sigh, it's always something it seems! Hopefully in the next iteration of the rules that will be made a bit more clear as it seemed I was not the only one to think everything (including damage) was done "one box at a time".

Disengage is not as powerful as I 1st thought then...